Code switching and social representation

  • AtencioK
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 5, 2003
      I am a future PhD student living in Strasbourg France.

      This is a briefly description of my research project. I am analysing
      the code switching used on bilingual journals and magazines addressed
      to Latinos. I mainly want to study the social representations encoded
      behind the utterances on codes witching. If you know any reference of
      magazines and journals, published in USA, that uses code switching
      between English and Spanish . I would appreciate your help.

      Karina Atencio
    • alina karipidou
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
        Dear Karina,

        as I reside in Greece I am not familiar with journals int he States related to your topic. I will most probably move ot London for my PhD therefore will keep an eye and let you know.

        I am researching code switching in Internet language for non-latin languages like Greek and the changes it undergoes.

        Best of luck with your PhD!

        Alina

      • karina atencio
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
          Thanks

          Karina

          alina karipidou <alinakaripidou@...> wrote:
          Dear Karina,

          as I reside in Greece I am not familiar with journals int he States related to your topic. I will most probably move ot London for my PhD therefore will keep an eye and let you know.

          I am researching code switching in Internet language for non-latin languages like Greek and the changes it undergoes.

          Best of luck with your PhD!

          Alina

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • cuneo9999
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 7, 2003
            Karina,
            There is some codeswitching in Latina Magazine, a national publication
            in the US, and El Andar, which is or used to be published out of Santa
            Cruz, California.
            Laura Callahan

            --- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, "AtencioK" <atenciok@y...>
            wrote:
            > I am a future PhD student living in Strasbourg France.
            >
            > This is a briefly description of my research project. I am analysing
            > the code switching used on bilingual journals and magazines
            addressed
            > to Latinos. I mainly want to study the social representations
            encoded
            > behind the utterances on codes witching. If you know any reference
            of
            > magazines and journals, published in USA, that uses code switching
            > between English and Spanish . I would appreciate your help.
            >
            > Karina A
          • neeraja raghupathi
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 7, 2003
              Dear members,

              I am a post graduate student in Speech langauge pathology and Audiology. I would be extremely happy and grateful if anyone could answer the following questions and provide with their suggestions.

              Is code-switching related to language proficiency of an individual ?.

              Are there any scales of measurement of language proficiency?.

              Thankyou,

              Neeeraja.

              SMS using the Yahoo! Messenger;Download latest version.

            • karina atencio
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 7, 2003
                Thank you for the information. I didn�t know magazine.

                I read one of your articles �The matrix Language frame model and Spanish/ English codeswitching in fiction� This was the first article I read dealing, in some way, with my research subject. Have you written other article dealing with the written CS of Chicano literature? Do you know any other researcher studying written CS?

                Thanks again

                Karina Atencio

                cuneo9999 <lcallahan68@...> wrote:Karina,

                wrote:
                > I am a future PhD student living in Strasbourg France.
                >
                > This is a briefly description of my research project. I am analysing
                > the code switching used on bilingual journals and magazines
                addressed
                > to Latinos. I mainly want to study the social representations
                encoded
                > behind the utterances on codes witching. If you know any reference
                of
                > magazines and journals, published in USA, that uses code switching
                > between English and Spanish . I would appreciate your help.
                >
                > Karina A

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • sapna bhat
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2003
                  Hello Neeraja,
                  I know about a scale of language profeciency by Ingram called as Australian second language proficiency rating scale (ASLPR) which is quite easy to administer and assesses proficiency in all the 4 language skills.
                  It has been published in 1981 issue of Indian Journal of applied linguistics which is available here in AIISH.
                  Best of luck for your work,
                  Sapna

                  neeraja raghupathi <NEERAJARAGHUPATHI@...> wrote:

                  Dear members,

                  I am a post graduate student in Speech langauge pathology and Audiology. I would be extremely happy and grateful if anyone could answer the following questions and provide with their suggestions.

                  Is code-switching related to language proficiency of an individual ?.

                  Are there any scales of measurement of language proficiency?.

                  Thankyou,

                  Neeeraja.

                  SMS using the Yahoo! Messenger;Download latest version.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Sue Stanyer
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 9, 2003
                    Is code-switching related to language proficiency of an individual ?.

                    There is something on that in Poplack's article in "the bilingual reader"- look for

                  • Sue Stanyer
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 9, 2003
                      Neeeraja,

                      There is something on bilingual proficiency in Poplack's chapter in "The Bilingualism Reader". (Sometimes I'll start a sentence in Spanish y termino en espanol....)..she argues switching is an indicator of bilingual competence & goes into it there.

                      Thanks,
                      Sue

                      ps Hi everyone..first post here. I'm in Australia and am writing my thesis on code switching online..a case study of (French-English) switching across msn, email and voice programs. So nice to meet you all!

                    • may olasiman

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 12, 2003
                          Hello Sue,
                          Thanks for your e mail. I do not know
                          whether this book will be available in my country.
                          However, I will check it out about that.

                          thanks once again,

                          Neeraja.

