Re: Looking for Latrielle's "Dictionnaire"

  • laurel_ra
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 18 9:53 AM
      Hi Friedrich,

      In truth, I do not support sending spider eggs into regions where they
      could become an invasive species, even if it is legal. Invasive
      species are a HUGE problem here in the Pacific Northwest. Seattle,
      Washington (USA) and Vancouver, British Columbia (Canada) are the
      sources of many introductions because of all of the ocean shipping
      traffic. Perhaps Rotterdam is in a similar situation. Some European
      spiders are displacing North American ones in North American habitats.
      This is a sad loss of diversity. Three nests of Araneus diadematus
      hatched on my car this spring, and I frequently find Philodromus
      dispar in and around my house, for example.

      However, I am glad that you started a new arachnid page. Hopefully it
      will remain active and spam free for a long time!

      Thank you for writing in French. It is good practice in case I do
      manage to get a copy of Latrielle. I don't live in Canada, but very
      close to it. This means I don't speak French, but can read it with
      the help of a dictionary. :D

      Best wishes,
      Laurel

      --- In cocoonswapping@yahoogroups.com, "Friedrich" <sw.vanderwart@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Laurel,
      >
      > Yes it's legal to send eggs to Holland and to the States as well I
      have verified at our customsservices in Rotterdam (main port of
      Holland). One is not allowed to send alive animale only their eggs.

      > I wrote one sentence in french because you asked about le
      dictionnaire de Latrielle; I thought maybe you live in Canada where
      they speak english and french. By the way, in case there is anything i
      can do in return please let me know. I'm ready, willing and "able".

      > Dag,
      > Friedrich van der Wart
      > H.J. Habrakenhof 14
      > 2011 MZ Haarlem
      > The Netherlands

    • Friedrich
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 18 10:22 AM
        Dear Laurel,

        I have sent your request to Head of Entomology Drs. Jan van Tol here in Leiden. I know they have an extensive library.

        Maybe it's possible he can help you.
        Cheers,
        Friedrich
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 18 10:28 AM
          Dear Laurel,

          I fully understand. We had the same problem with the chinese wollhandcrab. In case of the spiders I keep them in escape-proof containers and I handle foreign species with extreme care, but I understand Laurel.

          wrote:

          > Dear Laurel,
          >
          > Yes it's legal to send eggs to Holland and to the States as well I
          have verified at our customsservices in Rotterdam (main port of
          Holland). One is not allowed to send alive animale only their eggs.

          > I wrote one sentence in french because you asked about le
          dictionnaire de Latrielle; I thought maybe you live in Canada where
          they speak english and french. By the way, in case there is anything i
          can do in return please let me know. I'm ready, willing and "able".

          > Dag,
          > Friedrich van der Wart
          > H.J. Habrakenhof 14
          > 2011 MZ Haarlem
          > The Netherlands

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • Friedrich
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 18 10:29 AM
            Dear Juan,

            I thank you so much! You never now; perhaps some fine day you have an idea how I can be of any help to you.

            Friedrich
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 18 10:47 AM
              Heel veel bedankt!

              wrote:

              > Dear Laurel,
              >
              > I have sent your request to Head of Entomology Drs. Jan van Tol here
              in Leiden. I know they have an extensive library.

              > Maybe it's possible he can help you.
              > Cheers,
              > Friedrich

              17-6-2007 8:23

            • Friedrich
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 18 10:52 AM
                Graag gedaan Laurel!
                Friedrich
                > I have sent your request to Head of Entomology Drs. Jan van Tol here
                in Leiden. I know they have an extensive library.

                > Maybe it's possible he can help you.
                > Cheers,
                > Friedrich

                17-6-2007 8:23

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              • laurel_ra
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 18 10:56 AM
                  Hi Friedrich,

                  I am very glad to hear that you are careful to keep your spiders in
                  escape-proof containers! Maybe you can post a picture or description
                  of what that is, so that others can do the same? I hope that everyone
                  will be as careful as you are.

                  Your comment brings me to a few other practical questions:
                  1) I am trying to think of an easy way to capture flies to feed to my
                  spiders. Right now, I have to catch them one by one. Not impossible
                  on cool mornings, but it takes time and skill... If you or anyone has
                  a suggestion on how to catch many flies all at once, I would love to
                  hear it.
                  2) I am keeping my spiders in a terrarium with a screen top.
                  Sometimes "old" flies escape when I open the top to add new ones. Has
                  anyone designed a more efficient mechanism for adding flies?

                  wrote:

                  > Dear Laurel,
                  >
                  > I fully understand. We had the same problem with the chinese
                  wollhandcrab. In case of the spiders I keep them in escape-proof
                  containers and I handle foreign species with extreme care, but I
                  understand Laurel.

