Re: a brief description...

  • marcf28
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2004
      Karl and all,

      This site by David Cope may be of interest. I haven't looked in
      depth or downloaded any of the music yet - it's on my to do list for
      later today.
      http://arts.ucsc.edu:16080/faculty/cope/experiments.htm

      Best,
      Marc
      --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "pjfjacks" <pjfjacks@s...>
      wrote:
      > A person who posts on another list devoted to development has an
      interesting signature, attributed to J. S. Bach:
      > "mathematics is music for the mind, music is mathematics for the
      soul" (I hope I got that right from memory),
      > But you get the gist. That would be the fourth vertice of this
      shape - how it moves us - perhaps a cultural thing
      > depending on context, but an important one. Those pieces I like
      (there are many!) almost always have some
      > passage that triggers some emotion quite stongly.
      >
      > Phil J.
      >

      > Hi karl and all,
      >
      > At the risk of making more work for you, might I suggest that you
      > consider 'squaring' the triangle if you are dealing with
      technology
      > in education - the fourth point being occupied by software
      > development. There are at least three members of this group who
      have
      > written excellent free programs for producing algorithmic music.
      >
      > Best,
      > Marc
      > --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "himself_uk2000"
      <karl@l...>
      > wrote:
      > > Ok Group, thank you for your open-armed welcome.
      > >
      > > In the short time I've been a member, I've been passed some
      quite
      > > inspirational links to aid me with my educational slant -
      notably
      > > that from Lauri Gröhn, who by `controlled' chance led me to
      Brian
      > > Eno's website; an article about Generative music.
      > >
      > > I have also been asked to share the outlines of my thinking,
      and
      > > although as I previously mentioned, I am on the beginning of my
      > > journey, I will attempt to share with you my thought-mind-map.
      > > (Forgive me if I'm a little lost, but I'm in a strange new
      world
      > and
      > > up against a steep learning curve).
      > >
      > > Δ Imagine a triangle. On each of the three points are;
      > EDUCATION,
      > > ALGORITHIC COMPOSITION and YOUR GROUP.
      > >
      > > I'm starting with Education, and wondering how its position on
      > Music
      > > Technology came to be. Of course, this is a social /
      cultural /
      > > historical question, and also considering its viewpoint from
      the
      > > traditional cannon of musical practice. (All my thoughts are
      > > primarily UK based by the way) . Moving on from this, very
      swiftly
      > > know - but Im trying an outline here - how the Algorithmic
      > > compositional ideals; i.Get missed ii. Can provide musical
      > value
      > > iii.Alter our educational perspective on both traditional
      music
      > > practice and music technology
      > >
      > > Your Group, is of particular interest to me as I can see and
      speak
      > > those people who are creating/talking/listening to this music -
      > music
      > > is of course, a social art. (I understand that any musical
      activity
      > > has three main practices; 1. Creation 2. Distribution 3.
      > > Reception/Consumption) - all three of which can be studied by
      > > observing the group. This valuable information can then be
      used
      > then
      > > to prove or disprove any theories I have. .
      > >
      > > The links between what I am calling `education' and `your
      group'
      > are
      > > in fact not so opposed, for all of you are in fact -
      educated.
      > The
      > > means by which you are educated varies whether this be in a
      > school -
      > > or your own dusty basement! But these Thought-Locations help
      me in
      > > the way I like to construct my thoughts.
      > >
      > > Any clearer?
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.