How long will a CMMI L0 organization achieve CMMI L3?

  • zhangk
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
      hi.all
      my question is as the title.

      Did SEI publish reports/papers which describe the related things?
      where is the latest data?

      Thanks
    • Pat OToole
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011

        Zhang,

        Twice a year, the SEI publishes a report that includes lots of information related to SCAMPI Class A appraisals.  The latest report can be found at:

        Slide 21, “Time to Move Up,” contains a very misleading answer to your question – it indicates that, on average, organizations take 5 months to go from Maturity Level 1 to Maturity Level 2.  The reason that this answer is so misleading is due to the way the SEI calculates this duration.

        The “clock” starts when an organization undergoes a SCAMPI Class A appraisal and receives the bad news that it is Maturity Level 1.  They work furiously for a few months fixing up the one or two goal busting weaknesses, get reassessed, and achieve Maturity Level 2 – thereby “stopping the clock.”  Note that the SEI report for ML1 –> ML2 is based on only 7 organizations – a VERY small population set compared to those for the other reported achievements.

        The problem is, the “clock” does NOT include the 1-3 years of work that the organization invested to get to the point where they could conduct that first SCAMPI A appraisal with the hope of successfully achieving ML2 (and, in this case, coming up a wee bit short); it only counts the time to fill the few gaps.  BTW, this is the same way that the other durations (e.g., ML2 to ML3) are calculated.

        Now, to be fair to the SEI, they are calculating these durations based on the data they have.  I do not have a problem with the way they calculate it, but I DO have a problem with the lack of full disclosure.  I have submitted a change request suggesting that they explain how these numbers are calculated so that organizations like yours don’t get the VERY false impression that you can go from ML1 (or, as you call it in your Subject line, “ML0”) to ML2 in an average of 5 months.  Personally, I think it’s somewhere in the 1.5 – 3 year range.

        Take a look at the report because there is lots of other goodies in there.

        Hope this helps,

        Pat

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
          see http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi/casestudies/profiles/pdfs/upload/2011SeptCMMI-2.pdf   page 21 for part of your answer - the median time to move up, noting the L1 to L2 number is very misleading as there is no accurate indication of how close the L1s were to L2 in the data. Same is true for the 2 to 3 transition, as many orgs rated at L2 may have some or a large part of L3 satisfied at the time of the L2 rating being achieved

          It is really not possible to say how long it will take for an organization to improve their performance such that a L3 rating is achieved. There are too many variables. Also, as there is no Maturity level 0, the question would need to be interpreted as Capability level 0 across all the L2/3 Process areas.

          If that were the case, the organization has far bigger problems than achieving L3

          If you mean "How long will it take an unapprised organization of indeterminate level to reach L3" , then an initial gap analysis would be needed to identify the shortfall. Once that is known, then, depending on size, type of work, resources devoted to process improvement, management and non-management commitment, and many other factors would need to be known.

          Depending on a gap analysis outcome, working with a qualified consultant/lead appraiser and answers to questions in the previous statement, plus other questions, would help in identifying a reasonable timeframe.

          This begs the question of course, as to why the org wants/needs to achieve L3. Absent a strong business need, it might take forever. And if the level and not improvement is the goal, achieving L3 will eventually be a hollow victory.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
            Dear Zhang,
            Go to this web site and your question will be answered.  The SEI publishes an update to this information every 6 months.
            With Kind Regards,
            Henry Schneider

            Henry Schneider                                               SEI-Certified SCAMPI Lead Appraiser
            President/Senior Principal Consultant     SEI-Certified High Maturity Lead Appraiser
            Mobile:  832-628-2486                                SEI-Certified Intro to CMMI Instructor
            Office:  512-614-0840
            Email:  henry@...
            Process and Product Quality Consulting    http://www.ppqc.net
            PPQC Blog                                                       http://PPQC.blogspot.com

            Process and Product Quality Consulting      Facilitating your process journey ...

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2011
              Hi

              Some data are available at:

              http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi/casestudies/profiles/pdfs/upload/2011SeptCMMI-2.pdf (SLIDE NO 21)

              http://askthecmmiappraiser.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-long-does-it-take-to-move-from-cmmi.html

              http://www.cepedasystems.com/cepedasystems/CMMIimportanceforsmallbusiness.pdf

              Again it depends upon the Size of you company, current maturity of practices, Senior Management's commitment etc.

              Thanks & Regards

              Praveen Harkawat
              L & T Mumbai India

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2011