RE: [CMMi Process Improvement] Re: How to approch for a CMM/CMMI assessment?

  • Chau K. Phung
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      Frances Anderson,
      I read your message and I think you have what we need. I visited your
      csm web site already.
      But I don't sure:
      1. In last message, "...to perform assessments, evaluations, and
      appraisals"- What different from "assessments, evaluations"and
      "appraisals"?
      2. On http://csm.com/pi/cmmcmmioverview.php
      <http://csm.com/pi/cmmcmmioverview.php> , "A maturity level of 1 to 5
      indicates the overall capability of an organization for staged
      representations only"- Why for staged representations only?
      3. And "In continuous representations, a capability level of 0 to 5 is
      determined for each selected process area."- why have 6?
      Thank you very much,
      Back, we are just established SQA of PSD company.
      <http://www.psdus.com/> Please visit www.psdus.com.
      We have been learned CMMI 2 days ago.
      My company have no CMM or else. We want to get CMM2/3/4 in 2 years
      later. How beginning? Reading all about CMMI? Please help me.
      Regards,
      Chau Phung.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
        Chau Phung,

        You have asked some very good questions and I am happy to respond:

        1. In the English language, assessments, evaluations, and
        appraisals have the same meaning. The SEI has given them an added
        meaning. They use the term "appraisals" to mean reviews that
        are done against the CMMI. The SW-CMM has two methods for reviewing
        an organization. They are CBA-IPI (Capability Maturity Model-Based
        Appraisal for Internal Process Improvement) and SCE (Software
        Capability Evaluation). The major difference between doing an
        assessment with the CBA-IPI process and doing an evaluation with the
        SCE process is the purpose of the review. SCE evaluations are most
        often used in acquisition or project monitoring to determine the
        maturity of a supplier or potential supplier. CBA-IPI assessments
        are most often performed internal to the organization and focus on
        identifying strengths and weaknesses as well as encouraging an
        organization's commitment to process improvement.

        2. In the staged representation of the CMMI, an organization is
        rated at one of the 5 maturity levels. In the continuous
        representation, each process area that is being evaluated is rated
        at one of the 6 Capability Levels. Maturity Levels apply only in
        the staged representation. Capability Levels apply only in the
        continuous representation.

        3. The continuous representation of the CMMI has 6 capability
        levels because the authors wanted to distinguish between processes
        that perform all of the base practices and those that do not.
        Capability Level 0 (Incomplete) is assigned to a process area if it
        is determined that there is at least one base practice that is not
        performed. Capability Level 1 (Performed) is only assigned if all
        of the process area's base practices are performed. This
        contrasts with the staged representation, where Maturity Level 1
        (Initial) is the default assignment if an organization does not
        achieve a Maturity Level 2 rating.

        Congratulations on starting your SQA group! If you are starting out
        by investigating CMM or CMMI and reading this news group, you have
        made a good start. There are some good books and articles written
        about CMM and CMMI, however, the subject is complex and the models
        are often confusing to the beginner. I suggest beginning with our
        course, "CMMI Executive Overview"
        (http://csm.com/pi/cmmiexecutiveoverview.html). I think this is the
        best place to start because CMMI is the successor to the SW-CMM and
        most organizations today are switching from the SW-CMM to CMMI. It
        is uncertain what the value of a SW-CMM rating will be two years
        from now. Also, in order to sign up for the "Introduction to
        CMMI" course, you must select between the staged and the
        continuous representations. Although beginning organizations
        often select the staged representation, the overview course will
        include helping you decide which representation is best for
        achieving your organization's particular goals.

        I hope you find this explanation helpful,

        Frances
        fanderson@...
        www.csm.com

        --- In cmmi_process_improvement@yahoogroups.com, "Chau K. Phung"