Hi!

  • sara13440
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 21, 2004
      Hi everyone. My name is Sara Dwiyanti, I'm Indonesian. I've just
      joined this mailing list, so I thought I'd introduce myself
      Currently, I'm studying Sociolinguistics in graduate school of Tokyo
      University of Foreign Studies in Tokyo, Japan.
      My research topic is about the code-switching tendency among
      polyglot people in Japan, and the connection between the code-
      switching itself with their identity. By joining this mailing list,
      I hope I can enrich my knowledge and also to keep up with the
      current progress of the researches in this particular field.

      Regards,
      Sara
    • zdendane
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2004
        Hi Sara, Hello everybody else in the CS group!
        I've also just registered in this very interesting Yahoo group hoping
        to learn more about Code-Switching. I'm an Algerian teacher of
        English at the University of Tlemcen, and I'm preparing at the same
        time my doctorate dissertation on the sociolinguistic situation in my
        home town, Tlemcen. The speech community is very complex as people
        not only switch between different dialects for different reasons of
        course, but also from Arabic to French and vice-versa, often mixing
        the two languages in single utterances. So, can we consider switches
        from a kind of rural Arabic to Tlemcen Arabic as code-switching? Or
        do the two varieties involved have to be genetically different
        languages such as French and Arabic?
        Well, I hope I'll learn more about this and other very exciting
        things in the 'games' of language.
        Zoubir.
      • Rima Hanna
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 19, 2004
          Hello Zoubir,

          I found your email very interesting, especially since our cultures seem to share similar linguistic repertoires. In Lebanon, not only do we mix between the standard and colloquial Arabic, but we also switch between Arabic, English, and French, mostly.

          To determine whether switching between varieties of the same language is really codeswitching, I think you have to look at Hoffman's definition of codeswitching, which states that codeswitching involves switching between languages or varieties of a language, which seems to be the case in your community. The languages involved in CS do not have to be genetically unrelated. I think that CS between rural and Tlemcen Arabic is a special type of CS, known as diglossia. You will find a lot of sources on Arabic and diglossia because Arabic has a high and a low variety.

          Best of luck on your dissertation.

          Rima

          zdendane <zdendane@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Image by FlamingText.com

        • Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22, 2004
            At 12:24 19-08-2004 -0700, Rima wrote:

            >I think that CS between rural and Tlemcen Arabic is a special type of CS,
            >known as diglossia. You will find a lot of sources on Arabic and
            >diglossia because Arabic has a high and a low variety.

            Not really. The classical definition of diglossia is a "relatively stable"
            (Ferguson) sociolinguistic situation of language or variety contact
            characterized by a number of features. The also classical definition of
            "code-switching" refers to specific practices. There's nothing in any
            theorization of diglossia that indicates that languages or varieties in
            contact must or should be switched or are indeed switched. True, in a
            diglossic community there may be alternation between varieties. But there
            may not be any. Each notion ("diglossia" and "code-switching") has a
            different scope and focus.

            -celso
          • honorzmom
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2011
              Greetings!
              I am a newcomer to the list.
              I am currently in Grad school and doing my thesis on code-switching within the black community and its relationship to identity.
              Are there any files or previous message boards I can look at or can we start a new conversation about it?
              Also, is anyone familiar with a bibliography list on this subject?

              Many Thanks!
              -A
            • mostari hind
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2011
                Hi , The best and basic work to start your readings should be William  Labov and his famous work on the Black English Vernacular (1966) & (1971).
                Good luck Dr Mostari