Estimation methodology in a product environment - query.

  • Gajanana Mishra
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
      Hi friends,
      We are a product company engaged in financial services - development, implementation and support. I am part of the product development team. I would appreciate your opinions on product development standards - in the areas of project plan generation, estimation, project management and release management.
      A. Current process : There are 6 teams of 3-4 people each, led by a project manager. Each team handles a specific set of modules under the overall product. The project manager discusses with the senior management and finalises the next release date for the core product. The project manager then prepares a project plan with the release date in mind. The team leaders discuss the scope and prepare estimates for the program units affected for the modules they handle based on rule-of-thumb.
      Notes :
      1. The estimates provided by the team leaders need not necessarily affect the project plan.
      2. The project plan is based on duration (Microsoft Project Plan). Resources are not loaded into the project plan.
      3. Weekends are used as buffers.

      B. Generic changes : In case generic changes are involved in the product, the project manager discusses with a technical person, prepares the approach and rolls out the design. The estimates for this are prepared either by the project manager or by the individual teams. Using this design, the technical member prepares scripts to be executed on all program units to enhance the product overall. The project manager distributes the scripts, along with a write-up to the individual teams, which then proceeds to execute the scripts.
      Notes :
      1. Scripts prepared for generic changes are reviewed by doing a code-walkthrough or by allowing the individual teams participate in the script testing process.
      2. Rollout of approach / design of a script is mostly through consensus, though not always.
      3. Rework has been quite high on the generic changes because the script was found to have bugs.

      Looking forward to your inputs.
      Thanks and Regards,

      Gajanana Mishra

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • sureshkumarks2003
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2004
        Hi friends,

        Not a ifpug member, for CPM 4.2 manual,is it available in any process
        groups database.