                          Yahoo! India Promos: Win TVs, Bikes, DVD players & more!
                          Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com
                        • Paula
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 30, 2003
                            Greetings, all,
                            I joined this group this evening after a heated discussion on a site
                            for translators of Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian (of which I am one,
                            translating into English) about posting messages in different
                            (non-native) languages. It prompted me to introduce code-switching
                            into the conversation and remind my fellow translators that we do it
                            all the time (even the person most opposed to bilingual postings!).
                            Anyway, I was searching for a good definition and Google returned this
                            site first on the list.

                            Proficiency Interview, which rates speaking proficiency. This is the
                            American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. Their site is
                            http://www.actfl.org/.
                            They rate proficiency on 10 levels, which have been defined very
                            precisely and in an interesting way -- not only is it about the
                            speaker's ability to speak and convey concepts, but the grade also
                            takes into consideration the listener's ability to understand. For
                            instance:
                            "Novice-Mid speakers may be understood with great difficulty
                            even by sympathetic interlocutors accustomed to dealing with
                            non-natives."
                            The guidelines are available on the site mentioned above, follow link
                            at top to "Proficiency Testing," then "Testing for Proficiency," then
                            from that page you have a link to the "ACTFL Proficiency
                            Guidelines-Speaking (Revised 1999)."

                            Also wanted to mention the International Journal of the Sociology of
                            Language (and apologies if that's already come up in discussions).
                            There are often articles dealing with code-switching, language shift,
                            language policy, and in many different languages and countries. The
                            site is http://www.degruyter.de/rs/384_403_DEU_h.htm, and on the
                            right-hand side there's a link to the Inhaltsverzeichnisee, that is,
                            you can browse the tables of contents. Content is not available
                            online, though, you have to subscribe.

                            I know very little about the phenomenon of code-switching, except that
                            I do it all the time and it's fascinating to observe what prompts it
                            (if I even notice...).

                            Many regards,
                            Paula
                            Wilmington, Delaware, USA

                            -- In code-switching@yahoogroups.com, neeraja raghupathi
                            <NEERAJARAGHUPATHI@Y...> wrote:

                            > Dear members,
                            >
                            > I am a post graduate student in Speech
                            langauge pathology and Audiology. I would be extremely happy and
                            grateful if anyone could answer the following questions and provide
                            with their suggestions.

                            > Is code-switching related to language proficiency of an individual ?.
                            >
                            > Are there any scales of measurement of language proficiency?.
                            >
                            > Thankyou,
                            >
                            > Neeeraja.
                            >
                            > SMS using the Yahoo! Messenger;Download latest version.

                          • Monica Heller
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
                              De retour le 8 sept/back Sept 8. Si/if urgent, contact/er :
                              rroy@... ou/or ngroten@...
                            • m.lahlou@alakhawayn.ma
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
                                In my own work on code switching between Moroccan Arabic and French, I
                                looked at the phenomenon of CS and language proficiency.
                                I discovered that CS as practiced by educated Moroccans, with good
                                proficiency in the two languages, is very different from that of Moroccan
                                workers, especially 1st generation, who live in France, and whose level of
                                education, and proficiency in the languages, is limited.
                                In the first case, the outcome is a disctinct code, on its own, one that's
                                'in addition' to the two languages in question. And the code switchers
                                'can' stick to only one language if they choose to. The function of CS
                                here is more one of 'sending a message' or even 'playing with language'
                                than one of communication.
                                In the second case the outcome, which resembles borrowing to some extent,
                                fulfills the basic function of communication, no more; it displays limited
                                mastery of the two languages. And the code switchers 'can not' function in
                                only one of the two languages with any degree of ease.
                                Regards to all.

                                Prof. Moncef Lahlou
                                Language Center Director
                                Al Akhawayn University
                                Ifrane, Morocco.

                                Tel. (212) 55.86.24.20/1
                                Fax. (212) 55.86.24.40

                                http://www.alakhawayn.ma

                                "Paula"
                                <dbaplanb@... To: code-switching@yahoogroups.com
                                > cc:
                                Subject: [code-switching] Re: Code switching and
                                31-08-03 03:28 language proficiency
                                Please respond to
                                code-switching

                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
                                  De retour le 8 sept/back Sept 8. Si/if urgent, contact/er :
                                  rroy@... ou/or ngroten@...
                                • Maria Eugenia Trillo
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 2, 2003
                                    Yes, my data corroborates yours. All subjects in my
                                    community code-switch, regardless of other variables
                                    such as age, place of birth or educational level. All
                                    subjects use both Spanish and English in their
                                    discourse, but those with less proficiency in the
                                    language will tend to do more lexical code-switching.
                                    Those who are educated and proficient with both
                                    languages will change codes depending on the topic,
                                    the listener, the intent of their words or phrases or
                                    even pronunciation of a word. There is also a group
                                    who code switch and code-mix, depending on the
                                    discourse function of the switch itself.

                                    Yours truly,

                                    Maria Eugenia Trillo, Ph.D.
                                    Assistant Professor
                                    Department of English, Speech and Foreign Languages
                                    P.O. Box 425829
                                    Denton, TX
                                    USA 76204-5829
                                    (940) 898-2159