Re: New poll for code-switching

  • Marian Sloboda
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2004
      Dear list members,

      many of you do not have the Yahoo profile and ID. If you do not want
      to register to Yahoo only because of the poll, you can send your
      votes to my address maslo@... (or to code-switching-
      owner@yahoogroups.com).

      Thank you,
      best,
      Marian Sloboda

      --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, code-switching@yahoogroups.com
      wrote:

      > code-switching group:
      >
      > It has been suggested that a website
      > devoted to code-switching should be
      > created. You are:
      >
      > o for
      > o against
      > o not sure if it is worth doing that
      > o of another opinion not listed above (please, post it to the
      Forum)

    • ashleymw@umich.edu
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2004
        Marian,

        I'd like to vote FOR a code-switching website.

        Thanks for doing this,
        Ashley Williams

        Quoting Marian Sloboda <maslo@...>:

        > Dear list members,
        >
        > many of you do not have the Yahoo profile and ID. If you do not want
        > to register to Yahoo only because of the poll, you can send your
        > votes to my address maslo@... (or to code-switching-
        > owner@yahoogroups.com).
        >
        > Thank you,
        > best,
        > Marian Sloboda
        >

        > --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, code-switching@yahoogroups.com
        > wrote:

        > > code-switching group:
        > >
        > > It has been suggested that a website
        > > devoted to code-switching should be
        > > created. You are:
        > >
        > > o for
        > > o against
        > > o not sure if it is worth doing that
        > > o of another opinion not listed above (please, post it to the
        > Forum)

        > > not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the Yahoo! Groups
        > > web site listed above.
        > >
        > > Thanks!

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • luciaq
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2004
          I'd like to vote FOR a code-switching website.
          Lucia Quental
          luciaq@...

          Thanks
          L.

          ---
        • sam soliman
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2004
            Hi, Marian

            I'd like to vote FOR a web site to CS.

            Best regards,

            Andrea Valente

            --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "Marian Sloboda" <maslo@z...>
            wrote:
            > Dear list members,
            >
            > many of you do not have the Yahoo profile and ID. If you do not
            want
            > to register to Yahoo only because of the poll, you can send your
            > votes to my address maslo@z... (or to code-switching-
            > owner@yahoogroups.com).
            >
            > Thank you,
            > best,
            > Marian Sloboda
            >

            > --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, code-
            switching@yahoogroups.com
            > wrote:

            > > code-switching group:
            > >
            > > It has been suggested that a website
            > > devoted to code-switching should be
            > > created. You are:
            > >
            > > o for
            > > o against
            > > o not sure if it is worth doing that
            > > o of another opinion not listed above (please, post it to the
            > Forum)

            > > not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the Yahoo!
            Groups
            > > web site listed above.
            > >
            > > Thanks!
          • P. Kerim Friedman
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 5, 2004
              Marian specifically asked people to send e-mail to her private e-mail
              address or to:

              <code-switching-owner@yahoogroups.com>

              NOT to the list. If you are writing simply to vote please don't post to
              the list as a whole.

              Personally, I'm not sure I understand the point of the vote. It seems
              to intuitively obvious me that a central repository of information on
              code-switching would be useful to everyone. I'm not sure we need a vote
              to tell us that. How useful it will be depends on the quality of the
              site itself and how well it is maintained. In other words, the question
              isn't whether we need such a site but what such a site should look like
              and who will be responsible for maintaining it. Personally I believe
              that we should install what is called a "wiki" as such software is
              geared towards collaborative maintenance. It is fairly trivial to
              install such software, assuming that we had access to a server with PHP
              and MySQL support. I would recommend the software that drives the
              fabulous wikipedia:

              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>

              The software is free and open source, and can be found here:

              <http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/>

              More information on Wiki software and how it works can be found here:

              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Overview_FAQ>

              I unfortunately don't have the time to help out. Even though Wiki's are
              "collaborative" it still requires some dedicated people to work as
              editors and moderators. Also, even though installing the software is
              fairly straight forward, it will take some work to modify the default
              installation to suit our needs. Not a lot of work, but more than what I
              can spare right now. However, I'm sure that if someone on the list is
              at a university with a helpful computer center, someone there could
              help install the software for us and then some volunteers from the list
              could start putting up content fairly quickly.

              Cheers,

              kerim

              > --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "Marian Sloboda" <maslo@z...>
              > wrote:
              >> Dear list members,
              >>
              >> many of you do not have the Yahoo profile and ID. If you do not
              > want
              >> to register to Yahoo only because of the poll, you can send your
              >> votes to my address maslo@z... (or to code-switching-
              >> owner@yahoogroups.com).
              >>
              >> Thank you,
              >> best,
              >> Marian Sloboda
            • Marian Sloboda
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 5, 2004
                Kerim,
                thanks very much. I absolutely agree with you. I'll close the poll and hope
                someone among us will have the time to spend on wiki, which seems more viable
                than a regular webpage, doesn't it?

                Concerning the poll, there are 20 (on www) + 7 (mailed to me) votes 'pro'
                (interestingly 4 'not worth doing'). Although there are 461 list members, if we
                take into account there might be CS list members who were for but didn't want to
                vote + some university students and people unaware of the CS Forum but welcoming
                CS info, 27 in a few days is a fine number I think.

                [Kerim, it has surprised me that there was such positive reaction - I thought
                there would be nearly zero interest: the CS Forum hasn't been much lively for
                last year or two (has it?); messages with the CS content may be going by private
                mail; long-time CS experts have done without a webpage... If there hadn't been
                interest in the webpage, the effort invested to it might have been wasted. Now I
                think it wouldn't. I was maybe too pesimistic.]

                Please, those who can, try asking at their institutions as regards wiki or
                webpage (I'll do). Hope it will work. Thank you for voting.

                Best,
                Marian