This is emma, I am studying Chinese-English code-switching

  • emma_qinwen
    Message 1 of 7 , May 18, 2005
      Hi,
      This is emma.I am a Chinese.
      I am in Shanghai now. Nowadays, Shanghai becomes an international city.
      So many Chinese teenagers and young guys can speak English, and they
      consider speaking English as a world trend and fashion.They do switch
      from Chinese to English, or from English to Chinese.
      I am recording people's conversation on the street, shops, and so on. I
      am doing research and writing dissertations about code-switching.
      If you are interested in this topic, let's share~~

      Best regards,
      Emma
    • Bonnie Liao
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2005
        Hi Emma,

        I've been on this list for a while hoping to learn the code-switching impact
        on the bilingual ability of children born to Chinese-speaking parents in the
        United States (or a different heritage language in a birth country speaking
        another language). I suppose that it'd be ideal for these kids to speak only
        one language at a time, for instance, only Chinese at home with their
        parents. However, I wonder, if children or parents could not stick to one
        language (Chinese) at home, would it be beneficial to promote code-switching
        at home as a way for giving these kids some exposure to the Chinese
        language? Or would doing so have a negative impact on the children's English
        ability?

        I wonder if your study in Shanghai would cover anything related to this. If
        so, I would be interested in your insight.

        Best,
        Bonnie
        YingHua Language School
        www.yinghua.org
        > I am in Shanghai now. Nowadays, Shanghai becomes an international city.
        > So many Chinese teenagers and young guys can speak English, and they
        > consider speaking English as a world trend and fashion.They do switch
        > from Chinese to English, or from English to Chinese.
        > I am recording people's conversation on the street, shops, and so on. I
        > am doing research and writing dissertations about code-switching.
        > If you are interested in this topic, let's share~~
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Emma

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jan Blommaert
        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2005
          yep, interested!
          Jan Blommaert

          > I am in Shanghai now. Nowadays, Shanghai becomes an international city.
          > So many Chinese teenagers and young guys can speak English, and they
          > consider speaking English as a world trend and fashion.They do switch
          > from Chinese to English, or from English to Chinese.
          > I am recording people's conversation on the street, shops, and so on. I
          > am doing research and writing dissertations about code-switching.
          > If you are interested in this topic, let's share~~
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Emma

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Don Osborn
          Message 4 of 7 , May 25, 2005
            Helo Emma, Bonnie, all,

            This all sounds quite interesting. Here are a few quick reactions
            (writing from Chengdu).

            1. In the code-switching, are we talking about 2 or three
            languages/dialects? IOW, in Shanghai are people also switching
            between Shanghaiyu and Puthonghua (Mandarin) as well as English? This
            makes the issue more complex but possibly more interesting as well.

            2. In the bilingual education issue, it seems to me that there is a
            real need for more good information and indeed parental education on
            this subject. There's quite a lot of research and different methods -
            it is very possible for children to learn two or more languages in a
            bilingual or multilingual environment. The key is (a) naive speaker
            ability among the models for the languages and (b) some
            predictability in place and person as to what language/code is used.
            Then they sort out the grammars and all. (My son has English and
            Puthonghua and surprises folks with his Sichuanhua.)

            Don Osborn

            --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie Liao"
            <bonnieliao@c...> wrote:
            > Hi Emma,
            >
            > I've been on this list for a while hoping to learn the code-
            switching impact
            > on the bilingual ability of children born to Chinese-speaking
            parents in the
            > United States (or a different heritage language in a birth country
            speaking
            > another language). I suppose that it'd be ideal for these kids to
            speak only
            > one language at a time, for instance, only Chinese at home with
            their
            > parents. However, I wonder, if children or parents could not stick
            to one
            > language (Chinese) at home, would it be beneficial to promote code-
            switching
            > at home as a way for giving these kids some exposure to the Chinese
            > language? Or would doing so have a negative impact on the
            children's English
            > ability?
            >
            > I wonder if your study in Shanghai would cover anything related to
            this. If
            > so, I would be interested in your insight.
            >

            > Best,
            > Bonnie
            > YingHua Language School
            > www.yinghua.org
            English
            > code-switching
            >

            > > Hi,
            > > This is emma.I am a Chinese.
            > > I am in Shanghai now. Nowadays, Shanghai becomes an international
            city.
            > > So many Chinese teenagers and young guys can speak English, and
            they
            > > consider speaking English as a world trend and fashion.They do
            switch
            > > from Chinese to English, or from English to Chinese.
            > > I am recording people's conversation on the street, shops, and so
            on. I
            > > am doing research and writing dissertations about code-switching.
            > > If you are interested in this topic, let's share~~
            > >
            > > Best regards,
            > > Emma

            > > Web page: http//groups.yahoo.com/group/code-switching
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • lois
            Message 5 of 7 , May 25, 2005
              Hi, emma,
              This is lois, chinese too. currently i am studying in UK. I am thinking
              of working on my dissertation about code switching back in china. so,
              just want to know if I can get sufficient reference books about code
              switching in china.

              Many thanks indeed.
              Lois
              --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "emma_qinwen" <emma_qinwen@y...>
              wrote:
              > Hi,
              > This is emma.I am a Chinese.
              > I am in Shanghai now. Nowadays, Shanghai becomes an international
              city.
              > So many Chinese teenagers and young guys can speak English, and they
              > consider speaking English as a world trend and fashion.They do switch
              > from Chinese to English, or from English to Chinese.
              > I am recording people's conversation on the street, shops, and so on.
              > am doing research and writing dissertations about code-switching.
              > If you are interested in this topic, let's share~~
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Emma
            • Don Osborn
              Message 6 of 7 , May 26, 2005
                Sorry, 2(a) should have been "native speakler ability" (not "naive").
                The point being that if the model(s) (primarily parents) do not have
                a really high level in a language they try to use with the child,
                then the results are not ideal ("bad code"-switching??). Or so I'm
                given to understand. DZO

              • eunice eshun
                Message 7 of 7 , May 28, 2005
                  Hello Emma,.
                  i'm Eunice, i'm in ghana and in the uni. i'm also writing my long essay and the mixing of akan and english languages. unfortunately, i dont have any chinese material but good luck in your work.