Prepping my bike for the GAP/C&O

  • joeoutdoors53@att.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2012
      I broke out my old 1979 Schwinn Traveler 3 recently. I hadn't ridden that since 1989, stuck in the back reaches of my garage for "just such an occasion". I had a 27 inch front rim back there too, not original to the bike, but it works. The tires were dry rotted, tubes the same. I bought lower end Kevlar tires and tubes. Chain needed lubed, and axles/bearings all cleaned and greased. I took this 10 speed out for a 23 mile shakedown ride on the 19th and 28 miles yesterday. It sure does handle differently than my Scattante R570, but I believe that on the GAP/C&O that difference will be nullified. I believe the Schwinn will handle the surfaces with ease.
      The last and only time I rode the Trail in 2009, it was with a LeMond road bike, with the widest tires I could install 28s, I think. That bike actually handled the trails better than my two friends Hybrids. We did a max distance ride of 80 miles from Ohiopyle to Evitts Creek. and 76 from Evitts to Ft Frederick as 2nd longest. This time, June 23- July 1, I plan on riding down to DC and back with a friend. We are hoping to get a couple or 3 centuries, to stay ahead of the time, and to account for a rainy day, and then confronting that mud on the C&O. We have 9 days allotted, I don't think we will have any time/miles problems, barring any inclement weather. We will probably drop down around Big Woods area to get into Antietam, then get down to Harpers Ferry. I am looking forward to seeing these areas again, and to eat at the Secret Six Tavern. Hoping to get into Mommer's in Brunswick for a breakfast. Ron and I plan on getting a shakedown 200 in soon on the Cuyahoga Towpath Trail (NE Ohio, below Cleveland, to get acclimated to our bikes. Ron, 59 has an old "tank" and bad knees and back, but overcomes very well. Me, 56 and by default, riding an old tank. We rode around Lake Erie a few years ago (minus Detroit... had to take the ferry across) started and ended in Central Ohio 750 miles in 10 days. I have no doubt Ron can handle this! He is in for a real treat.
      Thanks for all your insights you folks have given to me recently. I don't get on here too often, but I enjoy reading your posts. I hope to have some for you folks this June.
    • half_fast_biker
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 25, 2012
        I've seen all manner of bicycles being ridden on the towpath, mountain bikes, cyclocross bikes, road bikes, hybrid bikes, tandems, single speed beach cruiser bikes, 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub bikes from the 70's, BMX bikes, and recumbents. Pretty much anything is possible to ride on the C&O, as long as the tires are wide enough. Just when you think you need some type of special bike to ride on the towpath you see some guy on a 40 year old bike with a milk crate for a rear rack, and with a dog riding in a wire handlebar basket......and he's riding in jeans, a flannel shirt, and hiking boots.

        BTW, that good ol' American Schwinn Traveler 3 you have there was more than likely really made by Panasonic in Japan for Schwinn. For a bike of that age first thing I'd do is replace the brake pads, and maybe take a spare freewheel on the trip too.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2012
          You pegged it. The Schwinn was built in Japan.It is a tank. it is virtually all tuned up, brakes and all. Yet, from what you stated that you have seen on the path, and how I rode it the first time with my LeMond, several years ago, it may be a last minute decision to ride my good Scattante.Thanks for the reply.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 6, 2012
            A good example of how you can ride almost anything on the C&O towpath:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1fslp2f0PY&feature=relmfu

            Wait until Paul sees that video !.

            --- In coTowpath@yahoogroups.com, "joeoutdoors53@..." <joeoutdoors53@...> wrote:

            > You pegged it. The Schwinn was built in Japan.It is a tank. it is virtually all tuned up, brakes and all. Yet, from what you stated that you have seen on the path, and how I rode it the first time with my LeMond, several years ago, it may be a last minute decision to ride my good Scattante.Thanks for the reply.
            >
            > --- In coTowpath@yahoogroups.com, "half_fast_biker" <half_fast_biker@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've seen all manner of bicycles being ridden on the towpath, mountain bikes, cyclocross bikes, road bikes, hybrid bikes, tandems, single speed beach cruiser bikes, 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub bikes from the 70's, BMX bikes, and recumbents. Pretty much anything is possible to ride on the C&O, as long as the tires are wide enough. Just when you think you need some type of special bike to ride on the towpath you see some guy on a 40 year old bike with a milk crate for a rear rack, and with a dog riding in a wire handlebar basket......and he's riding in jeans, a flannel shirt, and hiking boots.

          • DancesWithCars
            Message 5 of 7 , May 6, 2012
              cute...

              dogs seem too close to the wheels in front
              for my comfort.

              wheel base nice for double track,
              but not much room for others to get by coming
              the other or same way...
              but shown kind of off season

              envious of a dog sled type drive train,
              not sure if the guys switch places,
              noticing the front guy is pedalling,
              back guy can't, he's basically in the pickup
              truck bed

              wonder about a double rig,
              bike in front pulling bike in back
              instead of unitized bed type thing

              I guess the dogs could be deharnessedd
              and ride downhill in the bed with the
              other guy

              GoPro? type camera rigged on a pole?

              catchy music
              Hearing Wolf instead of WooF

              --
              DancesWithCars
              leave the wolves behind ;-)
              Message 6 of 7 , May 6, 2012
                Whoever put that video up on youtube might want to remove it as it shows people breaking the law (starting at the 2:00 mark) by letting the dogs off leash. Dogs must be leashed in the park.

                Read paragraph 3 in this article:
                http://www.nps.gov/choh/parknews/deer-killed-by-dogs-off-leash.htm

                On May 6, 2012, at 9:07 AM, half_fast_biker wrote:

                > A good example of how you can ride almost anything on the C&O towpath:
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1fslp2f0PY&feature=relmfu
              • Joe
                Message 7 of 7 , May 7, 2012
                  gives a new perspective on bicycle riding! With those dogs leashed to the "bike" it is no wonder the guy sitting in the back has no crank. I would hope they switch places, also. I just wonder how often the dogs get a paw run over. Quite interesting, at that!