Singing Northern Parula, Estes Park, Larimer Co., 6/2/12

  • Jim Nelson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2012
      Continuing to enjoy a great visit to Colorado. This sunny Saturday morning, I walked down to get a newspaper and birded along the way. At 7:55 at the corner of Lower Broadview Road and Mary's Lake Road on the west side of Estes Park, I heard an interesting warbler song, and I immediately thought "what western warbler sounds like a Northern Parula?" I searched for the bird and finally found it actively feeding and singing high in the tall Ponderosa Pines on the north side of the river close to the bridge. I got very good views of a male Northern Parula. At home in Maryland I hear and see them often, but I knew it was unusual here.

      Jim Nelson
      Bethesda, Maryland