Plz help on:Process-->Procedure-->WorkInstruction

  • Mandeep Rawal
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2007
      Dear All,

      Request for small favor please:

      Although am aware that high level generic business process --> procedure --> work instructions is generally the thumb rule, with some exceptions. However, am of the opinion that "LOW LEVEL Procedures & Functional work instructions" have quite a thin line of difference...

      Request to kindly advise on this - with example, if possible. Your prompt suggestions would be appreciated...Many Thanks, in anticipation!!!

      TRUE Rgds,
      Mandeep
    • Heather Oppenheimer
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2007
        Hi Mandeep,

        I agree with your opinion - in fact for some organizations, there is NO difference between the meanings of the terms "low level procedures" and "functional work instructions".  Other organizations have definitions that clearly discriminate between them.

        In fact, the terms "process", "procedure", "work instruction", "method of operations" (and others) are often defined differently from one organization to another.  That's perfectly ok.  What really matters is making sure that everyone in your organization has a consistent understanding of whatever terminology is used within the organization.

        You'll notice in the CMMI model glossary that the definition of "process" begins - "In the CMMI Product Suite..."  Definitions that start with that phrase (e.g. "appraisal", "discipline", "assessment", "development", and a few others) indicate that CMMI is using the term in a special way - and that there are probably other definitions in some other contexts.  "Procedure" and "Work Instructions" don't even show up in the glossary.

        What do others think?

        Heather Oppenheimer

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
          Trying to distinguish between Procedures and Work Instructions look to me
          to indicate a ISO9001 context, rather than CMMI.

          What problem has prompted you to ask this question?

          Regards,
          Bruce

          > 1a. Plz help on:Process-->Procedure-->WorkInstruction
          > Posted by: "Mandeep Rawal" rawalms@... mandeepsrawal
          > Date: Sun Sep 2, 2007 3:09 pm ((PDT))
          >
          > Dear All,
          >
          > Request for small favor please:
          >
          > Although am aware that high level generic business process --> procedure
          > --> work instructions is generally the thumb rule, with some exceptions.
          > However, am of the opinion that "LOW LEVEL Procedures & Functional work
          > instructions" have quite a thin line of difference...
          >
          > Request to kindly advise on this - with example, if possible. Your prompt
          > suggestions would be appreciated...Many Thanks, in anticipation!!!
          >
          > TRUE Rgds,
          > Mandeep
        • Orhan KALAYCI
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
            Hello Mandeep, how are you?

            Before discussing process->procedure->work instructions I would like to highlight the importance of identifying correct/real processes.

            Mistakenly, Process Areas of CMMI and subprocesses of the real process are usually confused with the real processes.  I believe a real process is a set of tasks supported with skilled people, required technology and correct environment and deliver "a real value" to the end user outside of project or organization.

            I have taken the below paragraph to support my view from CMMI v1.2 (pdf page 365)
            "Subprocesses are defined components of a larger defined process. For
            example, a typical organization's development process may be defined
            in terms of subprocesses such as requirements development, design,
            build, test, and peer review. The subprocesses themselves may be
            further decomposed as necessary into other subprocesses and process
            elements."

            I think identifying real processes (before improving them) is an important success factor for process improvement.

            Some examples for processes ( real processes with business focus)
            From Texas Instrument breaks its 4 billion semiconductor business into six core processes:
            1.  Strategy Development
            2.  Product Development
            3.  Customer design and support
            4.  Manufacturing capability development
            5.  Customer communication
            6.  Order fulfilment

            A large financial software company describes its four core processes as:
            1.  Provide good products at good prices
            2.  Acquire customers and maintain good relations with them
            3.  Make it easy to buy from us
            4.  Provide excellent services and support after the sale

            Source:  The Six Sigma Handbook, Thomas Pyzdek, 2003 McGraw Hill, ISBN 0-07-141015-5

            May the peace be upon you,
            Orhan

            --
            Orhan KALAYCI
            Software Engineering Process Management (SEPM) Program

            NOTE:  The information or views represented in this posting do not
            necessarily reflect those of the SEI or Carnegie Mellon University.