Gingerbread

  • v_e_n_h_a_r_i_s
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 22, 2008
      Hi all,

      Just to say I'm still getting requests for Gingerbread files so I've
      made them available for download again here...

      http://omegaville.com/gingerbread

      There's a small Quick Start Tutorial there also for new users.

      I won't be releasing the sequel version "The Return" as XP Service
      Pack 2 stopped its Bar Lab working properly. And I've abandoned the
      idea of "Venharis" as even though I developed it using Direct X
      standards it seems to have compatibility issues with just about every
      different make of graphics card in the world.

      Still working on my third system Fractal Machine, and a new album
      Green Cathedral, and a 5.1 surround sound re-recorded version of
      my "best of". Not sure if "Machine" will be released officially as
      it would mean having to write help documentation and so on, but I may
      make it available as a Freeware system eventually.

      Sorry to be a bit of a fly-by-night in terms of this forum. I pop
      in, message, then disappear. I'm not being a primadonna - I have
      long term health issues - I have suffered with chronic clinical
      depression, anxiety, stress and exhaustion for close to a decade now
      and have been told I am unlikely to ever be cured. As a result I
      haven't been capable of working full time for some time and doubt I
      will again, and my creative output is sporadic as it interferes
      severely with my concentration.

      Not looking for sympathy or support - just explaining so that people
      realise that if I disappear I'm not being stand-offish or rude, I'll
      be back when I am capable.

      Hope everybody is having fun out there,

      Best wishes for now,

      Phil (Thompson).

      http://myspace.com/moontoad

      P.S. Re: my previous message re: a charity benefit dance show set to
      my music - it's NEXT December, not last one (mix up in
      communications), and will be in Kansas City. I'll post the details
      nearer the date.
    • PhilJackson
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 25, 2008
        Hi All,

        Phil T. - good to hear from you! I am sure this download page will be
        appreciated, as we still get questions from time to time re: where can
        GingerBread be gotten.

        Good luck on the new "Fractal Machine" and new works. We will be
        looking forward to hearing of progress on those fronts.

        Best of Luck in all things,

        Phil J.

        On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 06:08 +0000, v_e_n_h_a_r_i_s wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Just to say I'm still getting requests for Gingerbread files so I've
        > made them available for download again here...
        >
        > http://omegaville.com/gingerbread
        >
        > There's a small Quick Start Tutorial there also for new users.
        >
        > I won't be releasing the sequel version "The Return" as XP Service
        > Pack 2 stopped its Bar Lab working properly. And I've abandoned the
        > idea of "Venharis" as even though I developed it using Direct X
        > standards it seems to have compatibility issues with just about every
        > different make of graphics card in the world.
        >
        > Still working on my third system Fractal Machine, and a new album
        > Green Cathedral, and a 5.1 surround sound re-recorded version of
        > my "best of". Not sure if "Machine" will be released officially as
        > it would mean having to write help documentation and so on, but I may
        > make it available as a Freeware system eventually.
        >
        > Sorry to be a bit of a fly-by-night in terms of this forum. I pop
        > in, message, then disappear. I'm not being a primadonna - I have
        > long term health issues - I have suffered with chronic clinical
        > depression, anxiety, stress and exhaustion for close to a decade now
        > and have been told I am unlikely to ever be cured. As a result I
        > haven't been capable of working full time for some time and doubt I
        > will again, and my creative output is sporadic as it interferes
        > severely with my concentration.
        >
        > Not looking for sympathy or support - just explaining so that people
        > realise that if I disappear I'm not being stand-offish or rude, I'll
        > be back when I am capable.
        >
        > Hope everybody is having fun out there,
        >
        > Best wishes for now,
        >
        > Phil (Thompson).
        >
        > http://myspace.com/moontoad
        >
        > P.S. Re: my previous message re: a charity benefit dance show set to
        > my music - it's NEXT December, not last one (mix up in
        > communications), and will be in Kansas City. I'll post the details
        > nearer the date.

      • Hans Stragier
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 25, 2008
          I'll echo what Phil J. said, and wish you the best with the Fractal Machine
          and I look forward to hearing new works. Of course, it would also be great
          to play with the new Machine too, but I understand your situation.

