RES: [code-switching] Re: FWD: Endangered Languages Documentation Programme

  • Don Osborn
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28, 2003
      Actually I think I substantially agree with the statements of both
      Lucia and Hal, while tending a bit more to the activist side. I do
      think it is appropriate for outsiders to work to expand the "field of
      options" open to speakers of whatever language, while respecting
      their prerogative. After all, other outside factors tend to
      constrict that field. And too, diverse languages are in a way also
      our common heritage. I previously replied to both Lucia and Hal in
      more detail off list and then posted those replies on a temporary
      message board,
      http://www.quicktopic.com/21/H/tVDdWCiBY7MgJ where any who are
      interested are most welcome to read them. If I get a reply from ELDP
      I'll post it there too. Thanks...

      Don Osborn
      Bisharat.net