                  > Cheers,
                  > Friedrich
                • Friedrich
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 18 11:07 AM
                    Dear Laurel,

                    I don't have a camera at hand but I will lent one to make a picture of my escape-proof containers.

                    Concerning capturing flies; I buy maggots at a sportfishing shop; it's easy as that; furthermore you can buy flies in petshops where also chamaeleons and lizards are sold with curly wings (especially bred for lizardkeepers); these flies can't fly but just walk around the enclosure and when they touch some silkthreads the spider emerges and craps it.

                    In certain petshops you can also buy fruitflies that can't fly.

                    I hope this is will satisfy your questions.

                    Cheers Laurel,

                    wrote:

                    > Dear Laurel,
                    >
                    > I fully understand. We had the same problem with the chinese
                    wollhandcrab. In case of the spiders I keep them in escape-proof
                    containers and I handle foreign species with extreme care, but I
                    understand Laurel.

                    > Cheers,
                    > Friedrich

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  • laurel_ra
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 18 11:49 AM
                      maggots - a great idea, thanks!

                      It might be interesting to try flightless flies with Misumena.
                      Supposedly they only react to flying insects (I've seen them ignoring
                      caterpillars which are stepping on them, for example), but the flies
                      and bees that they catch are often walking when they are captured.
                      Perhaps I will remove some wings from my wild flies and do a little
                      experiment...

                      wrote:

                      > Dear Laurel,
                      >
                      > I don't have a camera at hand but I will lent one to make a picture
                      of my escape-proof containers.

                      > Concerning capturing flies; I buy maggots at a sportfishing shop;
                      it's easy as that; furthermore you can buy flies in petshops where
                      also chamaeleons and lizards are sold with curly wings (especially
                      bred for lizardkeepers); these flies can't fly but just walk around
                      the enclosure and when they touch some silkthreads the spider emerges
                      and craps it.

                      > In certain petshops you can also buy fruitflies that can't fly.
                      >
                      > I hope this is will satisfy your questions.
                      >
                      > Cheers Laurel,
                      > Friedrich

                      17-6-2007 8:23

                    • Juan Olcese
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 18 12:00 PM
                        Hi Fellows:
                        Here in Buenos Aires,have a shop and if is possible get any type of plastic or glass containers to all purposes.Tiny,little,medium,etc.Normaly I bought it to my T's spiderlings,
                        and I will sending to Friedrich,the L.mactans cocoons.
                        Regards
                        Juan

                        wrote:

                        > Dear Laurel,
                        >
                        > I fully understand. We had the same problem with the chinese
                        wollhandcrab. In case of the spiders I keep them in escape-proof
                        containers and I handle foreign species with extreme care, but I
                        understand Laurel.

                        > Cheers,
                        > Friedrich

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                        Juan Olcese

                      • Juan Olcese
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 18 12:13 PM
                          Friedrich:
                          For me the best gift is your friendship,and your love to your NICE and GREAT BOY!!!,its
                          for me a GOD blessing my friends!
                          I will sending some pics to my family.
                          I was CEO,from Pharmaceutical Company until 3 years ago,here in Buenos Aires,but I'm Peruvian Citizen,my sons,born here and in Croacia,when I work in the same activity.
                          My wife born in Kralovac.Anyway Buenos Aires is my last port!!
                          I have 64 years old,but inside my heart not more tha 15!!!!!
                          A strong hug for you and your family!!
                          Juan
                          P.S. I love Holland,and trip some times there,like a lot.For me is marvelleous place to live and enjoy his great atmosphere!!!

[...]

                          Got a little couch potato?

                        • Friedrich
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 18 12:22 PM
                            Hi Laurel,

                            If you can't buy flies with curly wings you can put flies in the fridge so they will slow down; than you can take off their wings.

                            Friedrich

                            wrote:

                            > Dear Laurel,
                            >
                            > I don't have a camera at hand but I will lent one to make a picture
                            of my escape-proof containers.

                            > Concerning capturing flies; I buy maggots at a sportfishing shop;
                            it's easy as that; furthermore you can buy flies in petshops where
                            also chamaeleons and lizards are sold with curly wings (especially
                            bred for lizardkeepers) ; these flies can't fly but just walk around
                            the enclosure and when they touch some silkthreads the spider emerges
                            and craps it.

                            > In certain petshops you can also buy fruitflies that can't fly.
                            >
                            > I hope this is will satisfy your questions.
                            >
                            > Cheers Laurel,
                            > Friedrich

                            17-6-2007 8:23

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                          • Friedrich
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 18 12:31 PM
                              Dear Juan,

                              Here another picture; me with my girlfriend Annemarie and an african child.

                              In a loving embrace,

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 18 12:58 PM
                                Hi Juan,

                                I forgot the pic; here it is.