          Good luck,
          Hans

          > Phil T. - good to hear from you! I am sure this download page will be
          > appreciated, as we still get questions from time to time re: where can
          > GingerBread be gotten.
          >
          > Good luck on the new "Fractal Machine" and new works. We will be
          > looking forward to hearing of progress on those fronts.
          >
          > Best of Luck in all things,
          >
          > Phil J.
          >

          > On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 06:08 +0000, v_e_n_h_a_r_i_s wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Just to say I'm still getting requests for Gingerbread files so I've
          > > made them available for download again here...
          > >
          > > http://omegaville.com/gingerbread
          > >
          > > There's a small Quick Start Tutorial there also for new users.
          > >
          > > I won't be releasing the sequel version "The Return" as XP Service
          > > Pack 2 stopped its Bar Lab working properly. And I've abandoned the
          > > idea of "Venharis" as even though I developed it using Direct X
          > > standards it seems to have compatibility issues with just about every
          > > different make of graphics card in the world.
          > >
          > > Still working on my third system Fractal Machine, and a new album
          > > Green Cathedral, and a 5.1 surround sound re-recorded version of
          > > my "best of". Not sure if "Machine" will be released officially as
          > > it would mean having to write help documentation and so on, but I may
          > > make it available as a Freeware system eventually.
          > >
          > > Sorry to be a bit of a fly-by-night in terms of this forum. I pop
          > > in, message, then disappear. I'm not being a primadonna - I have
          > > long term health issues - I have suffered with chronic clinical
          > > depression, anxiety, stress and exhaustion for close to a decade now
          > > and have been told I am unlikely to ever be cured. As a result I
          > > haven't been capable of working full time for some time and doubt I
          > > will again, and my creative output is sporadic as it interferes
          > > severely with my concentration.
          > >
          > > Not looking for sympathy or support - just explaining so that people
          > > realise that if I disappear I'm not being stand-offish or rude, I'll
          > > be back when I am capable.
          > >
          > > Hope everybody is having fun out there,
          > >
          > > Best wishes for now,
          > >
          > > Phil (Thompson).
          > >
          > > http://myspace.com/moontoad
          > >
          > > P.S. Re: my previous message re: a charity benefit dance show set to
          > > my music - it's NEXT December, not last one (mix up in
          > > communications), and will be in Kansas City. I'll post the details
          > > nearer the date.

        • jacky schreiber
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 26, 2008
            thanks Phil (T), Fractal machine sounds cool,

            in the mean time, this is sooo cool--->
            http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/03/24/robot-drum-mac
            hine-roams-samples-bangs-on-stuff/

            regards

            jacky

            I'll echo what Phil J. said, and wish you the best with the Fractal Machine
            and I look forward to hearing new works. Of course, it would also be great
            to play with the new Machine too, but I understand your situation.

            Good luck,
            Hans

            > Phil T. - good to hear from you! I am sure this download page will be
            > appreciated, as we still get questions from time to time re: where can
            > GingerBread be gotten.
            >
            > Good luck on the new "Fractal Machine" and new works. We will be
            > looking forward to hearing of progress on those fronts.
            >
            > Best of Luck in all things,
            >
            > Phil J.
            >

            > On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 06:08 +0000, v_e_n_h_a_r_i_s wrote:
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > Just to say I'm still getting requests for Gingerbread files so I've
            > > made them available for download again here...
            > >
            > > http://omegaville.com/gingerbr ead
            > >
            > > There's a small Quick Start Tutorial there also for new users.
            > >
            > > I won't be releasing the sequel version "The Return" as XP Service
            > > Pack 2 stopped its Bar Lab working properly. And I've abandoned the
            > > idea of "Venharis" as even though I developed it using Direct X
            > > standards it seems to have compatibility issues with just about every
            > > different make of graphics card in the world.
            > >
            > > Still working on my third system Fractal Machine, and a new album
            > > Green Cathedral, and a 5.1 surround sound re-recorded version of
            > > my "best of". Not sure if "Machine" will be released officially as
            > > it would mean having to write help documentation and so on, but I may
            > > make it available as a Freeware system eventually.
            > >
            > > Sorry to be a bit of a fly-by-night in terms of this forum. I pop
            > > in, message, then disappear. I'm not being a primadonna - I have
            > > long term health issues - I have suffered with chronic clinical
            > > depression, anxiety, stress and exhaustion for close to a decade now
            > > and have been told I am unlikely to ever be cured. As a result I
            > > haven't been capable of working full time for some time and doubt I
            > > will again, and my creative output is sporadic as it interferes
            > > severely with my concentration.
            > >
            > > Not looking for sympathy or support - just explaining so that people
            > > realise that if I disappear I'm not being stand-offish or rude, I'll
            > > be back when I am capable.
            > >
            > > Hope everybody is having fun out there,
            > >
            > > Best wishes for now,
            > >
            > > Phil (Thompson).
            > >
            > > http://myspace.com/moontoad
            & gt; >
            > > P.S. Re: my previous message re: a charity benefit dance show set to
            > > my music - it's NEXT December, not last one (mix up in
            > > communications), and will be in Kansas City. I'll post the details
            > > nearer the date.

