Re: [code-switching] Code switching and social representation

  • alina karipidou
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
      Dear Karina,

      as I reside in Greece I am not familiar with journals int he States related to your topic. I will most probably move ot London for my PhD therefore will keep an eye and let you know.

      I am researching code switching in Internet language for non-latin languages like Greek and the changes it undergoes.

      Best of luck with your PhD!

      Alina

    • karina atencio
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
        Thanks

        Karina

        alina karipidou <alinakaripidou@...> wrote:
        Dear Karina,

        as I reside in Greece I am not familiar with journals int he States related to your topic. I will most probably move ot London for my PhD therefore will keep an eye and let you know.

        I am researching code switching in Internet language for non-latin languages like Greek and the changes it undergoes.

        Best of luck with your PhD!

        Alina

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • cuneo9999
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 7, 2003
          Karina,
          There is some codeswitching in Latina Magazine, a national publication
          in the US, and El Andar, which is or used to be published out of Santa
          Cruz, California.
          Laura Callahan

          --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "AtencioK" <atenciok@y...>
          wrote:
          > I am a future PhD student living in Strasbourg France.
          >
          > This is a briefly description of my research project. I am analysing
          > the code switching used on bilingual journals and magazines
          addressed
          > to Latinos. I mainly want to study the social representations
          encoded
          > behind the utterances on codes witching. If you know any reference
          of
          > magazines and journals, published in USA, that uses code switching
          > between English and Spanish . I would appreciate your help.
          >
          > Karina A
        • neeraja raghupathi
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 7, 2003
            Dear members,

            I am a post graduate student in Speech langauge pathology and Audiology. I would be extremely happy and grateful if anyone could answer the following questions and provide with their suggestions.

            Is code-switching related to language proficiency of an individual ?.

            Are there any scales of measurement of language proficiency?.

            Thankyou,

            Neeeraja.

            SMS using the Yahoo! Messenger;Download latest version.

          • karina atencio
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 7, 2003
              Thank you for the information. I didn�t know magazine.

              I read one of your articles �The matrix Language frame model and Spanish/ English codeswitching in fiction� This was the first article I read dealing, in some way, with my research subject. Have you written other article dealing with the written CS of Chicano literature? Do you know any other researcher studying written CS?

              Thanks again

              Karina Atencio

              cuneo9999 <lcallahan68@...> wrote:Karina,

              wrote:
              > I am a future PhD student living in Strasbourg France.
              >
              > This is a briefly description of my research project. I am analysing
              > the code switching used on bilingual journals and magazines
              addressed
              > to Latinos. I mainly want to study the social representations
              encoded
              > behind the utterances on codes witching. If you know any reference
              of
              > magazines and journals, published in USA, that uses code switching
              > between English and Spanish . I would appreciate your help.
              >
              > Karina A

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • sapna bhat
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8, 2003
                Hello Neeraja,
                I know about a scale of language profeciency by Ingram called as Australian second language proficiency rating scale (ASLPR) which is quite easy to administer and assesses proficiency in all the 4 language skills.
                It has been published in 1981 issue of Indian Journal of applied linguistics which is available here in AIISH.
                Best of luck for your work,
                Sapna

                neeraja raghupathi <NEERAJARAGHUPATHI@...> wrote:

                Dear members,

                I am a post graduate student in Speech langauge pathology and Audiology. I would be extremely happy and grateful if anyone could answer the following questions and provide with their suggestions.

                Is code-switching related to language proficiency of an individual ?.

                Are there any scales of measurement of language proficiency?.

                Thankyou,

                Neeeraja.

                SMS using the Yahoo! Messenger;Download latest version.

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Sue Stanyer
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 9, 2003
                  Is code-switching related to language proficiency of an individual ?.

                  There is something on that in Poplack's article in "the bilingual reader"- look for

                • Sue Stanyer
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 9, 2003
                    Neeeraja,

                    There is something on bilingual proficiency in Poplack's chapter in "The Bilingualism Reader". (Sometimes I'll start a sentence in Spanish y termino en espanol....)..she argues switching is an indicator of bilingual competence & goes into it there.

                    Thanks,
                    Sue

                    ps Hi everyone..first post here. I'm in Australia and am writing my thesis on code switching online..a case study of (French-English) switching across msn, email and voice programs. So nice to meet you all!

                  • may olasiman

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 12, 2003
                        Hello Sue,
                        Thanks for your e mail. I do not know
                        whether this book will be available in my country.
                        However, I will check it out about that.

                        thanks once again,

                        Neeraja.

                        Yahoo! India Promos: Win TVs, Bikes, DVD players & more!
                        Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com
                      • Paula
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 30, 2003
                          Greetings, all,
                          I joined this group this evening after a heated discussion on a site
                          for translators of Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian (of which I am one,
                          translating into English) about posting messages in different
                          (non-native) languages. It prompted me to introduce code-switching
                          into the conversation and remind my fellow translators that we do it
                          all the time (even the person most opposed to bilingual postings!).
                          Anyway, I was searching for a good definition and Google returned this
                          site first on the list.

