Model Office and Design Review Board

  • Julian Hessels
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 6:40 AM
      Dear all,

      I am currently involved in a quality management within a development
      division. I was advised to implement two things:

      1) Start a Model Office.
      2) Start a Design Review Board

      I have two questions about this:

      1) Who has experience with implementing these two concepts and could
      provide me with some help on this.
      2) Where does this fit in within CMMI?

      I hope you can help me with some initial advise.

      Thanks and Regards, Julian
    • Broadsword - CMMI Lead Appraiser
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2 7:23 AM
        Julian

        "Model Office" is not a term that is used in the CMMI but I've seen it
        often referred to as a "Program Office" or "Integration Office" in the
        past. The purpose of this organization is to manage the "meta" process
        that defines and manages all of the standard processes, tools, templates
        across the organization as well as the high-level integration of all
        development activities across IT and/or engineering. Some manage
        measurement as well. This is to ensure smooth integration between
        projects/programs, provide an interface for the customer, and provide
        appropriate training for all stakeholders.

        These types of activities are defined in the CMMI across several process
        areas and practices including Integrated Project Management, Project
        Planning, Project Monitoring and Control, OPD and potentialy OT, PPQA,
        and M&A (as well as potentially several Generic Practices including
        GP2.8, GP2.7, GP210). They would play a strong role in the higher
        maturity process areas OPP and OID.

        A Design Review Board is a great idea and will bring great results if
        implemented appropriately. The CMMI addresses these activities in
        Verification, TS (potentially), probably CM, and several GPs.

        I say "potentially" and "probably" in some examples because it would
        depend on how you implemented the processes.

        If you'd like to email me to discuss further feel free. This is
        something we specialize in within the context of the CMMI.

        Best Regards,

        Jeff Dalton
        SCAMPI Lead Appraiser
        CMMI Instructor