looking for seaside sparrow hot spots

  • clitek
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
      I am relatively new to AL and am looking for hot spots to find Seaside
      Sparrow. I have the AL birding guide, but I realize it is a few years
      old and didn't know if any one area mentioned in the book is
      particularly better than the others. Any tips on reliable locations
      and times of day would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help!

      Craig Litteken
      Daphne, AL
    • hhorne@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hi Craig,

        Welcome to Alabama.

        If you have an audio recording of Seaside Sparrow this will go a long way
        to helping you find the birds. They usually
        will come close in to investigate and respond well to the use of playback
        techniques.

        The Airport Marsh at Dauphin Island has traditionally been a good spot to
        see these birds (along with Nelson's
        Sharp-tailed Sparrow). Try both the "trail" that bisects the small marsh
        paralleling the Airport entrance road to the
        north and also the large expansive marsh on the south side of the road
        especially near the end at the parking lot
        fence. I think I've had better and closer views at the first location. I
        have had the birds respond and "pop-up"
        throughout various times of the day, although my recollection is that
        sometimes around dusk you may see them
        feeding along the exposed mud edges of the marsh (but perhaps this is tide
        related instead of daylight related???).

        The very large expansive marshes north of Cedar Point to the west of the
        causeway leading down to the island may
        also be productive, but it is separated by a canal that parallels the road
        so you can't really get close to the birds.
        You also have to deal with traffic which can be a problem here. The large
        size of the marsh makes it difficult to see
        distance birds.

        Point aux Pines at the end of Marine Laboratory Road near Bayou LaBatre is
        another good spot. If the tide is low and
        there are board planks over the small water-filled canals you may be able
        to walk out into the juncus marsh south
        of the dead-end road and flush sparrows here.

        If you have access to a boat, the marshes of Isle aux Herbes (i.e. Coffee
        Island) offer perhaps some of the best
        opportunities to see this species.

        Hope this helps.

        Howard Horne
        Mobile, AL

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
          Dear Craig,

          I see from my records that I saw my first Seaside Sparrow on Dauphin
          Island in September 2006. I don't have the specific area on the island
          but I'm almost positive it was at the airport. I've also seen them on
          Point aux Pins, south of Bayou La Batre. It helps if you have a
          recording to play, patience is also important.

          I hope you will join the CBA on the next field trip to Ft. Morgan on
          Nov. 8. Go to:

          http://coastalbirdingassoc.org/

          for more details about the association and the birding field trips.

          Chazz Hesselein
          Mobile, AL

          clitek wrote:

          > I am relatively new to AL and am looking for hot spots to find Seaside
          > Sparrow. I have the AL birding guide, but I realize it is a few years
          > old and didn't know if any one area mentioned in the book is
          > particularly better than the others. Any tips on reliable locations
          > and times of day would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help!
          >
          > Craig Litteken
          > Daphne, AL

        • Eric Soehren
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2008
            Hi Craig,

            Both Howard and Chazz identified some great areas for finding Seaside
            Sparrows. In my experience, the easiest and most accessible place to
            see them on a regular basis is at the Dauphin Island airport marsh.
            Although they can be found year around, the most aesthetically
            pleasing time to experience this species is in late winter/early
            spring when males begin singing. During these times, they are
            usually high enough in the vegetation that you can set up a scope and
            have great views of them. Early to mid-morning and late afternoon
            are usually the best times to observe them. While searching for
            Seasides this winter, another species to be on the look out for is
            the beautiful Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows, arguably one the
            prettiest sparrows in North America. They too can regularly be seen
            at the D.I. airport marsh, especially in early spring. Good luck!

            Good Birding,

            Eric Soehren
            Shorter, AL