          • v_e_n_h_a_r_i_s
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
              --- In cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Stragier"
              <stragier@...> wrote:

              > I'll echo what Phil J. said, and wish you the best with the Fractal
              Machine
              > and I look forward to hearing new works. Of course, it would also
              be great
              > to play with the new Machine too, but I understand your situation.
              >
              > Good luck,
              > Hans

              Thanks Hans.

              Just to say it's still ongoing. I probably will release a version of
              Fractal Machine eventually, but I think it will be written from
              scratch as a secondary project. The reason being that right now it's
              more of a "test harness" than a well designed "system", a cobbled
              together mess of prototype experimental bits and bobs that I dip in
              and out of. It's more like chipping away at a sculpture than writing
              Gingerbread or Veharis were, I had very strong ideas regarding them,
              the interface, etc. This time around it's more of a ground-up
              process so I'm not completely sure what the final thing will
              eventually look like (or sound like) myself.

              No ETA, I don't do deadlines any more for reasons you understand.

              Phil T.
              http://fractalmusician.com
            • Robert Walker
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 29, 2008
                Hi Phil ,

                I think you are missing Harlan's point about the Koch snowflake.

                He assumes we know what the koch snowflake is, and is pointing out that after you construct say five iterations of it, you end up with lots of line segments arranged in a fractal pattern. So he was saying, if you then rearrange those line segments in some other pattern, like the one he gave in his e-mail of several horizontal rows of line segments, the result might no longer be a fractal.

                Obviously he isn't saying that it can't be a fractal either, just that you need some other way of measuring to tell whether it is fractal or not. Just that it is derived in some way from a fractal by some transformation doesn't make it fractal.

                Which I think is a valid point. I'd go on and say that if it is derived in some way from a fractal and the result is musically interesting, it very probably is fractal in some way and you just need to find out how to analyse it to bring out its fractal nature, which may sometimes be hard to do. While if you derived something like those rows of horizontal lines - the musical equivalent say repeating single notes at a steady tempo - then you would just discard it as not musically interesting.

                My FTS program has a randomiser, nowadays it generally makes "interesting music" because I kept tweaking it until finally after a fair amount of work, it did - but in its earlier versions then it would every now and again make a tune that was uninteresting and totally non fractal, things like repeating notes. Yet it was using fractal methods to make those tunes, but with parameters that lead to trivial solutions which weren't fractal.

                I'd say those tunes, though fractally generated are definitely not fractals in any sense of the word. Other tunes I'd say are definitely fractal. But many others are very hard to classify, and I feel justified in calling them fractals because they are interesting, have a kind of similarity at least in the sense that you feel as you listen that there are architectural structures behind it at larger and larger scales, not just repetitive or randomised - and also derived from fractals. So in that way not unlike the transformed visual fractals or even the likes of the Mandelbrot set for that matter, close enough for a "family resemblance" as it were to other fractals..

                It could be interesting to have some way of analysing them to bring out that intution in some more precise way - some way to measure their "fractalness". But I think that might be very hard though you never know, if there might be some interesting new slant on it all which would shed a lot of clarity on the field.

                Also that it is hard to tell where the fractals end in music, much more so than in visual fractals because of the finite divisibility you usually have. Also since interesting composed music also has structures at larger and larger time scales, with a kind of fractal feel to it quite often. While painters don't generally paint fractally except for the like of trees and such like in their paintings - so there is a clearer distinction between fractal and non fracta paintings. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to find a way to bring out fractal structures in paintings too, also poetry and speeches).

                Robert

              • terriandralph
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 10, 2009
                  I have done a lot of searching on the internet to download a copy of Gingerbread but to no avail. I read somewhere that Phil Thompson has made the program freeware and is allowing the free distribution of the program. Does anyone here have a copy that they can send me?
                • gwisk55
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 8, 2009
                    Point your browser to http://omegaville.com/gingerbread/

                    I really enjoy the program. I'll find a melody that I like, save the coordinates, copy the cell to the next one over, & adjust the parameters to hear a duet playing.

                    One of my creations: http://www.4turns.us/circumfrence.mid