RE: [CMMi Process Improvement] Impact of the CMMI in the project management

  • Buglione Luigi
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      Bruno,

      as you know, SPI models such as CMMI propose a list of best practices organized by maturity levels (in the staged versions of such models) and therefore suggesting the priority in implementing processes. First suggestions is to retrieve the higher number of experience reports from the SEI and SEIR website (for instance this one (http://www.sei.cmu.edu/pub/documents/03.reports/pdf/03sr009-revised.pdf), where in section 4 you can find figures about costs, schedule, quality, customer satisfaction and ROI from 5 major companies implementing CMMI, stating also the main data about the SPI project and its schedule. Again, you should find a lot of useful information from organizations' experience from main CMMI events proceedings/slides, such as from the SEI (http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi/adoption/cmmi-events.html reports also the links to the first three NDIA conferences), STSC (in the SSTC annual conference there is always a track on CMMI: eg. http://www.stc-online.org/stc2003proceedings/SearchHTML.cfm) and ESEPG.

      About your question (after implementing CMMI how many projects will I able to manage introducing those practices?), it depends on the single, unique organization under analysis, the people working there, their ability to "live" in projects those practices, the amount of training received in the implementation phase (in particular about estimation - in PP and PMC for tracking - using a projects' data repository and introducing - if not present - a statistical usage (QPM) of those data (that should be established and distributed at the organizational level - OPD/OPF), supporting (and not excluding) the experience of project managers. But you should make analogous considerations for the other Project Management PAs. So, some info could be derived from the half-year SEMA report on CMMI (the latest one: http://www.sei.cmu.edu/sema/pdf/CMMI/2004aug.pdf) that in this moment is not so complete as the Sw-CMM one in terms of figures, but that will grow during next times (for instance, the "Time to Move Up" slide, as in http://www.sei.cmu.edu/sema/pdf/CMMI/2004aug.pdf on slide 25).

      Hoping this info could be helpful,

      Best regards,
      Luigi Buglione
      http://www.geocities.com/lbu_measure