Re: [CMMi Process Improvement] Diff b/w Error and Defect

  • Andre Heijstek
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2006
      Re: [CMMi Process Improvement] Diff b/w Error and Defect Definitions I know are:

      Failure: observed erroneous behaviour, e.g. system crashes
      Fault: underlying cause in the product, e.g. buffer overflow
      Error: the reason for the fault, e.g. lack of C++ training or lack of time to do a proper job.

      Andre.

      On 30-06-2006 15:57, "Muhammad Ali Inayat" <abacmmi@...> wrote:

      Dear Jain :

      Error

      Something caugth by your testing team.

      Defect

      Something caught by the customer and/or something caugth in Pilot installation / Test Run on customer site.

      Such definations are Highly Local to your context (i.e Project ,Company etc)

      Hope that helps

      Muhammad Ali Inayat

      Pakistan,Lahore.

      ashish jain <ashujain81@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      Please tell me the difference between an "Error" and "Defect".

      Thanks in Anticipation.

      Cheers

      Ashish Jain

      Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman1/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com>  to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

      --
      André Heijstek
      Improvement Focus
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2006

        Hello friends, Ashish, Anitha

        Good Morning!!

        My understanding of the error/defect goes something like this:

        If we unearth any non conformance in a particular phase, then it’s an “Error”. For ex: Requirements review would yield 20 errors.  Whereas if we unearth any non conformance in subsequent phases and attribute that non conformance to the previous phase, then its called “Defect”. For Ex: if we find a defect in design phase and it’s attributable to the requirements phase, then that’s a defect. In short if the error percolates to the next phase and is unearthed in the next phase, then that becomes a defect.

        Please correct me if my understanding is wrong…..

        Have a Great Day!!

        Thanks & Best Regards,

        Mahal Sridhar

        SEPG,

        Nous Infosystems Pvt. Ltd.

        Koramangala,

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2006

          I would use a much simpler definition.  If you had to change/correct it then it was a defect.  There are reviews that occur within a phase that would cause such a correction to take place.

          Michael J Hillelsohn

[...]

        • Anitha Pai
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2006
            Hi Friends,

            My understanding is that an error is something that may or may not cause a fault. Eg: Spelling error.
            But if that spelling was to be used to write a code syntax then it would result in defect. And result in a Fault/failure.
            What do you say friends?
            Please correct me if I am wrong.

            Regards,
            Anitha