Re: [code-switching] Help me ervin-tripp

  • lidaa aka
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
      hi all,
      this is in response to Ervin-Tripp's reference to
      Gumperz's definition which she has quoted as "..
      involving the switching of relatively long segments
      larger than an NP, when both speaker and hearer are
      competent bilinguals."
      my point here is if only the NP of one language is
      used in the sentence of another language wont it be
      called code switching???
      let us first try to think of simple NP comprising of
      only a Noun (the data is in mixed Kashmiri-english)
      Kashmiri: John-an banov akh HOUSE
      john-ERG made a house
      'John constructed a house'.

      tim chi CRAZY BOYS
      they are crazy boys
      'They are crazy boys'

      mye vuch THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS FATHER
      i saw the man who killed his father
      'i saw the man who killed his father'

      in these three examples we have mixing of english NPs
      comprising of only a Noun, an adjective+Noun and in
      the final sentence a Complex NP comprising of an NP +
      an S. i would like to ask Myers-Scotton about these
      sentences. are they examples of code-switching or not?
      and are there any demarcations where in we can say
      that at a certain syntactic level it can be called
      code switching and at another not???/ and is the
      defiition given by Gumperz still held valid (it must
      be so as it has been quoted here?
      Furthermore, another question which comes to mind is
      that if a single word of one language is used in the a
      sentence in which all the other elements are of
      another language, and that word has an alternative in
      that langauge, is it an instance of CS or borrowing?
      waiting for a reply

      --- Susan Ervin-Tripp <ervintr1@...>

      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      > Susan M. Ervin-Tripp tel (510)
      > 642-5292* (msgs)
      > Professor Emeritus FAX (510)
      > 642-5293
      > Psychology Department
      > ervintrp@...
      > University of California
      > http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~ervintrp/
      > Berkeley CA 94720

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • Susan Ervin-Tripp
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
        Let me make clear, that was my paraphrase since any of
        you can read Gumperz' writings on the subject, and must. This is not
        his wording at all.

        I put it that way in order to differentiate long switches from short
        ones which some people call insertional, which we and others
        have found can involve some different on-the-spot mechanisms.
        The short switches or insertions occur much earlier in
        learning, before speakers are fully competent bilinguals, able
        to handle more complex syntax.
        And in anybody, they can occur as a reaction to momentary
        processing effects, differences in lexical access which brings
        a word to mind in one language when it isn't at the moment
        accessible in the other. When our addressee is monolingual,
        we would normally not produce that word, but between bilinguals
        the constraints are weaker, so the normal oscillations in lexical
        access can show up as short switches or insertions. And of course
        there are all the other motivations for what is called also
        "nonce borrowing."

        susan ervin-tripp
      • Maria Eugenia Trillo
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 6, 2004
          Yes, yes, that's good, Lucia! Sometimes I feel we
          discuss "form" when, in fact, it is "function" that we
          need to be addressing. The use of two linguistic
          codes to perform a discourse function...:) Some of my
          subjects use a variety of codes in their speech:
          monolingual discourse; streams of monolingual speech
          with phrasal or clausal insertions of the other
          language; metaphorical insertions; only nouns or just
          verbal phrases--all in the attempt to render
          authenticity to a quote, or express group identity,
          gain or relinquish the floor, or any number of other
          discourse functions.

          Thank you for your contribution.

          m.e.trillo

        • neeraja raghupathi
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 6, 2004
            Hello all,

            I jst went through the interesting discussion that happened among the various linguists. I am presently doing my dissertation on CS behavior in stutterers in the Indian context. The same has been studied in aphasic individuals. I have come across two different opnions w.r.t CS in aphasia. One view says that Code swithcing and code mixing are entirely different. code switching when becomes pathological (one you can see in aphasics) is called code mixing. And the other opinion is that (which is the recent one) code switching and code mixing can be used interchageably. they mean the same.

            I will get the exact references in anyone needs it.

            I am interested in knowing what the SLPs and Linguists have to say abt this...

            with best wishes,

            neeraja.

            Yahoo! India Education Special: Study in the UK now.

          • muslimov mehmet zaqir oglu
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2004
              >let us first try to think of simple NP comprising of
              >only a Noun (the data is in mixed Kashmiri-english)
              >Kashmiri: John-an banov akh HOUSE
              > john-ERG made a house
              > 'John constructed a house'.
              >

              > tim chi CRAZY BOYS
              > they are crazy boys
              > 'They are crazy boys'
              >

              > mye vuch THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS FATHER
              > i saw the man who killed his father
              > 'i saw the man who killed his father'

              And what do you think about the following example:

              Siz vEtE-ttii mine-kaa-nibud' ostr-ym puteli-st pois then take-IMPF-PASS what-COM-INDF sharp-INSTR bottle-ELAT away

              'Then it was pulled by something sharp out of the bottle'
              ostr-ym is Russian,
              -nibud' is Votian and Russian,
              st 'Elative' is Izhorian,
              puteli, siz, -ttii, mine-, pois are Izhorian and Votian,
              vEtE, kaa are Votian
              Three languages are mixed in this sentence.
            • Chkoni Chkonishi
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 14, 2004
                Mehmet
                Where do you live? These languages, I mean Izhorian and Votian seem to be of Turcic group. can you tell me the name in Russian and the location of them. Nibud is obviously a codeswitched item from Russian, but maybe almost aclimatized.
                Respects
                Chkoni

                muslimov mehmet zaqir oglu <mehmet@...> wrote:
                >let us first try to think of simple NP comprising of
                >only a Noun (the data is in mixed Kashmiri-english)
                >Kashmiri: John-an banov akh HOUSE
                > john-ERG made a house
                > 'John constructed a house'.
                >

                > tim chi CRAZY BOYS
                > they are crazy boys
                > 'They are crazy boys'
                >

                > mye vuch THE MAN WHO KILLED HIS FATHER
                > i saw the man who killed his father
                > 'i saw the man who killed his father'

                And what do you think about the following example:

                Siz vEtE-ttii mine-kaa-nibud' ostr-ym puteli-st pois then take-IMPF-PASS what-COM-INDF sharp-INSTR bottle-ELAT away

                'Then it was pulled by something sharp out of the bottle'
                ostr-ym is Russian,
                -nibud' is Votian and Russian,
                st 'Elative' is Izhorian,
                puteli, siz, -ttii, mine-, pois are Izhorian and Votian,
                vEtE, kaa are Votian
                Three languages are mixed in this sentence.

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • muslimov mehmet zaqir oglu
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 21, 2004
                  >Mehmet
                  >Where do you live?
                  I live in Saint-Petersburg, Russia.

                  >These languages, I mean Izhorian and Votian seem to be of >Turcic group. can you tell me the name in Russian and the >location of them.

                  Izhorian (Russian Izhorskij jazyk, Ижорский язык) is closely related to Finnish and Karelian, Votian (Russian Vodskij jazyk, Водский язык) is closely related to Estonian. They are spoken in the western part of Leningrad region, near the border between Estonia and Russia.

                  >Nibud is obviously a codeswitched item from Russian, but >maybe almost aclimatized.

                  Usually -lee is used; c^en-lee 'somebody'. But in purely Votian context -nibud is also used, c^en-nibud 'somebody'.
                  Respects
                  Mehmet