Re: TimC's Early Light

  • Martin Lomas
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hi All,

      Congratulations Tim! On being the first entry, and on doing a lovely job. The music sounds beautiful and matches the movie superbly. I haven't even started yet :(

      SEE AND HEAR IT FOR YOURSELVES ---

      The movie theatre is now LIVE! Get to it via the cnfractal movies home page at http://cnfractal.pcplayground.com/ and Please report any bugs to me.

      NOTE: THE OFFICIAL UPLOAD AREA WILL BE READY VERY SOON! I'll let you know.

      Technical note: Tim, your MP3 was a couple of seconds shorter than the moive. It seems to sync well based on the beginning, so that's how I loaded it.

      Yours,
      Martin
      http://www.musicwomb.org/

    • Bob Van Belle
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
        > Congratulations Tim! On being the first entry, and on doing a lovely job.
        The music sounds beautiful and matches the movie superbly. I haven't even
        started yet :(
        > SEE AND HEAR IT FOR YOURSELVES ---
        > The movie theatre is now LIVE! Get to it via the cnfractal movies home
        page at http://cnfractal.pcplayground.com/ and Please report any bugs to me.
        ------------

        Hi Tim and Martin,

        I can only join with my congratulations, seeing and hearing Tim's version of
        this most
        interesting project! I hope that more contributions will follow (never mind,
        Martin,
        I'm also just in the learning phase like yourself I suppose). Now let's not
        be intimidated
        by Tim's work - which we could tell in advance would be the first to appear
        ;-)
        And it perfectly matches indeed!

        A little technical note though, Martin: wouldn't it be advisable to bring
        the whole
        Movie Theatre page a tiny bit UP: I almost overlooked the red bar that has
        to be
        pushed, because it was hiding behind my status bar!!

        And - Martin, as you seem to be able to do a lot! - would it be possible to
        add
        a counter (minutes and seconds) somewhere besides the movie window f.i.,
        which
        would make it easy for other participants to take notes about the duration
        of some
        sequences? Just in case this IS possible, it would be very 'handy'.

        Well, time to do something about the project ourselves...

        Greetings,

        Bob
      • Martin Lomas
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
          Hi Bob & All,

          Amazing! Great minds think alike. A position counter is the ONE thing I
          wanted to do and didn't have time yet. I will be tending to it shortly :)

          About the page setup - which bar do you mean - the "CONTINUE" one? Also,
          could you tell me what screen resolution you use (1024 x 768 etc.). I must
          admit I didn't pay attention to this. It's the sign of amateur code -
          doesn't play well with others! I'll do what I can to improve it.

          Thanks,
          Martin

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
            Hi Martin,

            I was talking about the red strip that is situated underneath where one can
            choose the audio file. But it's just a matter of 1 or 2 (text) lines on my
            screen.
            Thought there was a big bug, and that nothing could be pushed, but the strip
            was still below. Know what I'm talking about now?

            My screen resolution is only 800 x 600 pixels. For the moment (eyes getting
            older?)

            Thanks,

            Bob.
            -------------

            > About the page setup - which bar do you mean - the "CONTINUE" one? Also,
            > could you tell me what screen resolution you use (1024 x 768 etc.). I must
            > admit I didn't pay attention to this. It's the sign of amateur code -
            > doesn't play well with others! I'll do what I can to improve it.
          • timothyconrardy
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
              --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Lomas" <mlomas@r...>
              wrote:
              > Hi All,
              >
              > Congratulations Tim! On being the first entry, and on doing a
              lovely job. The music sounds beautiful and matches the movie
              superbly. I haven't even started yet :(

              Thanks...Once I figured out a way to cue the main sections( using
              live AEX playing) I was able to make a cue sheet to add the
              special "sound effects". If anyone is interested, I can post my cue
              sheet.

              > The movie theatre is now LIVE! Get to it via the cnfractal movies
              home page at http://cnfractal.pcplayground.com/ and Please report any
              bugs to me.

              thanks for setting this up so quickly.

              > NOTE: THE OFFICIAL UPLOAD AREA WILL BE READY VERY SOON! I'll let
              you know.

              that is why I uploaded to artsong.:-)

              > Technical note: Tim, your MP3 was a couple of seconds shorter than
              the moive. It seems to sync well based on the beginning, so that's
              how I loaded it.

              yes...that is fine...it was a bit tricky to sync up, but as long as
              the beginning was first, then as you said, the rest synced up.

              Thanks for all your hard work. Looking forward to other entries.

              TimC
            • Bob Van Belle
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
                > One question however, I suppose in the end the soundtrack will be a "mix"
                > of our best efforts? Or do we all make our owm soundtrack? This has
                > probably been discussed some time ago, but I forgot.
                > Dr. Ambient
                ---------------

                No, I don't think it has been discussed so far. My point of view is: let's
                all get
                along - alone - with this, as everybody will be developing different methods
                and styles; it should be a challenge. Afterwards (or during) we could
                exchange
                experiences, and why not set up our soundtrack in layers, so that some of
                these
                layers could (partly) be added to some final result. Plenty of
                possibilities, with
                projects like these! I also would like to read about programs and methods
                used
                (like Tim C already did)

                Other suggestions?

                Bob
              • Martin Lomas
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
                  Hi All,

                  Interesting; nothing stopping anyone creating a mix. Might work well since
                  Early Light has different "phases".

                  Now that the pages are set up, and include the video file only once, we can
                  quite easily repeat this project whenever we want.

                  Cheers,
                  Martin

                  > One question however, I suppose in the end the soundtrack will be a "mix"
                  > of our best efforts? Or do we all make our owm soundtrack? This has
                  > probably been discussed some time ago, but I forgot.
                  >
                  > Dr. Ambient
                • Martin Lomas
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2003
                    Hi Bob & All,

                    When I tried the online movie at screen res 800 x 600, it was even worse
                    than you described - I couldn't get to the list of audio tracks at all! So,
                    I've made that lower screen scroll-able when necessary.