Re: [CMMi Process Improvement] Re: Sponsor Appraisal

  • Neil Potter
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 31, 2013
      Hmm - remember back 25 years ago when we were trying to "get buyin" for improvement. That is a good reason to interview the sponsor. He/she becomes part of the appraisal process

      so i do interview the sponsor IF the sponsor is involved in gp2.10, ma1.1 and opf1.1 (maybe pmc)

      I ask them to suggest also 1 strength and 1 area to improve

      They get the prelim findings like every one else (so they are not surprised by any result/finding)

      They are sucked in and involved.

      I do like to see that they do not just get project  and process status reports (gp2.10) but they seem to understand and be involved in managing the organization. The affirmations affirm this!

      Its not just about getting information

      I have been appraising for 25 years, and almost always interview the sponsor!

      neither more right or wrong, just different

      Neil

      On Mar 31, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Henry Schneider | PPQC <henry@...> wrote:

      Hi Rama,

      I am sorry to disagree with you, but the sponsor does not need to be interviewed as he or she is not directly responsible for performing any of the practices in the CMMI.  The purpose of the interviews is to speak directly with the people who perform the organization's documented practices.  The appraisal sponsor may be indirectly participating in performing one or two of the OPF practices and GP 2.10 for all Process Areas, but that is not a sufficient reason to interview the sponsor.

      The points you raised below as justification for an interview are all addressed by the Lead Appraiser when planning the appraisal, so there is no need for an interview.  No new information will be received.  And any information received from the appraisal sponsor normally has no bearing in the resulting Maturity Level.

      I have been leading appraisals for over 15 years and I have never interviewed the appraisal sponsor.

      With Kind Regards,
      Henry Schneider

      Henry Schneider                                               CMMI Institute-Certified SCAMPI Lead Appraiser
      President/Senior Principal Consultant
      CMMI Institute-Certified High Maturity Lead Appraiser
      Mobile:  832-628-2486
      CMMI Institute-Certified Intro to CMMI Instructor
      Office:  512-614-0840
      Email:  henry@...
      Process and Product Quality Consulting    http://www.ppqc.net
      PPQC Blog                                                       http://PPQC.blogspot.com

      Process and Product Quality Consulting      Facilitating your process journey ...

      From: Rama Lakshman <r1a2m3a4lakshman@...>
      Date: Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:02 AM
      To: <cmmi_process_improvement@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [CMMi Process Improvement] Re: Sponsor Appraisal

      Hi all,

      I concur with the our friends.

      Here are a few thoughts worth our look.

      • I felt Sponsor being the one who sponsors the CMMI or other quality initiative has some vision and set objectives and goals for the initiative or the project.
      • Mostly the sponsor themselves might have obtained permission for the project explaining the rationale to higher ups like board ...
      • Everything needs to be justified first to the sponsor and through him to the management ( even to board and upwards).
      • To assure ourselves that the initiative is in line with the vision and objectives and the degree of achievement of the objectives and goals we need to understand them clearly from the sponsor.

      This calls for the interview with the sponsor to be held.

      Also through out the journey the sponsor would be closely monitoring the progress and documenting and/or  reporting the same to higher ups.

      The interview let us see the degree of meeting objectives and goals and the improvements from the sponsor's perspective.

      All of them can  be basis for our consolidation of the appraisal documents.

      Warm Regards
      Rama Lakshman

    • Santhosh Jayakumar
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2013
        Hello Ram,

        I have had the opportunity to participate in few of the assessments.

        The Lead Appraiser has a meeting (in private) prior to kick off of the appraisal. The meeting is to ensure client confidentiality is maintained, existence of commitment to process improvement journey, the appraisal be used as an improvement tool and not to penalize any person.

        The LA presents the final findings to the sponsor with other members involved during the appraisal.

        Following the final findings presentation, there is another discussion between LA & Sponsor to finally wrap up the session, propose next steps on the process improvement journey.

        As such we have not interviewed the sponsor.

        I am happy to hear other experiences as well.

        Regards,
        Santhosh

[...]

      • Henry Schneider | PPQC

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1, 2013
          I agree with Neil.

          So many on this thread seem to be focused on the minimum requirements to complete an appraisal.  The CMMI is about organizational performance improvement, not passing appraisals, and the sponsor's intent, level of interest, commitment, perception, and attitude all contribute the set of data a competent appraiser needs to give them good, solid advice on improving performance.

          We might assign ratings as part of what we do, but are real focus is on improvement, is it not?

          Interview the sponsor?  ABSOLUTELY.

