CODESWITCJING IN RELIGIOUS DISCOURSE

  • tasmeno
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30 5:10 PM
      Hi CS researchers,
      I am conducting a Ph. D. research on codeswitching in religious
      discourse in Egypt (from Classical Arabic to Egyptian Arabic). I
      appreaciate your suggestions and recommendation.
      Abdul
    • Michael Krobath
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
        Hi Abdul,

        concerning your Ph.D. to "CS in religious discourse"
        I would like to tell you my personal experiences in Nicaragua,
        Centralamerica, at the atlantic coast, where two peoples meet: the
        spanish(speaking) nicaraguans and the caribbean "black" nicaraguans
        (kreol-english speaking):

        When I recorded some ceremonies in one of the local churches I thought that
        the preast was code-switching without any regular patterns. Though, when I
        finally analyzed my material, I realized that he had a very clear way of
        mixing the local spanish with the kreol-english:

        + he was basically preaching in spanish;
        + but all the examples, new information, other on-the-side-comments, ...
        were in english;
        + sometimes he just switched without any of the above mentioned reasons, but
        in that case he clearly marked it with discours markers, or he repeated the
        question / the last sentence...

        And when I asked him if he was aware of his way of mixing the languages,
        he answered that he just talked and it happened automatically -
        well, that comment shows "he wasn't aware" of it himself!

        Finally I have to make clear that this is not a valid theory which works
        everywhere.
        It was investigated in only one church on one preast!

        Have fun, good luck with your Ph.D,
        Keep on switchin'
        Michael

        >Hi CS researchers,
        >I am conducting a Ph. D. research on codeswitching in religious
        >discourse in Egypt (from Classical Arabic to Egyptian Arabic). I
        >appreaciate your suggestions and recommendation.
        >Abdul

      • Abdul soliman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
          Hi Michael,
          Thank you for sharing your experience. I am analyzing the CS in the speech of an Egyptian scholar called Amr Khaled, focussing on the phonological, syntactical, and morphological features of both Classical and Egyptian Arabic. I can see a regular pattern in Khaled's speech. I'll tell you more soon.
          Have a nice and productive summer.
          Abdul

          Michael Krobath <mikrotote@...> wrote:
          Hi Abdul,

          concerning your Ph.D. to "CS in religious discourse"
          I would like to tell you my personal experiences in Nicaragua,
          Centralamerica, at the atlantic coast, where two peoples meet: the
          spanish(speaking) nicaraguans and the caribbean "black" nicaraguans
          (kreol-english speaking):

          When I recorded some ceremonies in one of the local churches I thought that
          the preast was code-switching without any regular patterns. Though, when I
          finally analyzed my material, I realized that he had a very clear way of
          mixing the local spanish with the kreol-english:

          + he was basically preaching in spanish;
          + but all the examples, new information, other on-the-side-comments, ...
          were in english;
          + sometimes he just switched without any of the above mentioned reasons, but
          in that case he clearly marked it with discours markers, or he repeated the
          question / the last sentence...

          And when I asked him if he was aware of his way of mixing the languages,
          he answered that he just talked and it happened automatically -
          well, that comment shows "he wasn't aware" of it himself!

          Finally I have to make clear that this is not a valid theory which works
          everywhere.
          It was investigated in only one church on one preast!

          Have fun, good luck with your Ph.D,
          Keep on switchin'
          Michael

          >Hi CS researchers,
          >I am conducting a Ph. D. research on codeswitching in religious
          >discourse in Egypt (from Classical Arabic to Egyptian Arabic). I
          >appreaciate your suggestions and recommendation.
          >Abdul

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Jim Wilce
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2004
            Dear Abdul,

            Niloofar Haeri (Johns Hopkins) has done some work in this area. You
            might look for her publications.

            Jim

            On Sunday, May 30, 2004, at 05:10 PM, tasmeno wrote:

            > Hi CS researchers,
            > I am conducting a Ph. D. research on codeswitching in religious
            > discourse in Egypt (from Classical Arabic to Egyptian Arabic). I
            > appreaciate your suggestions and recommendation.
            > Abdul

            Jim Wilce, Professor of Anthropology
            Northern Arizona University
            PO Box 15200
            Flagstaff AZ 86011-5200
            Office phone: 928-523-2729
            email: jim.wilce@...
            Home page: http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22

            For information on Jim's edited volume, Social and Cultural Lives of
            Immune Systems, click on
            http://www.routledge-ny.com/books.cfm?isbn=0415310040.

            Eloquence in Trouble (Oxford University Press, New York) is now
            available in paperback (ISBN is 0-19-510688-1) at
             http://oup-usa.org/isbn/0195106881.html .

          • Abdul soliman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 8, 2004
              Hi Jim,
              Thank you for your help. I'm familiar with Haeri's
              "Sacred Language, Ordinary People: Dilemmas of Culture and Politics in Egypt" and "The Sociolinguistic Market of Cairo:Gender, Class, and Education".

              I'll be grateful if you know any other relevant studies.
              Thank you.
              Abdul

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
                Haeri has also written a great essay in Current Anthropology:

                Haeri, Niloofar
                1997 The Reproduction of Symbolic Capitali: Language, State and Class
                in Egypt. Current Anthropology 38(5):795-816.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
                  Thank you, Jim for your help.
                  Abdul