[cnfractal_music] Napster

  • Forrest Fang
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
      "edgardo solano" <edgsu-@...> wrote:

      > here is some info about mp3.
      >

      > Napster:
      > http://freeware32.com/m.php3?P=++Napster
      > A wicked MP3 sharing program. No more of that @find and @locator on
      IRC.
      > MP3\'s without Napster is like MP3 songs without a player. (v2.0
      beta 3,
      > 01/27/00, 340KB, free)

      The Napster folks are on somewhat shaky legal grounds, from what I've
      heard. Yes, it's apparently an easy way for people to trade
      copyrighted music without paying for it. The RIAA have gone after them
      in court. (Not that I would want to be on the same side of any issue
      as the RIAA, mind you. They are not exactly looking out for the
      independent recording artist, unless you're a six-figure plus kind of
      guy.)

      Forrest
      http://pwp.value.net/ffcal/FFANG1.HTM
    • Phil Jackson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2000
        Hi Forrest and all,

        Forrest - you are an expert in legal matters, so your judgment on this
        matter
        is repected indeed - and thanks! I gather that the RIAA essentially
        represents
        the "big boys" and the recording companies, while ASCAP respresents
        people like
        what we have gathered here? At least one member is a member of ASCAP,
        and
        I have the paperwork for it around here somewhere. Your opinion Sir!

        A couple of years ago Lars pointed me towards a bizarre anti-amway site
        that
        was using an early MusiNum tune of mine for background music...at the
        time,
        I was impressed that they would even use it - but nowdays I think I
        might feel
        differently, especially if no credit at the very least, were given....

        Phil J.

        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/cnfractal_music/?start=876