          Jeff Dalton, President
          Broadsword

          248.341.3367 - Office
          248.709.4775 - Cell
          ______________________________

          Certified SCAMPI Lead Appraiser
          Certified CMMI Instructor
          Certified Scrum Master
          Chairman, SEI Partner Advisory Board

          Follow me on Twitter @CMMIAppraiser

        • Neil Potter
          Message 5 of 21 , Apr 1, 2013
            i agree with Jeff! well stated

            Thanks and regards, Neil Potter
            Cell/text: 972 418 9541
            Fax: 866-526-4645
            neil@...
            http://www.processgroup.com

            Message 6 of 21 , Apr 2, 2013
              Well said Jeff! The bane of the industry is its focus on what you stated in the first sentence of your email.
              Best wishes for your success

              Murali Chemuturi
              www.chemuturi.com
              91-40-27220771
              91-0-98850-19461
              USA-347-394-3138
              Author of books - Software Estimation Best Practices, Tools and Techniques, Mastering software project management, and
              Mastering Software Quality Assurance Best Practices Tools and Techniques published by J.Ross Publishing Fl, USA, and Requirements Engineering and Management published by Springer Verlag

              From: Rama Lakshman <mailto:r1a 2m3a4lakshman@...>
              Date: Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:02 AM
              To: <cmmi_process_improvement@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

              jeff@...
              248.341.3367 - Office
              248.709.4775 - Cell
              ______________________________

              Visit my blog at www.AskTheCMMIAppraiser.com

              Follow me on Twitter @CMMIAppraiser

              www.broadswordsolutions.com

> [...]

              >> Mostly the sponsor themselves might have obtained permission for the project explaining the rationale to higher ups like board ...
              >> Everything needs to be justified first to the sponsor and through him to the management ( even to board and upwards).
              >> To assure ourselves that the initiative is in line with the vision and objectives and the degree of achievement of the objectives and goals we need to understand them clearly from the sponsor.
              >>
              >> This calls for the interview with the sponsor to be held.
              >>
              >> Also through out the journey the sponsor would be closely monitoring the progress and documenting and/or  reporting the same to higher ups.
              >>
              >> The interview let us see the degree of meeting objectives and goals and the improvements from the sponsor's perspective.
              >>

              >> All of them can  be basis for our consolidation of the appraisal documents.

            • Henry Schneider | PPQC

                Message 8 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013

                  Interview sponsor is an optional activity conducted at the discretion of the appraisal sponsor during the concluding phase of SCAMPI model , which is also called “Executive Session”. This session “allows the appraisal sponsor to discuss any of the findings with the appraisal leader, confirms the appraisal sponsor’s understanding of the issues, and provides an opportunity for appraisal sponsor to provide guidance on any follow-on activities.” [extract from ATM training PPT, SATT 0911 Module J, page 19] The Executive Session is a tailoring option in the Appraisal Plan template for SCAMPI v1.3 that is provided by SEI.

                  However, from collecting affirmation standpoint, sponsor may or may not need to be interviewed, depending on what role the sponsor plays in the projects and during process improvement at organizational level.

                  “You’ve got to stand for something or you’ll fall for anything”. Hope we all agree on the model part first, then starts from there.

                  Sam Gao

                  CMMI Institute-Certified SCAMPI A Lead Appraiser for CMMI-DEV, CMMI-SVC and CMMI-ACQ

                  Message 9 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                    Not sure what all the fuss is about.

                    We as Lead Appraisers, in conjunction with the Sponsor and Appraisal Team and in accordance with the Data Collection Plan and our current data needs, can interview pretty much anyone we please. The caveat is they must be able to contribute relevant and significant information, and speak in first person; e.g. when I was fulfilling Role A on Project B I followed Process C and Produced Artifact D, etc.

                    If it's the sponsor, so be it, if not, then that's OK too.

                    Just my two cents.

                    David Greer
                    Certified High Maturity Lead Appraiser and Instructor
                    (510) 717-9655
                    dagreer@...
                    http://www.assess-it.com

                    --- In cmmi_process_improvement@yahoogroups.com, Sam Gao <sgao2000@...> wrote:

                    > Interview sponsor is an optional activity conducted at the discretion of the
                    > appraisal sponsor during the concluding phase of SCAMPI model , which is
                    > also called "Executive Session". This session "allows the appraisal sponsor
                    > to discuss any of the findings with the appraisal leader, confirms the
                    > appraisal sponsor's understanding of the issues, and provides an opportunity
                    > for appraisal sponsor to provide guidance on any follow-on activities."
                    > [extract from ATM training PPT, SATT 0911 Module J, page 19] The Executive
                    > Session is a tailoring option in the Appraisal Plan template for SCAMPI v1.3
                    > that is provided by SEI.
                    >

                    > However, from collecting affirmation standpoint, sponsor may or may not need
                    > to be interviewed, depending on what role the sponsor plays in the projects
                    > and during process improvement at organizational level.
                    >

                    > "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything". Hope we all
                    > agree on the model part first, then starts from there.
                    >

                    > Sam Gao
                    >
                    > CMMI Institute-Certified SCAMPI A Lead Appraiser for CMMI-DEV, CMMI-SVC and
                    > CMMI-ACQ

                  • cyber_rajesh_naik
                    Message 10 of 21 , Apr 5, 2013
                      Hi Folks,

                      I have been meeting the sponsor in the appraisal planning process and the delivery of the final findings.

                      Typically, I do not meet the sponsor during the on-site period for affirmation. (However, I do not avoid the sponsor if I accidentally bump into him/ her in the corridor).

