Jerry Karle

  • Robert Sweet
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19 7:54 AM
      Jerry Karle died a couple of weeks ago, and one of us here learned about
      it by noticing his obituary in the NY Times:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/15/health/jerome-karle-94-dies-nobelist-for-crystallography.html?_r=0

      He's well known to those of us who started in this field when the solving
      of a Patterson function for a heavy atom in a structure was the only way
      we knew to get the structure. With Herb Hauptman, and in close teamwork
      with his wife Isabella who actually >did< crystallography, he played a
      major role in working out the sort of Direct Methods that allowed one to
      solve ordinary small-molecule structures before the days of high-speed
      computing. As the obituary points out, Jerry and Herb shared the 1985
      Nobel Prize in Chemistry for this work. The obit. is worth reading. I
      suspect you'll see an even better one in Nature soon.

      My own tiny personal memory of Jerry Karle: When I was a grad student at
      the Univ. of Wisc. with Larry Dahl I made a pilgrimage to the NRL to visit
      Jerry and Isabella. I was trying to use direct methods to solve at least
      one cephalosporin structure, which eventually appeared in my thesis, and
      there was a feature of DM that I failed to understand. They were very
      patient with me, but couldn't understand what it was I didn't get. It
      turns out to have been essentially trivial, but that's the way it goes
      sometimes. Anyway he always recognized me afterwards, or pretended to.
      I was delighted on arriving at BNL to discover that his daughter Louise
      was here.

      Bob

      Robert M. Sweet E-Dress: sweet@...
      Group Leader, PXRR: Macromolecular ^ (that's L
      Crystallography Research Resource at NSLS not 1)
      http://px.nsls.bnl.gov/
      Photon Sciences and Biosciences Dept
      Office and mail, Bldg 745, a.k.a. LOB-5
      Brookhaven Nat'l Lab. Phones: