Re: OT: YES report

  • Dave Van Dyke
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 20, 2004
      I've been grinning from ear to ear because of this thread...
      I've (since, say Tales.., been a diehard fan). I love their constant
      (however slight) evolutions in their performances. I thought the last
      album (Magnification) was the best in ages, because, lacking a
      keyboardist, the core 4 had to change footing, then they put the
      orchestra behind it (with it, whatever). It carried alot better than
      their efforts to include an orchestra on top of the normal lineup.

      Marc - amazing coincidence on your statement about prefering the Algo
      (or in my case, just the creation process) to performance.....& Eno's
      making plans rather than executing them. I'm there & have just
      reached that stage of acceptance that I don't want to be in a band
      situation, play live, etc... too much trauma & hassle involved. I
      like to create, which in itself, is a neverending process.

      As luck would have it, I ran into a rather amazing WARR guitarist/
      sax player who had been turned on to some of my pieces & wants to see
      if we can colaborate on some things. We both have access to a variety
      of musicians, so we'll see what happens..... My position is, I'll
      take it up to a finished recording, & if he wants to take it beyond,
      he can do that. The point is, I wouldn't have it any other way.

      Cheers!!!!

      --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "marcf28" <marc@f...> wrote:
      > Hi Phil and all,
      >
      > The whole thing about the orchestral work is making me dizzy.
      There
      > are ideas that I've been carrying around for months - spanning out
      > into a couple of years or more probably. I'm finding it very
      > difficult though, because now I prefer to work with the alogrithmic
      > stuff. I think Eno hit the nail on the head when he said that
      > he 'prefers making plans to executing them'.
      >
      > I think those longer Yes tracks and the albums they were on
      > (from 'Close to the Edge' through to 'Relayer') were
      > quite 'symphonic' anyway. Ironically, I particularly
      liked 'Relayer' -
      > ironic because I got into Yes because of my interest in Rick
      > Wakeman, but thought that Patrick Moraz brought a fresh view to the
      > music.
      >
      > Best,
      > Marc
      >
      > --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "pjfjacks" <pjfjacks@s...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > Marc,
      > >
      > > Even thinking of Orchaestral in the same sentence as 'Relayer'
      > > makes me dizzy! Possibly 'To Be Over' comes to mind...
      > >
      > > Phil J.
      > >

      > > > Marc
      > > > --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "PhilJackson"

      > them
      > > > play

      > > > happily
      > > > like... :0)

      > > > <tconrardy@h...>
      > > > bounced
      > > good
      > with
      > > > cool
      > delic :-
      > > )

      > Rick
      > > was
      Jon
      > > was
      > > > so

      > > the
      > > > something
      > > > great!
      > > have
      > > all
      > > > the
      > > hear
      > it
      > > > lasted
      > > on
      > > > the
      > > > percussion
      > > > They are
      > you
      > > > leave
      > > > keyboards

      Gregs
      > > STONE
      > 70's.(

      Yes
      > > > show, and
      > band
      > > > and

    • marcf28
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 21, 2004
        Hi Dave and all,

        Well, I went into the city centre yesterday, and in spite of some
        pretty stern resolution, my legs went on auto-pilot to HMV where the
        sale seems to be in its last week. I was glad I did in the end,
        because I got the 'missing link' in my Yes collection as it had been
        on vinyl - 'Tormato'. At the time that came out, it was vastly under-
        rated in my opinion (I actually prefer it to its predecessor, 'Going
        for the One'. Sadly, it is not the newer release which has about as
        many previously unreleased tracks as original - but hey, I got it for
        £4, so I aint gonna gripe about it.

        Anyway - this orchestral work is bugging me. I guess it is kind of
        algorithmic without 'puters, in that it has a serial structure. The
        structure for a movement of about 5-8 minutes is all mapped out in my
        head, as well as some smaller rhythmic 'cells', derived from the
        overall structure. But getting the notes to 'play the game' - to
        produce something that is fairly transparent, but still interesting
        to listen to is something I'm finding very hard to do. The compuuter
        has definitely made me lazy!

        The guitartist/sax player sounds like a real find :) Hope it works
        out for you.

        Best,
        Marc
        --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Van Dyke"

      • mortsboslim
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 30, 2004
          Funny! I was just surfing from a Flower Kings discussion group to
          this post (the yahoo group "flowerkingsmail")! I LOVE The Flower
          Kings. I am actually going to see them live in concert for the first
          time in the end of may.

          /Mortsbo

          --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "carlos" <roinestolt@c...>