                          Proficiency Interview, which rates speaking proficiency. This is the
                          American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. Their site is
                          http://www.actfl.org/.
                          They rate proficiency on 10 levels, which have been defined very
                          precisely and in an interesting way -- not only is it about the
                          speaker's ability to speak and convey concepts, but the grade also
                          takes into consideration the listener's ability to understand. For
                          instance:
                          "Novice-Mid speakers may be understood with great difficulty
                          even by sympathetic interlocutors accustomed to dealing with
                          non-natives."
                          The guidelines are available on the site mentioned above, follow link
                          at top to "Proficiency Testing," then "Testing for Proficiency," then
                          from that page you have a link to the "ACTFL Proficiency
                          Guidelines-Speaking (Revised 1999)."

                          Also wanted to mention the International Journal of the Sociology of
                          Language (and apologies if that's already come up in discussions).
                          There are often articles dealing with code-switching, language shift,
                          language policy, and in many different languages and countries. The
                          site is http://www.degruyter.de/rs/384_403_DEU_h.htm, and on the
                          right-hand side there's a link to the Inhaltsverzeichnisee, that is,
                          you can browse the tables of contents. Content is not available
                          online, though, you have to subscribe.

                          I know very little about the phenomenon of code-switching, except that
                          I do it all the time and it's fascinating to observe what prompts it
                          (if I even notice...).

                          Many regards,
                          Paula
                          Wilmington, Delaware, USA

                          -- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, neeraja raghupathi
                          <NEERAJARAGHUPATHI@Y...> wrote:

                          > Dear members,
                          >
                          > I am a post graduate student in Speech
                          langauge pathology and Audiology. I would be extremely happy and
                          grateful if anyone could answer the following questions and provide
                          with their suggestions.

                          > Is code-switching related to language proficiency of an individual ?.
                          >
                          > Are there any scales of measurement of language proficiency?.
                          >
                          > Thankyou,
                          >
                          > Neeeraja.
                          >
                          > SMS using the Yahoo! Messenger;Download latest version.

                        • Monica Heller
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
                            De retour le 8 sept/back Sept 8. Si/if urgent, contact/er :
                            rroy@... ou/or ngroten@...
                          • m.lahlou@alakhawayn.ma
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
                              In my own work on code switching between Moroccan Arabic and French, I
                              looked at the phenomenon of CS and language proficiency.
                              I discovered that CS as practiced by educated Moroccans, with good
                              proficiency in the two languages, is very different from that of Moroccan
                              workers, especially 1st generation, who live in France, and whose level of
                              education, and proficiency in the languages, is limited.
                              In the first case, the outcome is a disctinct code, on its own, one that's
                              'in addition' to the two languages in question. And the code switchers
                              'can' stick to only one language if they choose to. The function of CS
                              here is more one of 'sending a message' or even 'playing with language'
                              than one of communication.
                              In the second case the outcome, which resembles borrowing to some extent,
                              fulfills the basic function of communication, no more; it displays limited
                              mastery of the two languages. And the code switchers 'can not' function in
                              only one of the two languages with any degree of ease.
                              Regards to all.

                              Prof. Moncef Lahlou
                              Language Center Director
                              Al Akhawayn University
                              Ifrane, Morocco.

                              Tel. (212) 55.86.24.20/1
                              Fax. (212) 55.86.24.40

                              http://www.alakhawayn.ma

                              "Paula"
                              <dbaplanb@... To: code-switching@yahoogroups.com
                              > cc:
                              Subject: [code-switching] Re: Code switching and
                              31-08-03 03:28 language proficiency
                              Please respond to
                              code-switching

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
                                De retour le 8 sept/back Sept 8. Si/if urgent, contact/er :
                                rroy@... ou/or ngroten@...
                              • Maria Eugenia Trillo
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 2, 2003
                                  Yes, my data corroborates yours. All subjects in my
                                  community code-switch, regardless of other variables
                                  such as age, place of birth or educational level. All
                                  subjects use both Spanish and English in their
                                  discourse, but those with less proficiency in the
                                  language will tend to do more lexical code-switching.
                                  Those who are educated and proficient with both
                                  languages will change codes depending on the topic,
                                  the listener, the intent of their words or phrases or
                                  even pronunciation of a word. There is also a group
                                  who code switch and code-mix, depending on the
                                  discourse function of the switch itself.

                                  Yours truly,

                                  Maria Eugenia Trillo, Ph.D.
                                  Assistant Professor
                                  Department of English, Speech and Foreign Languages
                                  P.O. Box 425829
                                  Denton, TX
                                  USA 76204-5829
                                  (940) 898-2159