Re: [code-switching] code switching

  • Silvina Faure
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 6, 2004
      Hi everyone!
      My name is Silvina. I live in Argentina and I am a teacher of English. I'm very interested in Lingüistics and I'm planning to take up a postgraduate course on that.
      I've read Zahra's mail looking for information on code-switching. As far as I know - and speaking from a personal perspective as well - when an individual is bilingual he/she attaches a particular language to specific domains. When dealing with feelings and personal issues, the mother tongue is likely to come up as the best vehicle to deal with these. Therefore, two people can work together and use their second language as the language of work, but switch to their mother tongue when they are having a more intimate conversation. From my personal experience, it wouldn't cross my mind to use English with my children when we are having a personal conversation, it would be impersonal and less sincere. Therefore, I only do so for casual chit chat. The same applies to diglossic situations, for example, in Paraguay Spanish is used in educational and official contexts, whereas jokes and family talk - the type of interaction that aims at strengthening social bonds - takes place in Guaraní. I think this is so because language is so inextricably linked to culture and to identity. Well, hope to read what others have to say,
      Best,
      Silvina
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 7, 2004
        hi everyone,
        silvina...there is a problem....what you are talking
        about is alternation i.e. use of different languages
        in different domains et....however, code
        mixing/switching is when you mix two languages in the
        same sentence or maybe speak out one clause in one
        language and another in another language. to put it
        nicely, we can say say that code mixing can be
        intersentential or intrasentential........ (i dont
        want to go into the details of nomenclature here but
        code mixing and swithching can be used for each other
        though it is better to use inter- or intra-sentential
        to clarify what we are saying)...
        lidaa

        --- Silvina Faure <si_re_fa@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone!
        > My name is Silvina. I live in Argentina and I am a
        > teacher of English. I'm very interested in
        > Ling�istics and I'm planning to take up a
        > postgraduate course on that.
        > I've read Zahra's mail looking for information on
        > code-switching. As far as I know - and speaking from
        > a personal perspective as well - when an individual
        > is bilingual he/she attaches a particular language
        > to specific domains. When dealing with feelings and
        > personal issues, the mother tongue is likely to come
        > up as the best vehicle to deal with these.
        > Therefore, two people can work together and use
        > their second language as the language of work, but
        > switch to their mother tongue when they are having a
        > more intimate conversation. From my personal
        > experience, it wouldn't cross my mind to use English
        > with my children when we are having a personal
        > conversation, it would be impersonal and less
        > sincere. Therefore, I only do so for casual chit
        > chat. The same applies to diglossic situations, for
        > example, in Paraguay Spanish is used in educational
        > and official contexts, whereas jokes and family talk
        > - the type of interaction that aims at strengthening
        > social bonds - takes place in Guaran�. I think this
        > is so because language is so inextricably linked to
        > culture and to identity. Well, hope to read what
        > others have to say,
        > Best,
        > Silvina

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • Silvina Faure
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 9, 2004
          All right, Lidaa. As far as I knew, code-switching applies to
          intersentential alternation and code mixing refers to alternation within the
          same sentence. I think the situation I described is an instance of
          code-switching according to domain. There are other instances in which
          code-switching can be used to indicate mood, intention, etc. Anyway, I
          entered this list to learn more so it's always enriching to read what others
          say.