      From: Evelyne Kisembe [SMTP:ekisembe@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 7:52 PM
      To: code-switching@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [code-switching] code switching

      Hi,
      I think that the existance of language C is right and could be
      called an
      extra language spoken by the speaker. This is so coz, following
      the MLF
      model you just mentioned, we have the dominant and the embedded
      languages
      and there are cases, where this type of mixing and switching has
      resulted
      to the emergence of another language.For exmaple, in Kenya,
      Swahili is the
      national language, English official and other indegineous
      languages. As a
      result of this, a language called Sheng has emerged and it has
      as its
      dominant structure the grammar of swahili,and emebedded words
      from English
      and other indegineous languages, and is spoken as a third
      language and
      first language to some little children now. Other cases of mixed
      languages
      would reveal a similar phenomenon. Check out references of works
      done by
      Maarten Mous, Majorie Meechan and Shana Poplack on how languages
      fit
      together in Code-mixing and switching and how it brings about
      the issue of
      the extra language. Hope i have helped.
      Lynn

      On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 stussy_tom@... wrote:

      > hello,
      > i would like to ask about the three languages, which are
      claimed to
      > be acquired by biligual speakers or i am more prefer to use
      speakers
      > of more than one language. language A, B, and C whereby C
      refers to
      > the third language exists because the speaker speaks "an extra

      > language".
      > those who have read Romaine's "Bilingualism" might have come
      across
      > the Matrix language and Embedded language frame.
      >
      > my question is, if there is at all why do language C exist? if
      we
      > follow what Romaine has said, the Matrix language applies to
      the
      > dominant language (L1) and the Embedded language will be the
      weaker
      > ones. can't we just rely on what Romaine's has said?

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic