2001Re: [code-switching] Re: Structuralist vs poststructuralists

  • Woolard, Kathryn
    Mar 27, 2012
      Let me give one very practical recommendation: for a useful review of
      (implicitly) post-structuralist approaches to social identity and the role
      of language therein (that begins with Jakobsonian structuralist visions of
      sameness/difference) see M. Bucholtz and K. Hall, "Language and
      Identity", in A. Duranti, A. 2004, A Companion to Linguistic
      Anthropology. Blackwell.

      I don't know of anything that specifically compares structuralist to
      poststructalist approaches to social identity. For that matter, I'm not
      sure what a structuralist approach to social identity is, since many
      people working on identity in the pre-post-structuralist period didn't
      conceive of themselves that way. I suppose that F. Barth's classic and
      still very instructive 1969 Introduction to Ethnic Groups and Boundaries
      might be considered structuralist in a Saussurean sense, because of its
      emphasis on boundaries and contrast, rather than internal content of
      semantic categories, although Barth worked under the label of
      transactionalism that contrasted with structural-functional analyses in
      anthropology....go figure.

      Kit Woolard