Re: [code-switching] Re: Instruction using code-switching

  • dvilla@nmsu.edu
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 18, 2004
      Jim's point is very well taken. I should mention that here in New Mexico
      it is constitutionally mandated that English _or_ Spanish will and can be
      used in certain state governmental contexts (thanks to Tom Mason on a fine
      paper on this at the last LASSO conference), and we of course are a state
      institution. However, except for Hawai'i, we are the only state w/ such a
      mandate (and the only one to specify Spanish as the "other" language). I
      can only repeat Jim's request, has anyone has run across such repressive
      practices in other regions.

      Daniel

      On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, FIDELHOLTZ_DOOCHIN_JAMES_LAWRENCE wrote:

      > Hi, all,
      >
      > Dan's answer is apropos and good. But one point remains (I assume no one on
      > this list is going to support non-code-switching in L2 classes!): Zoe says,
      > 'If it is not prohibited by the institution, ...' Aside from the
      > pedagogical idiocy such a policy would imply, wouldn't this impinge on
      > academic freedom? Does anyone know of an institution anywhere with any such
      > policy? (at any level) I would be aghast and/or horrified if that were the
      > case (but not necessarily surprised; after all, apparently about half of US
      > voters are going to vote for Bush, so anything is possible).
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > dvilla@... escribió:
      >

      > > Zoe Brown wrote:
      > >

      > >> If it is not prohibited by the institution, here is my general
      > >> question: If we want to teach a subject (e.g., English) through the
      > >> medium of another language (e.g., Spanish) can the instruction be in
      > >> Spanish and the target words/sounds/letters be in English.
      > >> Here's an example.

      > James L. Fidelholtz
      > Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
      > Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla MÉXICO

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • cuneo9999
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 18, 2004
        In my experience in language teaching at public institutions and one
        private institution there has often been a departmental prohibition
        expressed against using the non-target language in the classroom. One
        of the evaluation criteria for instructors teaching Spanish and
        Portuguese at a large public university in California, for example,
        was: "Conducts class entirely in Spanish/Portuguese." At a private
        school where I taught ESL, most of my students spoke an L1 in which I
        had no proficiency, but even with those few who were Spanish-speakers
        it was understood that I would only speak English. But I'm not sure
        language teaching per se was the point of the original posting.
        Laura Callahan

        --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, dvilla@n... wrote:

        > Jim's point is very well taken. I should mention that here in New
        Mexico
        > it is constitutionally mandated that English _or_ Spanish will and
        can be
        > used in certain state governmental contexts (thanks to Tom Mason on
        a fine
        > paper on this at the last LASSO conference), and we of course are a
        state
        > institution. However, except for Hawai'i, we are the only state w/
        such a
        > mandate (and the only one to specify Spanish as the "other"
        language). I
        > can only repeat Jim's request, has anyone has run across such
        repressive
        > practices in other regions.
        >
        > Daniel
        >
        > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, FIDELHOLTZ_DOOCHIN_JAMES_LAWRENCE wrote:
        >

        > > Hi, all,
        > >
        > > Dan's answer is apropos and good. But one point remains (I
        assume no one on
        > > this list is going to support non-code-switching in L2
        classes!): Zoe says,
        > > 'If it is not prohibited by the institution, ...' Aside from the
        > > pedagogical idiocy such a policy would imply, wouldn't this
        impinge on
        > > academic freedom? Does anyone know of an institution anywhere
        with any such
        > > policy? (at any level) I would be aghast and/or horrified if
        that were the
        > > case (but not necessarily surprised; after all, apparently about
        half of US
        > > voters are going to vote for Bush, so anything is possible).
        > >
        > > Jim
        > >
        > > dvilla@n... escribió:

        through the

        > > James L. Fidelholtz
        > > Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
        > > Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla MÉXICO

        > > Web page: http//groups.yahoo.com/group/code-switching
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • ada espinoza
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 20, 2004
          Hi Zoe, I'm english teacher, and i consider you can teach english or whatever subject using code-switching if you see it as communicative strategy, i mean it is used to reach a goal: create the conditions to make the students less anxious to release their tonge and make them talk.
          Try to use it just in case, but make your group paraphrase instead of switch.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 20, 2004
            Hal, that's an interesting case of so-called "situational" alternation
            connected to medium: code-and-medium-switching. Apart from the very
            specific constraints, it resembles pure diglossia ;-) . There's a paper by
            Auer (don't remember the title) that discusses the scope of "switching". It
            said something like (I'm reinterpreting wildly): must "c-s" be applied only
            to alternation between instances of "types of messages" using the same
            medium (or is that the "code"), and/or also between messages produced via
            two different types of media/channels? For example, is the alternation
            between kanji and Latin script in Japanese "code-switching" even when the
            expression in Latin orthography is usually not written otherwise (as in
            proper nouns)? More clearly, what about the letter-ideogram combination in

            I <Heart symbol>
            N Y

            in shirts?

