RE: [CMMi Process Improvement] Gage R&R

  • Balamurali L.
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 2013

      Hi,

      Measurement system analysis (MSA) is an experimental and mathematical method of determining how much the variation within the measurement process contributes to overall process variability. A company needs to effectively evaluate its measurement systems. The type of evaluation process depends on the type of data collected.  The measurement system analysis can be generated to deal with discrete or continuous data.

      ·         For continuous data, process output data is measured and re-measured to compare measurement variation to overall process variation. Gage R&R’ shall be performed for analysing the measurement system variation in the continuous data.

      ·         Attribute Agreement Analysis is a type of Measurement Systems Analysis used when the characteristic is an attribute or discrete data. Attribute agreement assesses the results of decision making by human beings.

      Applying MSA techniques in software scenario mainly deals with Attribute agreement analysis. Attribute agreement analysis (AAA) produces some key statistics that tell us whether the results are due to random chance or if our judgment appears to be better (or worse) than random chance. Attribute Agreement Analysis is used to assess the agreement between the ratings made by appraisers and the known standards. For doing Attribute agreement analysis, we can use Minitab or some other excel addins . Minitab displays the percent for absolute agreement between each appraiser and the standard and the percent of absolute agreement between all appraisers and the standard. Some statistical programs offer an analysis approach for an attribute agreement analysis. Kappa and Kendall’s correlation statistics are used to evaluate the agreement. Kappa’s statistics is used for nominal data.  The measure used for extent of attribute agreement is Kohen’s Kappa value. This can range from –1 to +1. +1 Shows perfect agreement while as 0 shows that agreement is by chance. Kappa of <1 means agreement is less than chance. AIAG recommends Kappa>0.75 for good system and <0.4 as poor system. Kappa’s statistics shall be determined for Binary and Nominal Data. Kendall's Coefficient of Concordance shall be determined if the data is ordinal. Kendall’s correlation is used when there is ordering of the attribute data categories for acceptable values of MSA results, it has to be greater than 80%. We have tried out attribute agreement analysis to evaluate the variation in measurement like review/testing defect classification, Non conformances mapping wrt Process Areas etc. When the results were not acceptable, corrective action also triggered.

      With Regards,

      Balamurali

      NeST Logo-Oct06 Group Manager SQA

      Network Systems & Technologies (P) Ltd.
      Periyar |Technopark Campus |Thiruvananthapuram  695 581 |India
      Cell 91.98471 80100|
      (Work 91.471.3068311 |Fax  91.471.270.0442

      balamurali.l@... |http:\\www.nestsoftware.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 25, 2013

        Bala,

        You have hit the point on target!. Very good information shared with all of us. thanks.

        thanks

        Prashant - CSQA, ITIL

        AM, CIO India CI Team (Delivery Excellence Team)

        “Doing your best is not good enough. You have to know what to do. Then do your best” - W. Edward Deming

[...]

        ._,___

[...]

      • Prashant Kanjilal
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 27, 2013

          Dear Friends

          Please refer to my initial mail and subsequent mails by practitioners, on the subject.

          I am thankful to you all for providing different but correct inputs.

          However, I am looking for something else.

          The basic premise of MSA is to minimize measurement errors, since, whenever we measure something we make errors. It happens due to factors like tool’s variations, individual’s skill/experience levels, environmental condition etc. As a result, the concepts of accuracy, precision, repeatability, reproducibility, least count etc. have emerged. So, in order to minimize this error, calibration of tool is done, environmental conditions are controlled and measurements are done by more than one individual, periodically. In the manufacturing scenario, practicing above activities are somewhat easier because measurements are direct (in most of the cases) and objects measured are not changing in specifications often.

          In software scenario, the case is somewhat different because 1) each development object is unique in size, functionality and complexity, 2) measures are often derived and not direct, 3) measurements mostly, are in the form of estimations/judgments .

          In view of above, let us consider the following examples of metrics

          For each development object/enhancements   à

          Case1   Effort Variance: ((Actual Effort – Planned Effort)/Planned Effort)*100

          1) Planned effort (Person Hr.) is determined by either expert judgment or a tool.

          2) Actual effort is measured either by measuring, time to complete the task ,manually or by tool.

          Possibility of Error in this case à A) Error in estimation of software objects,  B) Error in measurement of time

          Question:

          1) How practically both activities could be measured (in time) to understand  Repeatability(same object measured more than once by the same operator) and Reproducibility (same object measured by more than one operator) in the process ?

          2) How variability of software tool could be checked, if used?

          Case 2 Defect Containment Effectiveness (Design Phase): (No. of defects detected and fixed in Design phase) / ((No. of defects attributed to Design) + (No. of Defects injected into design phase)) * 100

          Possibility of Error in this case à A) Error in finding out defects in a particular phase, B) Error in attribution of error to a particular phase C) Error in finding out defects injected in a particular phase.

          Defects are found out and corrected mainly due to knowledge, skill and process ability of practitioners. And practitioners do make mistakes, which is why, effectiveness is often less than 100%

          Question:

          1) How practically Repeatability and Reproducibility could be brought in,  in the above process.

          2) How variability of software tool could be checked if used?

          I have taken two examples to bring out real issues. The formula used could be different in your organization. Also, one can consider many more metrics which could be used to get “insight” into the process and its capability and for all gage R&R can be institutionalized.

          Request you to kindly suggest as to how “practically”  one can practice Gage R&R in above mentioned scenarios (and additional scenario, if possible)

          ·         in SDLC activities such as  reviews, coding, code walk through, testing etc.

          ·         in tools and

          ·         limitations of applicability if any

          Thanks & Regards

          Prashant K

          91-9676855151

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2013