tamil/english- help needed

  • Mahesh
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30 5:03 PM
      Dear folks,

      I am a linguistics student at Macquarie University, Sydney, writing an essay on Tamil/English codeswitching at the moment taking data from conversations in my own household.

      I found your forum when I did a google search. I would appreciate any links to academic research on codeswitching (so far I have managed to get Sankoff, Poplack and Vanniarajan's article from 'Language, Variation and Change'). The other one I am looking for is by one E. Annamalai written in 1978.

      Also, if you could provide me with Hal Schiffmans' contact details, naan romba santhoshamma iruppen.

      I personally think one of the amazing things now is that with the spread of the Tamil diaspora, the different dialects of Tamil are coming into contact in English (or other colonial language) speaking domains. I'm not an expert on the different Tamil dialects (having only started learning Tamil after coming to Australia at the age of five) but because of my family's past, having lived in different parts of India and in different parts of Sri Lanka, my Tamil is inevitably a mix of Sri Lankan and Indian Tamil, probably with a touch of Singapore because of the textbooks we used to learn Tamil.

      The amusing thing is that quite a few Indians regard Sri Lankan Tamil highly and Sri Lankan regard Indian Tamil highly, so I often got praised for my Tamil, which is really an avvial of different dialects and halfway between written and spoken. In addition, my grammar is hardly perfect, so I would only call myself semi-bilingual, though the definition of a bilingual is itself a huge argument.

      love love love
      Mahesh.

    • neerajaslp
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2003
        Hello mahesh,
        U r doing a good work... I am a post graduate stduent
        in speech language pathology in India. I am right now involved in a
        research work on code-switching behavior in persons with stuttering
        and normal fluency. My subjects will be bilingual speakers with any
        south Indian language as L1 and English as L2.

        I had gone to the central Instt of Indian Languages (Mysore) for my
        work.. I met many eminent linguists who had done work on CSW. I will
        forward their email ids to you. You can contact them. They will be
        helpful. Also, if you have collected any lit in ur area which you
        thin will be useful to me, could u please forward them to me?.

        In my Uni, there are many malaysian and Srilankan tamil speakers...
        When I converse with them, I find their lang more superior to mine
        (inspite of the fact that i come from THANJAVUR) because it matches
        more exactly with the grammar that I had learnt during my school
        days. I am gald that ur investigation is focussing on thsi aspect.

        keep in touch,

        Let me know about yor work,

        Thank you,

        Neeraja.

        Note:

        Email ids og Dr Subbu Krishna and Dr Devaki of Central instt of
        Indian lang.
        vsubbakrishna@...
        drdevaki@...