Fwd: Stuff

  • shawnbulen@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2000
      Hey there...

      Interesting thought, folks...

      I believe Babbitt, the first serial composer to use serial techniques (my
      personal definition of 'serial techniques' is 'algorithms'...) on time as
      well as notes (meaning, everything he did was algorithmic, instead of using
      algorithms to do the notes & manually doing the rhythm) will be involved in
      this event...

      Babbitt should be important to us.

      Babbitt was utilizing (by hand) algorithmic techniques similar to what our
      computer programs are now doing many, many years ago. Babbitt is widely
      respected among the classical music community. If you listen to Babbitt's
      work, it SOUNDS fractal/chaotic. (The FSQ1 piece 'particulate mist' sounds,
      to me, a lot like Babbitt's 'transfigured notes' - not necessarily in notes &
      structure, but in overall impact.)

      I am going to pursue getting involved in this event on a compositional basis
      if at all possible. I'll keep you posted.

      Shawn