CNS_ARCH for cns1.2 installation in Mac

  • wadud
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2011
      Hi,

      I am stuck to install CNS 1.2 in Mac.

      I don't know exactly how to edit CNS_ARCH for Mac in cns_solve_env file.

      I will appreciate if anyone helps me. I have tried two ways, but it doesn't work.

      I made sure the cns_solve_env file is in right directory that is

      /usr/local/cns_solve_1.2

      1.

      When I source cns_solve_env file, it works fine. When I prompt "make install", error msg is

      `'the architecture of the machine is unknown - CNS_ARCH=unknown-x86_64-Darwin aborting installation
      make: *** [install] Error 1''

      2.

      I changed the line,
      if ( ! $?CNS_ARCH ) setenv CNS_ARCH '$CNS_SOLVE/bin/getarch'

      by:

      setenv CNS_ARCH 'Darwin'

      when I source cns_slve_env file and prompt "make install' the error msg is

      /usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/Darwin/arch_env does not exist

      details are given below

      [Mohammad-Bhuiyas-Mac-Pro:/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2] mohammadbhuiya% make install
      copying files in instlib directory to Darwin
      dec-alpha-osf/
      dec-alpha-osf/arch_env
      dec-alpha-osf/fft/
      dec-alpha-osf/fft/fft.f
      dec-alpha-osf/machine_c.c
      dec-alpha-osf/machine_f.f
      dec-alpha-osf/Makefile.header
      hp/
      hp/arch_env
      hp/machine_c.c
      hp/machine_f.f
      hp/Makefile.header
      linux/
      linux/arch_env
      linux/machine_c.c
      linux/machine_f.f
      linux/Makefile.header.fort77
      linux/Makefile.header.g95
      linux/Makefile.header.gfortran
      linux/Makefile.header.ifort
      linux/Makefile.header.pgf77
      sgi/
      sgi/arch_env
      sgi/fft/
      sgi/fft/fft.f
      sgi/machine_c.c
      sgi/machine_f.f
      sgi/Makefile.header
      windows-nt/
      windows-nt/cns_exe.ico
      windows-nt/cns_solve_env.bat
      /usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/Darwin/arch_env does not exist

      [Mohammad-Bhuiyas-Mac-Pro:/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2] mohammadbhuiya% printenv | grep CNS
      CNS_SOLVE=/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2
      CNS_ARCH=Darwin
      CNS_LIB=/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/libraries
      CNS_MODULE=/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/modules
      CNS_TOPPAR=/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/libraries/toppar
      CNS_CONFDB=/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/libraries/confdb
      CNS_XTALLIB=/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/libraries/xtal
      CNS_NMRLIB=/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/libraries/nmr
      CNS_XRAYLIB=/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/libraries/xray
      CNS_XTALMODULE=/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/modules/xtal
      CNS_NMRMODULE=/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/modules/nmr
      CNS_HELPLIB=/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/helplib

      Thank you for any suggestion.

      Wadud
    • Ben Eisenbraun
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
        Hi Wadud,

        > I am stuck to install CNS 1.2 in Mac.
        >
        > I don't know exactly how to edit CNS_ARCH for Mac in cns_solve_env file.

        That is supposed to be populated by the getarch script. The version of the
        script you have doesn't understand your new Mac hardware type. There was a
        thread on this mailing list on this issue over the summer.

        > I changed the line,
        > if ( ! $?CNS_ARCH ) setenv CNS_ARCH '$CNS_SOLVE/bin/getarch'
        >
        > by:
        >
        > setenv CNS_ARCH 'Darwin'

        Set CNS_ARCH to mac-intel-darwin, and it will probably work.

        -ben

        --
        | Ben Eisenbraun
        | SBGrid Consortium | http://sbgrid.org |
        | Harvard Medical School | http://hms.harvard.edu |
      • wadud bhuiya
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011

           Hi Ben,

          Thank you so much for your suggestion. It helps me to setup machine architecture but now I have new error msg. I don't know why it says

          linking source files to mac-intel-darwin/source.

          Is there any easy way to install CNS in Mac?

          Best,

          Wadud

          Details msg are

          mohammadbhuiya% source cns_solve_env

          mohammadbhuiya% make install

          copying files in instlib directory mac-intel-darwin to mac-intel-darwin

          Makefile.header

          arch_env

          machine_c.c

          machine_f.f

          this is an unsupported machine type

          linking source files to mac-intel-darwin/source

          ln: ./angledb.f: Permission denied

          ln: ./angledb.inc: Permission denied

          ln: ./aria.f: Permission denied

          ln: ./ariass.f: Permission denied

          ln: ./arical.f: Permission denied

          ln: ./ariman.f: Permission denied

          ln: ./arivio.f: Permission denied

          ln: ./array.f: Permission denied

          ln: ./carb.f: Permission denied

          ln: ./Makefile.proto: Permission denied

          make[2]: Makefile.proto: No such file or directory

          make[2]: *** No rule to make target `Makefile.proto'.

          make[2]: Failed to remake makefile `Makefile.proto'.

          make[2]: *** No rule to make target `machinefile'.

          make[1]: *** [machinefile] Error 2

          make[2]: Makefile.proto: No such file or directory

          make[2]: *** No rule to make target `Makefile.proto'.

          make[2]: Failed to remake makefile `Makefile.proto'.

          make[2]: *** No rule to make target `fftfile'.

          make[1]: *** [fftfile] Error 2

          make[2]: Makefile.proto: No such file or directory

          make[2]: *** No rule to make target `Makefile.proto'.

          make[2]: Failed to remake makefile `Makefile.proto'.

          make[2]: *** No rule to make target `makefiles'.

          make[1]: *** [makefiles] Error 2

          make[2]: *** No rule to make target `compiler-test'.  Stop.

          make[1]: *** [compiler-test] Error 2

          compiler problems - stopping installation

          please check compilers before retrying installation

          make: *** [install] Error 1

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2011
            Hi Wadud,

            > Thank you so much for your suggestion. It helps me to setup machine
            > architecture but now I have new error msg. I don't know why it says
            >  >>>> WARNING: this is an unsupported machine typelinking source files to
            > mac-intel-darwin/source.

            Here's a quick and dirty howto that will hopefully work:

            - install gfortran from hpc.sourceforge.net. 'which gfortran' should show
            /usr/local/bin/gfortran.
            - install Xcode from Apple
            - expand CNS 1.2 and latest 1.3 tarballs to /usr/local

            tar xzf cns_solve_1.2_all.tar.gz -C /usr/local
            tar xzf cns_solve_1.3_all.tar.gz -C /usr/local

            - copy the patched getarch script from 1.3 into 1.2

            cp /usr/local/cns_solve_1.3/bin/getarch /usr/local/cns_solve_1.2/bin/

            - set the correct path for CNS_SOLVE in the env file

            cd /usr/local/cns_solve_1.2
            sed -i .bak -e 's#_CNSsolve_location_#/usr/local/cns_solve_1.2#g' cns_solve_env

            - Compile CNS

            tcsh
            source cns_solve_env
            make

            If it doesn't work, reply with the shell output for the command that
            failed. From your previous shell output, it looks like there were
            permissions problems for part of the build, so make sure you own the files
            and directories you are working on.

            > Is there any easy way to install CNS in Mac?

            You can join SBGrid Consortium; then you won't have to. :-)

            -ben