Pave the Path in Conyers on May 19th.

  • Eddie Shirey
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24 4:31 PM
      The 5th annual Conyers Pave the Path is May 19th.  For cyclists and runners, Pave the Path includes a 2K run/walk, a 5K Run, a 10K Run ( a fast Peachtree qualifier course), a bike ride for kids under age 10, 45 minute leisurely guided rides around historic Olde Town Conyers, a 30'ish mile bike ride, and a challenging Metric Century Poker Ride.  These events are timed throughout the day so you have to opportunity to participate in more than one event if you'd like.

      The Pave the Path event is organized by the Conyers-Rockdale Bike & Trail Coalition (CRBTC).  Over the last few years we've been the advocate voice of our community for cyclists and pedestrians.  In cooperation with other entities we've accomplished the following & more:  A one day seminar with the League of American Bicyclists to set in motion our effort to become a Bicycle Friendly Community (honorable mention 2012), a Bike Festival, a Regional Multi-Use Trail Plan, the Olde Town Conyers Trail to Johnson Park, Safe Routes to School design work for Pine St Elementary, a monthly leisurely family ride in Olde Town, and a bonafide Bike/Ped Plan for the City of Conyers. We've also given away countless bikes, and installed sharrows on designated roadways in our community.  Most importantly we are in frequent contact with our community's elected officials and administrators reminding them of their responsibility to provide safe passage for ALL our community's cyclists and pedestrians.

      The Pave the Path Event is our longstanding & only fundraiser.  We will spend the money wisely to continue our effort.

      The "challenging" Metric Century Poker Ride threads out first into hilly north Rockdale County to Ms Joyce's rest stop at our Veteran's Park then returns to the Depot in Olde Town.  Then the route loops through south Rockdale County including several miles along the Arabia Mountain Trail before returning once again to the Depot.  2 covered bridges, cows, urban and rural roads.  Lots of hills.  We've added the "poker" part this year to keep it interesting--the more riders, the bigger the pot! Within a stone's throw at the finish are a variety of watering holes with good food and adult beverages.

      We hope you come to visit us.  We'll make sure you're taken care of and that you'll have a good time.  Your run and/or ride will ensure our work can continue.  And remember "A rising tide lifts all boats".