New capability at GM/CA beamlines

  • Sanishvili, Ruslan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2007

      Dear Colleagues,

      We are pleased to announce a new mini-beam capability at the two GM/CA-CAT undulator beamlines in Sector 23 of the APS. We have implemented an apparatus to produce a strong, stable X-ray mini-beam. The apparatus is rapidly interchangeable with our standard beam. The flux and stability of the mini-beam have allowed successful data collection from macromolecule crystals of 5-10 micron size. We have tested the apparatus on several challenging projects with excellent results. Properties of the mini-beam are listed below.

      Size: user choice of 5 microns or 10 microns

      Flux: 1-2x10^13 photons/sec

      Flux stability: < 1% RMS over one minute; < 3% drift over 12 hours

      Beam time applications for the 5-10 micron mini-beam on GM/CA beamlines 23-ID-B and 23-ID-D can be made through the APS proposal system at

      http://www.aps.anl.gov/Users/Become_A_User/Getting_Started/index.html

      or by contacting Sheila Trznadel at strznadel@... or +1-630-252-0662.

      GM/CA-CAT staff

      Ruslan Sanishvili (Nukri), Ph.D.

      GM/CA-CAT, Bld. 436, D007
      Biosciences Division, ANL
      9700 S. Cass Ave.
      Argonne, IL 60439

      Tel: (630)252-0665
      Fax: (630)252-0667
      rsanishvili@...

    • Sanishvili, Ruslan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2007

        Dear Colleagues,

        Correct flux in our mini-beam announcement (see below) should have been 1-2x1011. Originally quoted flux is that of a full beam.

        We apologize for the confusion.

        GM/CA staff

        or by contacting Sheila Trznadel at strznadel@anl. gov or +1-630-252-0662.

        GM/CA-CAT staff

        Ruslan Sanishvili (Nukri), Ph.D.

        GM/CA-CAT, Bld. 436, D007
        Biosciences Division, ANL
        9700 S. Cass Ave.
        Argonne, IL 60439

        Tel: (630)252-0665
        Fax: (630)252-0667
        rsanishvili@ anl.gov

      • Sanishvili, Ruslan
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2007

          Dear colleague,

          This is to bring to your attention that there will be a session on Structural Biology in Neurological Disorders at ACA 2008. Description of the session is below. We encourage you to submit abstracts for the session and to attend while at the ACA meeting. Please note that the deadline for abstract submission is Dec. 15 after which the late submission fees will be assessed. Consult

          www.amercrystalassn.org/AbsSubmit/
          for details of the abstract submission. Your questions about the session can be directed to Ruslan Sanishvili (Nukri).

          We are looking forward to seeing you in Knoxville, TN

          13.03 Structural Biology in Neurological Disorders

          Time: Sunday Afternoon

          Organizers: Ruslan Sanishvili and Gergely Toth

          Description: For the first time, structural biology in neurological disorders will have a dedicated session at the ACA meeting. Neurological disorders rank second only to cardiovascular disorders among all diseases, if disease morbidity and mortality are combined, and is the first when suicide and substance abuse are included. The World Health Organization [WHO, 2001] estimated that over 450 million people around the world are affected by neurological disorders. A part of structural biology research in this area has been focused on elucidating the fundamentals of protein missfolding and protein fibrilization/aggregation and their connection to the cause of ailment such as Alzheimer

          s and Parkinsons diseases. Another part of structural biology research has been lagging behind, which is understandable, if one considers that many of the "players" or "villains" in these disorders are membrane proteins and intrinsically disordered proteins. To complicate matters, in many cases it is the interaction between several gene products or regulatory processes that often break down leading to disorders. As a result, structural biology of neurological disorders has been an extremely challenging field. Increased funding and development of advanced techniques in all steps of structural research allowed some of the challenges to be overcome and today we are witnessing impressive growth in the field. Particularly, advances in electron microscopy, multidimensional nuclear magnetic resonance and X-ray crystallography have enabled much of the progress. The session will present results of structural studies from wide range of neurological disorders those which have been studied for number of years and those with more recent breakthroughs; those with large populations of affected persons and those with relatively few, or "orphan diseases".