Domain of Arcturius (Coagula Lite)

  • marcf28
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hi all,

      I just uploaded 'Domain of Arcturius' to the warehouse:
      http://www.artsong.org/cnf/Warehouse/121822_domain_of_arcturius.mp3

      It's a soundscape, so definitely not a track to sing along to.

      This is my first full track created using waveforms generated
      in 'Coagula Lite'.
      http://hem.passagen.se/rasmuse/Coagula.htm

      The image used was a screen capture from a planetarium/astronomy
      program, which was a representation of what I would see out of my
      window if the British climate allowed for an occasional clear
      sky. 'Arcturius' was the brightest object shown, and this is heard as
      a low throbby 'booming' kind of sound, heard regularly at
      approximately 15 second intervals. The construction is a fairly
      simple canon. Apart from level and balance adjustments and some
      reverb in the final mix, the waveforms were not modified in any way.

      I'm also working on 'Zones of Arcturius', which uses the same star
      chart, but with the constellation lines enabled, so the sounds are
      more linear rather than the pointillistic sound in this track.

      All the best,
      Marc
    • Jan Fyhrholdt
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2004
        Hi Marc

        Listened to "Domains of Arcturius" and it sounds great. It sounds like some kind of language.
        Also very appropriate to choose a space theme as the domains of Mars are being explored.

        Jan Fyhrholdt

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Lauri Gröhn
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2004
          Nice piece. The soundscape reminds me of the electronic music of the
          70s.

          LG
          www.synestesia.com

          > I just uploaded 'Domain of Arcturius' to the warehouse:
          > http://www.artsong.org/cnf/Warehouse/121822_domain_of_arcturius.mp3
          > Marc
        • marcf28
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2004
            Hi Jan and Lauri,

            Thanks for the enthusiastic feedback.

            Jan - I think that using a very basic star-chart provided the minimal
            input that I've been looking for to use with Coagula. I may pick up
            on the Mars thing now you mention it. I can easily look back to when
            Mars was most clearly visible. I suspect that the results won't be
            dramatically different though. A more detailed star-chart would be
            different, but I was seeking a few discernable 'notes'.

            Lauri - well I was in my teens in the mid-70s and a music student at
            the end of the decade. It was a time of intensive learning about
            what was contemporary at that time, so I guess the influence must
            have rubbed off. :)

            Thanks,
            All the best,
            Marc
            --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, Lauri Gröhn
            <lauri.grohn@n...> wrote:

            > Nice piece. The soundscape reminds me of the electronic music of
            the
            > 70s.
            >
            > LG
            > www.synestesia.com
            >

            > > I just uploaded 'Domain of Arcturius' to the warehouse:

            http://www.artsong.org/cnf/Warehouse/121822_domain_of_arcturius.mp3
            > > Marc
          • timothyconrardy
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2004
              > I just uploaded 'Domain of Arcturius' to the warehouse:
              > http://www.artsong.org/cnf/Warehouse/121822_domain_of_arcturius.mp3
              >
              > It's a soundscape, so definitely not a track to sing along to.

              Reminds me of Morton Sobotnick's Silver Apples of the Moon ! Quite
              cool. I used to listen to a lot of this kind of music when first
              getting into electronic music. Glad to see a revival here!

              TimC
            • Lauri Gröhn
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2004
                Tim. You just said it. Morton Subotnick's piece from the year 1967.
                I once had it on reel to reel tape... LG

                --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "timothyconrardy"
                <tconrardy@h...> wrote:

                > Reminds me of Morton Sobotnick's Silver Apples of the Moon ! Quite
                > cool. I used to listen to a lot of this kind of music when first
                > getting into electronic music. Glad to see a revival here!
                >
                > TimC
              • PhilJackson
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2004
                  Indeed - I was reminded of that as well. Had to do a paper and presentation
                  as part of a project in a American Music class at the University...the other
                  students were
                  music majors and I was the lone computer geek, so Sobotnick was parcelled
                  out to me....
                  Traced out the parallels between the two worlds explaining some of the
                  evolution of computers from room-sized mammoths to something you could hold
                  in the palm of your hand, playing Subotnick selections from the very early
                  his latest at the time. Recollection is that I got a B+....

                  Phil J.

                  > Tim. You just said it. Morton Subotnick's piece from the year 1967.
                  > I once had it on reel to reel tape... LG
                  >
                  > --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "timothyconrardy"
                  > <tconrardy@h...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Reminds me of Morton Sobotnick's Silver Apples of the Moon ! Quite
                  > > cool. I used to listen to a lot of this kind of music when first
                  > > getting into electronic music. Glad to see a revival here!
                  > >
                  > > TimC
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • marcf28
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 3, 2004
                    Hi All,

                    Wow - I feel like I'm in good company; I have not heard that
                    particular piece, but used to enjoy listening to Sobotnick's work. I
                    only hope that it is not too similar - that would be freaky.

                    I've been playing around with Coagula for some time, and aiming at
                    variety in the output sound. Lines work okay, although they tend to
                    end up sounding like a conversation between the 'Clangers' (for the
                    benefit of my friends across the pond - Clangers was a 70s kids
                    program with animated characters (made from stuffed socks I believe)
                    set on a planet 'far, far away', their 'voices' were swanee whistles).

                    Once starting to produce some diversity in the sounds, the next
                    problem was organising those into some kind of cohesive construction.
                    Amazing that simplicity was the key (as is so often the case) - a
                    simple pattern of dots, and a very simple four-part canon.

                    All the best,
                    Marc
                    --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "PhilJackson"
                    <pjackson1@h...> wrote:
                    > Indeed - I was reminded of that as well. Had to do a paper and
                    presentation
                    > as part of a project in a American Music class at the
                    University...the other
                    > students were
                    > music majors and I was the lone computer geek, so Sobotnick was
                    parcelled
                    > out to me....
                    > Traced out the parallels between the two worlds explaining some of
                    the
                    > evolution of computers from room-sized mammoths to something you
                    could hold
                    > in the palm of your hand, playing Subotnick selections from the
                    very early
                    > his latest at the time. Recollection is that I got a B+....
                    >
                    > Phil J.
                    >

                    > > Tim. You just said it. Morton Subotnick's piece from the year
                    1967.
                    > > I once had it on reel to reel tape... LG
                    > >
                    > > --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "timothyconrardy"
                    > > <tconrardy@h...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Reminds me of Morton Sobotnick's Silver Apples of the Moon !
                    Quite
                    > > > cool. I used to listen to a lot of this kind of music when first
                    > > > getting into electronic music. Glad to see a revival here!
                    > > >
                    > > > TimC
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Gavin Stevens,,,
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 3, 2004
                      Hi Marc & all,
                      Domain of Arcturius sounds very cool - I like it a lot.

                      I used Coagula for one of my "Ulam Spiral" studies last year & a very
                      simple image with just a few dots on it, combined with judicious setting
                      of pitch parameters, produced some great harmonies.

                      Coagula is definitely one app. I miss from Windows. I feel I should see
                      if I can get it going in WINE.

                      Thanks for reminding me of the Clangers (& their diet of Blue String
                      Pudding).

                      Best wishes,

                      Gavin (watching out for the Soup Dragon :-))