hello!

  • qsinka
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2005
      hi, my name is Marta, I'am new here and it's my first post!
      I'm interested in code switching because actually I'm about to write
      an essay in this subject.
      I'm a student of linguistic and sociology at one of the german
      universities, which is situated at the border between Poland and
      Germany. This particular location causes as many intercultural
      conflicts as intercultural approaches, especially because of the
      variety of nationalities present on the university campus.
      I would like to make an research on a group of polish students who
      are using many inassimilated german words while talking in polish. I
      hope you understand what I mean - there is a german university with
      lectures given only in german and a large group of polish students
      talking "germanised" polish between themselves.
      I classified this as code-switching phenomenon, I already read some
      books about bilinguals, borrowings etc. and actually the problem is
      that my promoting teacher thinks hat I'am wrong. In his opinion
      these are only temporary borrowingswhich have nothing to do with
      code-switching. What do you think about that?
      Is the code-switching phenomenon present only in stricte bilingual
      milieus (those students are bilingual only in some part, they are
      using german language in some official areas, they speak polish in
      their privacy)?
      Does code-switching occures when somebody uses a whole phrase or
      maybe aready one word is enough?
      Thanks already for all messages,
      see you soon!
      m.