RE: [CMMi Process Improvement] CMMI Technical Solution PA

  • Jeff Dalton
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2007

      I would approach this slightly differently.  You might consider both places as an opportunity to evaluate alternatives.

      As a software engineer, I would want to consider alternative software architecture’s before I considered alternative approaches to building the application.  Is this J2EE, COM+, SOAP, or some asynchronous messaging architecture?  Each choice dictates a second level of alternatives.  Since the architecture is the foundation, and often dictates the way an application is developed, I would start there.  This is all too often overlooked and the architecture is an afterthought – causing all kinds of problems when it comes time to maintain, extend, or modify the application in the future.

      In terms of the CMMI, both are good candidates to consider for alternatives.  Some alternative examples in software engineering may include server applets vs. browser, fat vs thin-client, OO or procedural etc. etc. etc.  In a world where COBOL still dominates when lines of active code are counted, anything is possible. J

      Regards,

      Jeff

      Jeff Dalton

      CMMI Lead Appraiser and CMMI Instructor

      Broadsword

      248-341-3367 (o)

      248-709-4775 (c)

      jeff@...

      visit our web site at http://www.broadswordsolutions.com

      Visit our "Ask the CMMI Appraiser" Blog at http://askTheCMMIAppraiser.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2007
        Before beginning the devopment of the application you need to identify the possible solutions AND identify the criteria by which they will be evaluated by.  The solution needs to be clearly identified as the chosen solution based on the evaluation performed.

        --
        "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
                                                        Dawn Dumon
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2007
          Hi Essan,

          Yes you are coorect that architecture is itself a solution but how you make sure that it is a best solution.

          First you should come up with one architecture and use this architecture as a reference and try to find out other alternatives so taht it would be easy for you to make comparison and to do further analysis. Let us consider an example of daily life. You go to electronic shop to buy a television. Then how you judge which is the best television for you. Just by making comparison by taking first television as the reference.

          Hope this will help you.

          Thanks and Regards,
          Saurabh Gupta

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
            Hi Essam,

            This looks to me as a "chicken and egg problem" as you
            put, this way.
            As you need to start from somewhere, I guess it would
            be easier to start with a draft architecture. Then
            improving or adopting the architecture while seeking
            for possible alteranative solutions. This probably the
            path to I would follow...

            My few cents.

            Haluk Tekbulut
            http://www.engcons.net

            --- Mohammed Essam <m.essam@...> wrote:

            > Thank you for help,
            >

            > But I thought that the architecture itself is a
            > solution, is it correct? If
            > not, what is the solution refering to? Can you give
            > me some examples for
            > alternative solutions from the software engineering
            > prespective?
            >

            > Thanks
            >

            > _____

            http://new.mail.yahoo.com
          • Adnan Alavi
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007

              The following e-mail (from Jeff Dalton) is very informative as far as designing the application/solution is concerned. My Software Engineering point of view,  I think that that while developing solution’s architecture it’s a good practice to think about an alternate solution. This doesn’t mean that one has to devise another parallel solution but it means that one should keep the options open like re-using any product instead of developing a new product, or to have a make or buy decision. In terms of CMMI as a proof one should perform DAR.

              Regards
              Adnan Alavi

              jeff@broadswordsolu tions.com