[cnfractal_music] Re: What are we talking about?

  • Phil Thompson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19, 1999

      I agree with all of this... particularly the "reap continuous surprises".
      My fondest memory of writing my first CD was finding the sequence that
      eventually ended up as "Terra Nova"... I wasn't really paying that much
      attention, just mucking about killing time, hit "Play" and heard this (I
      think) beautiful melody leaping out at me. I've never moved my mouse to the
      "File/Save As" option quicker!!!

      Also, I agree with the 'pitfalls' thing, although even with generative stuff
      there's still a tendency to select parameters that are going to produce
      something that is familiar, and hence the traps still exist. Although on
      the other side of the coin I also think far more 'brainstorming' is done
      because it's completely impossible to start out with a piece in mind and end
      up with it. Every track I've done has started out as aiming for a certain
      ideal, and ending up as something totally different. Which is why I love it
      so much and now wouldn't consider writing music in a conventional sense
      again - because the element of surprise and 'discovery' isn't on a par.
      Although having been in a couple of bands and composed in trad. ways there
      are other wonderful benefits from collaborations etc. and I'm not knocking
      that. Recently I've been lucky in that I'm now working with traditional
      musicians on 'hybrid' material. I love it but it's very much a challenge
      and much more difficult than doing something purely trad. or purely
      generative as often the two 'sounds' clash when put together.

      The phrase I use to describe the 'generative' process when asked is - "If
      you consider my music as a 'baby', I didn't conceive it, I'm more the
      'midwife'. But also perhaps an 'adoptive parent' as I'm responsible in some
      ways for bringing it into the world". That echoes your idea of something
      having a life of its own, I think. I've been fortunate enough to have had a
      few media interviews about my tracks but find it very difficult to comment
      on them sometimes... I just feel like saying "why ask me... listen to the
      tracks and let them speak for themselves". Odd for their 'creator' to
      say... but it really feels like they're their own entities. Or perhaps
      that's me falling foul of a pretentious load of old psycho-babble... ha!
      :-)

      Phil T.
      http://www.organised-chaos.com