MiniFrippery

  • David Woolls
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
      Hi all,

      This is an attempt at less complexity at Casey's suggestion, taking two chunks from Frippery. Here I used Mono->Highest and Mono->Lowest on copies of the original extract and edited the result so that the two melodies were each in a sensible range, rather than leaping about. I then extracted the root of the original melody ever 2 beats and extracted the root of the combination of my two new melodies, and transposed them to give me a substantial bass.

      It is short because I find keeping control of even the intro's when attempting coherence a bit tricky at present, let alone giving the variations a passing resemblence to the theme and keeping them interesting. I think Mr Fripp and his pals can keep going like this for quite a while!

      I have actually only heard a couple of tracks of Fripp, in his League of Craft Guitarists incarnation. I chose the title in its dictionary sense of 'a trifle' (not the edible sort) or 'frivolous' as an adjective but also as a tease for the Fripp enthusiasts.

      David

    • Casey Van Tieghem
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
        On your next visit to a record store I suggest you buy a Young Person's
        guide to Discipline Records. It's a budget
        priced sampler CD and is chocked full of King Crimson and all it's spin off
        releases. Some excellent guitar work
        on there of course varying from way out there to just a cover of 'Sleep
        Walk'.
        I used to have one Fripp and Eno Tape (no pussyfooting) and a Fripp solo
        album Exposure, and if Giles, Giles, and
        Fripp count as a Fripp solo album.

        Casey