                      For a very small OU (the size was 40-60 people), I have scheduled affirmation interviews with the sponsor, as he/she was also "higher level management" in the context of GP 2.10 also the direction setter for OPF, OID/OPM (Ever since SCAMPI v1.2 and now 1.3, I have not appraised any small OU).

                      Rajesh

                    • Joachim Bauchrowitz
                      Message 11 of 21 , Apr 10, 2013
                        I always schedule an interview with the Sponsor during appraisal, preferred somewhere in the middle. And I don't care about specific evidences there.
                        An interview rises the attention of the Sponsor for the appraisal process significantly, and the sponsor always cares about some semantics in preparation of the interview. Once, the EPG-Lead was asked for the answers to give and it was the first real in depth involvement of the sponsor in the improvement process, leaving the management-only role for the first time.
                        When a Sponsor interview is performed in the middle of the interview series, it's possible to align visions for measurements seen in the organization with GQM methods, and if there's a missmatch in vision and real measurement system, you can point it out and discuss that on a very top level platform. I once had a sponsor asking after 15 minutes "Did I kill the level now for the appraisal?" and starting a discussion with me with the words "It's the first time that someone shows me the connection between the business buzzwords and that silly measurement charts that everyone is staring at every month, not knowing what to decide. And I do not see any helpful connection between that. It's silly. We struggle in atomic details for 3 years now, and then there come some guys from outside, don't know anything about our business and shows us a mirror after 3 days and all we can do is get ashamed for being so blind. You can document me as a leader of the CMMI fanclub. Thanks."
                        In these interviews, you can also place messages, that are impossible to place in official result documents.

                        Joachim

                        --- In cmmi_process_improvement@yahoogroups.com, "cyber_rajesh_naik" <naik.rajeshnaik@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Folks,
                        >
                        > I have been meeting the sponsor in the appraisal planning process and the delivery of the final findings.
                        >
                        > Typically, I do not meet the sponsor during the on-site period for affirmation. (However, I do not avoid the sponsor if I accidentally bump into him/ her in the corridor).
                        >
                        > For a very small OU (the size was 40-60 people), I have scheduled affirmation interviews with the sponsor, as he/she was also "higher level management" in the context of GP 2.10 also the direction setter for OPF, OID/OPM (Ever since SCAMPI v1.2 and now 1.3, I have not appraised any small OU).
                        >
                        > Rajesh
                        >
                        > --- In cmmi_process_improvement@yahoogroups.com, Sam Gao <sgao2000@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Interview sponsor is an optional activity conducted at the discretion of the
                        > > appraisal sponsor during the concluding phase of SCAMPI model , which is
                        > > also called "Executive Session". This session "allows the appraisal sponsor
                        > > to discuss any of the findings with the appraisal leader, confirms the
                        > > appraisal sponsor's understanding of the issues, and provides an opportunity
                        > > for appraisal sponsor to provide guidance on any follow-on activities."
                        > > [extract from ATM training PPT, SATT 0911 Module J, page 19] The Executive
                        > > Session is a tailoring option in the Appraisal Plan template for SCAMPI v1.3
                        > > that is provided by SEI.
                        > >

                        > > However, from collecting affirmation standpoint, sponsor may or may not need
                        > > to be interviewed, depending on what role the sponsor plays in the projects
                        > > and during process improvement at organizational level.
                        > >

                        > > "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything". Hope we all
                        > > agree on the model part first, then starts from there.
                        > >

                        > > Sam Gao
                        > >
                        > > CMMI Institute-Certified SCAMPI A Lead Appraiser for CMMI-DEV, CMMI-SVC and
                        > > CMMI-ACQ

                      • Heather Oppenheimer
                        Message 12 of 21 , Apr 12, 2013

                          I really like Joachim’s explanation of how and when he uses a sponsor interview during (in addition to the required “before”) an appraisal!  I especially like that he is explicit about using the interview to help the sponsor see the connection between business needs and CMMI.

                          Heather Oppenheimer

                          www.oppenpartners.com

                        • Orhan KALAYCI
                          Message 13 of 21 , Apr 14, 2013
                            Me too,  I suggest CMMI Institute to take Joachim's the mid-appraisal interview as an improvement suggestion for the SCAMPI A methodology so that the LAs can validate with the sponsor how process improvement objectives are really linked back to business objectives and how the metrics are used in a meaningful way.  [Given the sponsor is the appropriate person to discuss this -> it may also require to discuss the definition and meaning of the sponsor]

                            This reminds me my speech at the PMI Global congress in Istanbul about sponsorship:  http://congresses.pmi.org/EMEA2013/TheCongress/AOF/Event.cfm?EventID=217

                            Cheers,
                            Orhan
                            Toronto
                            Istanbul

                            Orhan Kalayci
                            CEO, co-founder
                            ZOOMtoLearn
                            @Centre for Social Innovation
                            215 Spadina Avenue, Suite 400. Toronto, ON M5T 2C7
                            647 776 7731 x 101 - office
                            647 449 8516  - cell
                            orhan@...