Re: Coming from Canada!!

  • John Wheeler
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 4, 2012
      As a person who has had Lyme disease, I'd say this is good advice. My infectious disease doctor said to use at least 30 percent DEET. He said the percentage only affected how long it lasts, but 30 percent should last at least 4 hours. (Lyme disease caused me to lose my ability to walk and I was in a rehab hospital for 5 weeks learning to walk again. So it can be very serious. Lyme disease is carried by deer ticks and they are tiny, much smaller than a dog tick. Furthermore, it's primarily the tick nymph that spreads the disease and they are even smaller—about the size of a pencil point. And there's no good test to determine if you have the disease or not. Plus there is no immunity to it. So even though I've had the disease, I can get it again from a tick.)
      I'm the C&O Canal Association's "Level Walker" for the towpath section from Fifteenmile Creek (Little Orleans) upstream to Stickpile Hiker-Biker (near Bonds Landing). This past week I walked that section several times and I've never seen the grass and weeds so high on the sides of the towpath. Poison ivy and multi-flora roses were encroaching in the walking/biking path and there were lots of downed limbs. We cleared the limbs off the path for that section, but storms will drop more. One biker got a branch in his bike and it broke the frame. So in addition to ticks, mosquitoes, and poison ivy, one must be on the alert for obstacles on the towpath. The high grass makes it much more difficult to see them. This, I assume, is a reflection of the huge budget cuts that have hit the C&O Canal National Historic Park.

      --- In coTowpath@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <joeoutdoors53@...> wrote:

      > Don't go with the mamby pamby mosquito spray. Buy spray with DEET in it, I recommend Ben's 100 max formula. (98.11% deet) If you can't find that, which I couldn't at our store in Columbus, Ohio,I bought OFF! Deep woods with 98.25% deet. buy any repellent with Deet, and especially the 98% or so type. I learned that the mosquitors LOVED the cheep, watered down Deet...to get a buzz..(no pun intended...it never phased them).
      > As for civil war history! Unless the others have a better suggestion, I plan on diverting to Antietam from either the Horseshoe bend area, or the Snyder's Landing area and riding over to Sharpsburg/battlefield area. (Isn't there an ice cream store in Sharpsburg, Nutter's?). Then into Harpers Ferry for a history tour, John Brown...and more.
      > Transport back to P'burgh.... check out Amtrak. http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245652139
      >
      > --- In coTowpath@yahoogroups.com, Chris S <chriss723@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Morning Tracey!!
      > >
      > > I called a company that specializes in shuttling bikes and gear from the end of the trial. They charge 280 dollars to transport gear and bikes. Dont know if that is a good rate or not but I think that I would be hard pressed to get a cab company to shuttle me back. As for the Lyme, I will be wearing bike jerseys and bike shorts, I guess I will be careful to always use bug spray!!
      > >
      > > Have a great day, we are in London for a wedding.
      > >
      > > Chris
      > >

      > > ________________________________

    • Rachel Stewart
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 4, 2012
        Chris, the disease is carried by ticks and my colleagues use a product called permethrin - - on the day before you go out, spray your clothes (pants, shirt, socks - not your skin) with the stuff outside and let it dry there.  ticks might still hop on but they'll not survivie.
        One potential danger that several people have alluded to on the C & O Canal towpath is sticks and small tree limbs.  You'll be riding through a forest and there will always be sticks and small limbs - - well, sometimes big ones as well - - lying in wait trip your front wheel or to tangle in the spokes and ruin your dayr .  Don't want to scare you, just warn you to look out.  We who hike on the trail try to flick those things off the towpath so others won't get hurt.

        Hope you have a great time.  Oh, and sometimes the water at Swain's Lock (lock #20) is not running.  That's between MP 15 and 16, and is the last camping place above Great Falls and the trail into DC.

        Rachel Stewart
        e-mail: adrian5333@...

        ________________________________

        I recently participated in a ride from Cumberland into DC. It was
        wonderful. There were several places along the way to stop for food, as
        long as we planned well. We ate most dinners at camp though. We did 55, 50,
        50, 30 mile days. We ate at the Schoolhouse Kitchen in Oldtown for lunch on
        Day 1, Bill's Place in Little Orleans for dinner Day 1, with a ride after
        dinner, the Desert Rose Cafe in Williamsport for lunch on Day 2, Sloppy
        Taco in Brunswick for lunch on Day 3, & then ate lunch in Georgetown on the
        final day.
        There are some stores in addition to the restaurants and even a few bike
        shops & of course there is water at every hiker biker campground. The trail
        seems safe to me. I wouldn't do it alone, but would feel fine with my
        husband or as a group.

        The surface is different depending on where you are on the trail. Some
        spots are crush and run, others are a little more rocks and dirt, but
        nothing was too difficult to get through with a variety of bikes. I rode a
        hybrid, but there were a variety of bikes on our ride, including road bikes
        with skinny tires and mountain bikes. A hybrid is actually ideal. It is
        fairly well maintained, but be careful as you ride near the green
        vegetation near the edges of the trail...lots of poison ivy and stinging
        nettle.

        There are a couple of detours (one involving riding on the road, with some
        rolling hills and one involving stairs you must ascend and descend to get
        to a separate part of the trail since the regular trail is under
        construction.) I was lucky enough to be with someone else when I got to
        the stairs and he carried my bike up and down. I could've done it, but he
        made it way easier.

        Overall, it is an incredibly enjoyable ride. I will say that it will be
        much warmer when you all ride in 3 weeks. Depending on how you are
        affected by the heat, you may need to adjust your timing. Two of the
        members of our group did the ride last year in June and it was close to 100
        degrees...they said it was much easier this year, with temps not exceeding
        the low 80s. Mornings were a little chilly though, at 40-50.

        Feel free to ask any other questions...and check out this site, which I
        found very helpful...
        http://bikewashington.org/canal/index.php

        Happy riding!

        Tracey
        On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:07 PM, chriss723@... <chriss723@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi all..
        >
        > My wife and I are considering coming to ride the trial in 3 weeks> Are
        > most of the stores that sell food ect in the small towns still in business
        > or have they closed down??
        >
        > Is there still lots of places to buy food, water ect along the trial??
        >
        > Is the trial SAFE??
        >
        > Whats the surface like, is it well maintained?? Would a hybride be OK?? Is
        > it verry rough or it it cinder like?? Is this an enjoyable trip do you
        > think??
        >
        > Any responces would be greatly appreciated!!
        >
        > Chris

      • Joe
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 6, 2012
          John Wheeler. Thanks for this insight. I hope, and it sounds as if you have had a full recovery, and is back to doing the walking the path. It speaks highly of your fortitude. As for ticks and the advice, it is important to know that. I have been known to lightly brush a limb or even a clump of grass, and somewhere way down the path, I see a tick! Main thing is, inspect your body!