            Oh, here is the paper reference:

            Peter Auer. (1989). A discussion paper on code alternation. Paper presented
            at the First Conference of the European Network on Code-Switching on
            Concepts, Methodology and Data. Bâle, January 1989.

            I'm afraid Auer may have not asked those things exactly, I should find and
            re-read his paper.

            -celso

            At 12:18 18-10-2004 -0400, you wrote:

            >Well, I can give you an example of an institution that wouldn't allow
            >code-switching in the classroom. I taught English for a while (decades
            >ago), in a Berlitz school in Germany, and we weren't allowed to use German
            >ever, at all, in the classroom. The rooms were even wired (bugged) so
            >that they could listen in and see if we were switching. So I finally just
            >learned to write German on the board if I needed to use it.
            >
            >Hal Schiffman
          • jrbloom13
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 12, 2004
              Can the strategic use of the L1 for the purpose of acquiring and L2
              be considered as codeswitching?

              From my research there seems to be a trend that codeswitching holds a
              more pragmatic or sociolinguistic function and not a pedagogical
              one. Gumprez (1982) suggested that codeswitching applies to
              competent bilingual speakers, that it is done unconsciously and that
              it holds a discourse function much like mono-lingual speakers use of
              stress, intonation, etc.

              Studies/articles on classroom based codeswitching tend to stress the
              power domination of the languages and Gumprez's We/They code
              inclusions-exclusions. These studies are not usually conducted on
              language acquisition classes but rather on classes where the L2 is
              used as the means of instruction.

              So I state my question again. Is it codeswitching to use it
              strategically for second langauge acquisition?

              JR

              pur--- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "cuneo9999"
              <lcallahan68@h...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > 'If it is not prohibited by the institution, ...' Aside from
              the
              > > > pedagogical idiocy such a policy would imply, wouldn't this
              > impinge on
              > > > academic freedom? Does anyone know of an institution anywhere
              > with any such
              > > > policy? (at any level) I would be aghast and/or horrified if
              > that were the
              > > > case (but not necessarily surprised; after all, apparently
              about
              > half of US
              > > > voters are going to vote for Bush, so anything is possible).
              > > >
              > > > Jim

              > through the
              > be in

              > > > James L. Fidelholtz
              > > > Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
              > > > Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla MÉXICO

              > > > Web page: http//groups.yahoo.com/group/code-switching

            • cdnilep
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 15, 2004
                --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "jrbloom13" <jrbloom13@y...>
                wrote:

                > Can the strategic use of the L1 for the purpose of acquiring and L2
                > be considered as codeswitching?

                Several authors discuss "codeswitching" as a learning strategy or
                even a pedagogical tool. This work can be problematic, however.

                For example, Sandra Fotos (2001) calls Japanese students using their
                L1 as a "learning strategy" in the EFL classroom "codeswitching."
                However, Fotos does not offer a working definition of codeswitching,
                and it becomes difficult to see how the behaviors she cites are
                selected.

                As a rough guide for myself, I tend to separate so-called code
                switching research into two groups: work using sociocultural/
                functional definitions such as that proposed by Gumperz (1982, etc.),
                and work that considers structural or formal aspects of language
                alternation (e.g. Myers-Scotton 1993). Both types of work (and an
                entire continuum extending through and beyond these scholars) tend to
                use the word codeswitching (or code switching or code-switching), but
                they don't always speak to one another.

                That said, if you are prepared to accept Fotos's version of code
                switching (which, as I said, is not explicitly formulated here), her
                literature review points to a great number of studies that treat the
                use of L1 in L2 classrooms as code switching.

                Fotos, S. 2001. 'Codeswitching by Japan's unrecognized bilinguals:
                Japanese university students' use of their native language as a
                learning strategy.' In Noguchi and Fotos, Studies in Japanese
                Bilingualism. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.

                Gumperz, J.J. 1982. Discourse strategies. Cambridge: Cambridge
                University Press.

                Myers-Scotton, C. 1993. Social motivations for codeswitching:
                evidence from Africa. Oxford: Clarendon Press.