Wolfram Tones

  • Martin Lomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9 7:18 AM
      Hello Everyone,

      I just stumbled on this very interesting music generator:

      http://tones.wolfram.com/

      It uses the Web add-on of Mathematica.
      Too bad it's only for buying ringtones so far!

      Martin

    • Lauri Grohn
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9 10:44 AM
        At 17:18 9.11.2005, you wrote:
        >Hello Everyone,
        >
        >I just stumbled on this very interesting music generator:
        >
        >http://tones.wolfram.com/
        >
        >It uses the Web add-on of Mathematica.
        >Too bad it's only for buying ringtones so far!
        >
        >Martin

        Hmmmm.

        From: "Jim K" <kukulaj@...>
        Date: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:53 pm
        Subject: Re: WolframTones <http://profiles.yahoo.com/kukulaj>kukulaj

        --- In
        <http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/cnfractal_music/post?postID=ecK2kPqAQjPU64own8zAysg_-s58iKwuYwak03iPS77ACG-cxjqNWRLd7oYmVoz51sEsxHna6Cb23TEsFmumKSR5SPcnOjWH0Y8>cnfractal_music@yahoogroups.com,
        Lauri Grohn <lauri.grohn@k...>
        wrote:

        > This may interest you:

        <http://www.maa.org/editorial/mathgames/mathgames_10_03_05.html>http://www.maa.org/editorial/mathgames/mathgames_10_03_05.html

        This is loosely similar to the graph grammar approach I am using. I
        don't understand these WolframTones exactly, but from lookly briefly,
        some similarities and differences:

        Both WT and GG use an underlying graph or mesh, where neighboring
        vertices interact. Each vertex has a state that changes due to these
        interactions. The sound generated is a function of the states of the
        vertices determined by this dynamics.

        WT uses a one dimensional or linear mesh, a linear array of vertices.
        GG uses a more complex graph, where the vertices in the linear array
        are paired up, and the third neighbor of a vertex can be quite far
        away in the array.

        In WT, the time in which the dynamics unfolds is the same time in
        which the music unfolds. In GG, musical time is along the linear
        array. The dynamical time is unrelated to musical time. The dynamics
        takes the states of the vertices from purely uncorrelated random
        values, to random values with complex fractal correlations in musical
        time. The dynamics is set up to allow order to spontaneously emerge,
        like snowflakes spontaneously emerging from cloud vapor.

        WT uses deterministic dynamics; GG uses nondeterministic dynamics -
        states evolve according to probability distributions which are
        functions of the present state of the system.

        Maybe I should create some ringtone files from my GG output?

        Jim