Miles per day

  • Topo Engineer
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 22, 2012
      Hello,

      Wife and I plan to bike the entire length of the C and O canal this summer.
      What is a good milage per day to try and attian? We plan to stay at B and B at night.
    • half_fast_biker
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 22, 2012
        It's almost impossible to tell because we don't know what kind of bike riders you are, i.e. beginners, weekend cyclists, experienced tour bicyclists, etc.

        For most people it could be anywhere from 30-60 miles per day. It all depends how often you stop for breaks, and if you take any sightseeing trips off the towpath, like for Harpers Ferry, or Antietam battlefield.

        --- In coTowpath@yahoogroups.com, "Topo Engineer" <topo.engineer@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Wife and I plan to bike the entire length of the C and O canal this summer.
        > What is a good milage per day to try and attian? We plan to stay at B and B at night.

      • Carrie Price
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 22, 2012
          I've done it two years in a row now, am a casual weekend biker, and have done anywhere from 30 miles a day to 50 miles a day. Both times it took me four days at a pretty comfortable pace.

          Have fun!

          Carrie

          To: coTowpath@yahoogroups.com
          From: half_fast_biker@...
          Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 01:32:35 +0000
          Subject: [coTowpath] Re: Miles per day

          It's almost impossible to tell because we don't know what kind of bike riders you are, i.e. beginners, weekend cyclists, experienced tour bicyclists, etc.

          For most people it could be anywhere from 30-60 miles per day. It all depends how often you stop for breaks, and if you take any sightseeing trips off the towpath, like for Harpers Ferry, or Antietam battlefield.

          --- In coTowpath@yahoogroups.com, "Topo Engineer" <topo.engineer@...> wrote:

          > Hello,

          > Wife and I plan to bike the entire length of the C and O canal this summer.

          > What is a good milage per day to try and attian? We plan to stay at B and B at night.

        • John Fry
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 22, 2012
            This depends on how fast you go and how much conditioning you have.

            The Fat Boys typically 60-80 miles /day.

            We are in average/good condition.  We train about  30-45 miles at least once per week in the 3-4 weeks (just before going on a long trip)..just to get our butts back in shape.

            I would say for the person that has no conditioning 16 miles per day is max.  You will get sore.

            If you typically ride about 10-15 miles -and at least twice per week, then you may be able to do 30-35 per day.

            If you typically ride about 30-45 miles - at least once per week, then you should be able to do 60 miles/day.

            If you typically ride 45-60 miles at least once per week - you may be at the 90 mile range.

            ________________________________
            Wife and I plan to bike the entire length of the C and O canal this summer.
            What is a good milage per day to try and attian? We plan to stay at B and B at night.

          • tom norton
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 23, 2012
              Your best bet would be to map out where the available lodging is located
              then plan your days accordingly.

              On 22 April 2012 20:15, Topo Engineer <topo.engineer@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > Wife and I plan to bike the entire length of the C and O canal this summer.
              > What is a good milage per day to try and attian? We plan to stay at B and
              > B at night.

            • Mary Shaw
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 23, 2012
                As half-fast says, it depends on your style, especially whether you want to
                blast straight through or spend time looking at things along the way.

                If you want to stay in B&Bs and the like, there's a practical lower limit
                on the miles per day, because there are some stretches of the towpath that
                don't have indoor lodging. When there's lodging in Paw Paw, there are some
                stretches of 30 miles between lodging. Current information is that none of
                the lodging in Paw Paw will open this spring, so that gives you a stretch
                of 44 miles between Cumberland and Little Orleans with no overnight
                lodging. Of course, if you're camping you have many more options.

                See Linking Up (the book, new edition should go to the printer this week).
                Relevant content is online now at http://linkup.shaw-weil.com This also
                has some sample itineraries -- though some of them optimistically assume
                that something will open up in Paw Paw.

                Mary Shaw

                On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Topo Engineer <topo.engineer@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hello,
                >
                > Wife and I plan to bike the entire length of the C and O canal this
                > summer.
                > What is a good milage per day to try and attian? We plan to stay at B and
                > B at night.

              • Pamela Sperry
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 23, 2012
                  Hello,A group of us had a great trip a few summers ago. Cumberland - Hancock - Williamsport - Harpers Ferry -Georgetown. We were in Williamsport for their July 4th performance which was very good. WE stretched over 4 days. It gave us some time to take in the sights at each stop and have a well deserved meal. Highly recommend 1820 Inn at Hancock. Enjoy! It was truly an event I will never forget. p.s. I am a OK biker, but trained a bit before hand to get used to being in the saddle for an extended period.
                  To: coTowpath@yahoogroups.com
                  From: topo.engineer@...
                  Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 00:15:05 +0000

                  Hello,

                  Wife and I plan to bike the entire length of the C and O canal this summer.

                  What is a good milage per day to try and attian? We plan to stay at B and B at night.

                • Jerry
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 24, 2012
                    Yeah about 50 miles per day Average

                    Some days want to get there
                    ( as in 'Are we there yet?' )
                    Other days hang out and lounge/ linger / eat again

                    Everything is weather dependent too

                    ---
                    Please excuse the typing, very small keyboard...