Criteria for selecting the projects in an organization for cmmi L5 appraisal by appraisal firm

  • Sunny Mehta
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5 8:12 PM
      Hi All,

      My company is approching for CMMi L5 and it would be very benificial for me if you guyz can tell about the criteria for selecting the projects for cmmi l5 appraisal by appraisal firm. Is it based on the revenue or cost or resource strength of the project?

      Kindly let me know the detail information.

      Thanks & Warm Regards
      Sunny
    • EDWARD F WELLER III
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7 6:47 PM
        Sunny

        The selection method is explained in the MDD, Section 1.1.4. Your Lead Appraiser is responsible for the selection, using the required 5 sampling factors plus any others that the LA and Sponsor may determine are relevant. You need to have this discussion with your LA.

        Ed

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7 7:15 PM

          Dear  Sunny,

          I recommend that you talk to your “High Maturity SCAMPI Lead Appraiser” about this topic. Ffor sure he/she can give you good explanation and answer to your question. It is important that both of you are in the same page.

          The projects (basic units) are selected based on statistical sampling. The sample should be representative from the population under the scope (organizational unit that is appraised) – inferential statistics.

          I recommend that you see this link http://cmmiinstitute.com/cmmi-solutions/cmmi-appraisals/ , and take a look at the SCAMPI Method Definition Document http://www.sei.cmu.edu/library/abstracts/reports/11hb001.cfm specially Appendix F, it will give you a good idea for your question.

          Best regards,

                      Miguel Serrano

          ~~~~~~

          SCAMPI High Maturity Lead Appraiser

          www.linkedin.com/in/miguelaserrano

          SEONTI

          http://partners.clearmodel.com/partner/seonti-s-a-de-c-v

          My company is approching for CMMi L5 and it would be very benificial for me if you guyz can tell about the criteria for selecting the projects for cmmi l5 appraisal by appraisal firm. Is it based on the revenue or cost or resource strength of the project?

          Kindly let me know the detail information.

          Thanks & Warm Regards

          Sunny

          No virus found in this message.

        • Henry Schneider | PPQC
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7 8:04 PM
            Hi Sunny,
            Ed is perfectly correct.  In addition, your post calls into question that you are even ready for an appraisal, especially ML 5.   I am assuming that this is not your organization's first SCAMPI and therefore your Lead Appraiser should have been working with you and preparing you for this upcoming appraisal.  If this is not the case, your organization needs to hire the services of a High Maturity Lead Appraiser as soon as possible.  Otherwise you will face some serious challenges and risks with achieving ML 5.
            With Kind Regards,
            Henry

            Henry Schneider                                               CMMI Institute-Certified SCAMPI Lead Appraiser
            President/Senior Principal Consultant
            CMMI Institute-Certified High Maturity Lead Appraiser
            Mobile:  832-628-2486
            CMMI Institute-Certified Intro to CMMI Instructor
            Office:  512-614-0840
            Email:  henry@...
            Process and Product Quality Consulting    http://www.ppqc.net
            PPQC Blog                                                       http://PPQC.blogspot.com

            Process and Product Quality Consulting      Facilitating your process journey ...

            From: EDWARD F WELLER III <edwardfwelleriii@...>
            Date: Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:47 PM
            To: <cmmi_process_improvement@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 8 3:54 AM
              Sunny --

              Really? Are you sure?

              Based on the little I know from working on ML3, and the ideas we have been made to think of from our lead appraiser I am at least a little surprised at your question.

              If we asked that question we would be asked if we had read OPD and OPF! And then, if we had read our 5 year business plan and goals. Not the CMMI plan and stuff, the business plan and stuff.

              Joe

              My company is approching for CMMi L5 and it would be very benificial for me if you guyz can tell about the criteria for selecting the projects for cmmi l5 appraisal by appraisal firm. Is it based on the revenue or cost or resource strength of the project?

              Kindly let me know the detail information.

              Thanks & Warm Regards
              Sunny
            • Eswara Chandra Kosaraju
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 8 3:17 PM
                Sunny,

                This article by Neil Potter/Mary Sarky should get you started - http://www.processgroup.com/pgpostjun11.pdf

                Refer to section "scoping and sampling" - v 1.2 used to have focus and non-focus projects, but criteria changed since 1.3.

                Thanks,
                E K

                --
                Eshwar Kosaraju