Re: code-decline

  • petek kurtboke
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2000
      Daniel,
      Language Contact researchers have been asking the same question/s for the
      last five decades and nobody has come up with a satisfactory answer yet.
      You're welcome to have a look at the Links folder of our e-group for an
      overview of such questions and non-answers, also for a discussion on
      'codeness vs languageness' in bilingual settings. A shift of research focus
      from labels to patterns might be more beneficial to all.
      Best wishes
      Petek

    • Celso Alvarez Caccamo
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2000
        Hello,

        The phenomenon that Daniel describes (using "English" for
        expressing concepts lacked in "Spanish", or viceversa) was
        dubiously labelled by Carmen Silva-Corvalán as the "Compensate
        for Lack of Competence" function of "code-shifting". In my
        mind, this is not a very spectacular "function", as we do that
        constantly in monolingual speech as well: one resorts to
        whatever lexical repertoire of whatever level to find the
        right words for what we have in mind. Actually, we resort to
        whatever communicative resources (signalling systems) we have
        at our disposal.

        The difference between "monolingual" and "bilingual" speech,
        in this respect, is that bilinguals (the more educated, the
        clearer) typically also have at their disposal the
        metalinguistic notions about "languages" such as "English"
        and "Spanish", so metapragmatic awareness about what "language"
        is being used is salient. This consciousness is, in itself,
        also a communicative resource, very much connected to literacy
        and to monolingual language ideologies.

        Reference:

        Silva Corvalán, Carmen. 1983. "Code-shifting patterns in
        Chicano Spanish". In Spanish in the U.S. setting. Beyond the
        Southwest, ed. by Lucía Elías-Olivares. Rosslyn: National
        Clearinghouse for Bilingual Education, 69-87.

        Celso Alvarez Cáccamo Tel. +34 981 167000 ext. 1888
        Linguística Geral, Faculdade de Filologia FAX +34 981 167151
        Universidade da Corunha lxalvarz@...
        15071 A Corunha, Galiza (Espanha) http://www.udc.es/dep/lx/cac/