New to CMMI!

  • RAJEEV GUPTA
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2013

      My organization is planning  for CMMI level 3.  This responsibility is given to me .

      I am new to this ...Please advise how to pursue ?

      Regards
      Rajeev
    • Erich Meier
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2013
        Rajeev,

        You should take the chance and not only aim for the CMMI level, but for real improvement. If your teams do a good job with the right processes in place that fulfill the business goals, you are almost automatically fulfilling level 3 as a side effect.

        So I would advise to do the following:
        - Find a CMMI consultant with a performance and business improvement focus. You can find a few on this mailing list.
        - Determine which processes are most critical to your business and start improving those with the CMMI goals and practices as a guidance. First things first.
        - Use the right tools to achieve sustained improvement. Process management tools like our "Stages" help in both sustaining improvements and automating compliance proofs.

        Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

        Best Regards,
        Erich

        Am 01.05.2013 um 14:38 schrieb "RAJEEV GUPTA" <rajmc@...>:

        My organization is planning  for CMMI level 3.  This responsibility is given to me .

        I am new to this ...Please advise how to pursue ?

        Regards
        Rajeev

      • Neil Potter
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2013
          Hi Rajeev,

          Here are some items to read to get started

          Short article: Using goals and problems to drive improvement: http://www.processgroup.com/pgpostfeb11.pdf

          Short book: Making Process improvement Work: http://www.processgroup.com/book.html

          Implementing an Improvement Program article
          http://www.processgroup.com/pgpostmar08.pdf

          Using Checklists to Define Best Practices and Improve Performance
          http://www.processgroup.com/monthlytidbits.html#tidbit8
          http://www.processgroup.com/monthlytidbits.html#tidbit11

          Please feel free to email/call with questions.

          Thanks and regards, Neil Potter
          Cell/text: 972 418 9541
          Fax: 866-526-4645
          neil@...
          http://www.processgroup.com

          On May 1, 2013, at 5:49 AM, RAJEEV GUPTA <rajmc@...> wrote:

          > My organization is planning for CMMI level 3. This responsibility is given to me .
          >
          > I am new to this ...Please advise how to pursue ?
          >
          > Regards
          > Rajeev

        • EDWARD F WELLER III
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2013
            Rajeev

            You are in a world of hurt! If you are new to the CMMI world and really do not have any idea what this mans, I would start at the CMMI Institute website and read every page out there - at this point you will be overwhelmed with data. Next step is to turn this into information that is useful.  Then find books that talk about setting organization goals and approaches to achieving levels. Ask your management to buy these books for you (if they won't spend the money, you are in a real tight situation for obvious reasons). I like Neil Potter/Mary Sakry's book "Making Process Improvement Work". Actually, I would have your management buy this book for all managers in the organization.

            Then talk to people who have done this before that are willing to recommend a capable consultant, whether a Lead Appraiser or not (note since your goal, for an unstated reason, is to achieve CMMI L3, a Lead Appraiser is more likely to understand what will be needed. You need to understand why your organization suddenly decided L3 was important to them. Hopefully every person in the organization knows the reasons and supports the goal, not just conforming because the top management said it is a goal)

            Find a good Introduction to CMMI certified instructor - one who understands business imperatives as well as the CMMI (again, references are needed to be sure you do not get a rote instruction on the structure of the model). When you hold the class, make EVERY manager including the person who set the L3 goal attend the class(es) - more than one may be needed depending on the size of the org as 25 is the normal upper limit for class size. Why every manager including top management - when this happens there is an understanding of what the task is, and if management is unwilling to spend the time to learn what they need to do, then you are again in a tight spot.

            After you have done this, come back with additional questions - I am sure you will have them, and this time with a beginning of an idea of what the task will involve

            Good luck

            Ed