The BNL-Biology and NSLS Course on Synchrotron Data Collection: Please Apply

  • Robert Sweet
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2007
      We are offering RapiData 2008, the tenth offering of our popular course:

      Rapid Data Collection and Structure Solving at the NSLS: A Practical
      Course in Macromolecular X-Ray Diffraction Measurement

      The course will be held 6-11 April 2008. Students could be at any level
      from advanced undergraduate to full professor. 48 students will be
      accepted; 24 will bring their own specimens for data collection. Please
      read the course description at http://www.px.nsls.bnl.gov/RapiData2008/.
      You'll see that many experts in the field will be available for lectures and
      tutorials, and you'll find the application materials at this site.

      For the sixth time we will hold a short lecture course on the fundamentals
      of crystallography for roughly five hours on Sunday 6 April. The body of
      the RapiData course really requires that students have a healthy knowledge
      of crystallography. For potential students who have some experience but
      are shaky about fundamentals, this course will help. There will be a small
      additional fee for the fundamentals course, to pay for Saturday night
      accomodations and food on Sunday morning and noon.

      Latin American Scientists: Several scholarships are available, from the
      International Union of Crystallography, to pay partial travel and subsistence
      costs for Latin-American students and junior faculty. Please apply for the
      course, and then contact R. Sweet (sweet@...) if you are interested in
      applying for a scholarship. In accordance with the standards of the
      International Union of Crystallography, we observe the basic policy of
      non-discrimination, affirming the right and freedom of scientists to
      associate in international scientific activity without regard to such factors
      as citizenship, religion, creed, political stance, ethnic origin, race,
      colour, language, age, or gender, in accordance with the Statutes of the
      International Council for Science. At this course no barriers will exist
      beyond the application procedure that would prevent the participation of bona
      fide scientists.

      Robert M. Sweet E-Dress: sweet@...
      Group Leader, PXRR: Macromolecular ^ (that's L
      Crystallography Research Resource at NSLS not 1)
      http://px.nsls.bnl.gov/
      Biology Dept
      Brookhaven Nat'l Lab. Phones:
      Upton, NY 11973 631 344 3401 (Office)