Testing Process " Improve to level 3 "

  • microsoft_egypt_it
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2011
      Whatis the main Focus to improve My Testing Process Area according to CMMI ?
    • Henry Schneider | PPQC
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2011
        This is an extremely broad question to ask.  The CMMI does not provide the primary focus for improvement.  That comes from the organization.  You start by looking at your business goals and objectives.  What are you trying to achieve from a business perspective?  Then examine your business practices to determine if you current processes are supporting your business needs.  Once you have made this determination, then you will be able to answer the question for yourself.  The CMMI merely provides the guidance to help you understand what you should do to achieve your business goals.
        Best Regards,
        Henry Schneider

        Henry Schneider                                               SEI-Certified SCAMPI Lead Appraiser
        President/Senior Principal Consultant     SEI-Certified High Maturity Lead Appraiser
        Mobile:  832-628-2486                                SEI-Certified Intro to CMMI Instructor
        Email:  henry@...
        Process and Product Quality Consulting    http://www.ppqc.net
        PPQC Blog                                                       http://PPQC.blogspot.com

        Process and Product Quality Consulting      Facilitating your process journey ...

        From: microsoft_egypt_it <microsoft_egypt_it@...>
        Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 12:08:28 -0000
        To: <cmmi_process_improvement@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [CMMi Process Improvement] Testing Process " Improve to level 3 "

        Whatis the main Focus to improve My Testing Process Area according to CMMI ?

      • Neil Potter
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2011
          Hi ---,

          There is no "My Testing Process Area" , but you must mean VAL, may be.

          In essence, VAL is:

          - System test plans that include end user environment testing.
          - System test results.
          - Analysis of test data.

          VAL activities can start earlier, by reviewing requirements, doing prototypes and simulations.

          The main purpose is to make sure the final system actually works in the customers intended environment.

          Thanks and regards, Neil Potter
          neil@...
          Cell: 972-418-9541
          Fax: 866-526-4645
          http://www.processgroup.com

          > Whatis the main Focus to improve My Testing Process Area according to CMMI ?

          > Messages in this topic (1)

        • EDWARD F WELLER III
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2011
            Testing is given sketchy coverage as an engineering discipline in TS, PI, VER, and VAL.

            Suggest you look as many of the good text books on testing as a profession to find your answer.

            There are two areas of VER that I find critically important, however

            1) Peer Reviews (static testing)
            2) VER SP 1.1 - Select Work Products for Verification - Product risk analysis will focus testing where it has the biggest impact
            If you do these well you will be on the right track
            Ed

            There is no "My Testing Process Area" , but you must mean VAL, may be.

            In essence, VAL is:

            - System test plans that include end user environment testing.
            - System test results.
            - Analysis of test data.

            VAL activities can start earlier, by reviewing requirements, doing prototypes and simulations.

            The main purpose is to make sure the final system actually works in the customers intended environment.

            Thanks and regards, Neil Potter
            neil@...
            Cell: 972-418-9541
            Fax: 866-526-4645
            http://www.processgroup.com

            > Whatis the main Focus to improve My Testing Process Area according to CMMI ?

            > Messages in this topic (1)

          • dagreergad
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2011
              Assuming that by testing you mean some form of determining the intermediate and final work product(s) and/or service(s) is/are both correct and fit for use, the CMMI addresses the topic of "Testing" in many PAs:

              PPQA addresses the notion of work products being created according to the correct process, this, in a sense is a form of ensuring the work product will be useful to the next person in the value chain, whether they are internal project members or external customers.

              RD addresses ensuring the requirements can be validated by simulated/stimulated/emulated/other use of the product, service, system that you are going to create.

              PI addresses assembling/integrating the various work products into ever increasing units of functionality until they can finally be delivered to the ultimate customer.

              VER discusses both Peer Reviews as a mechanism for ensuring the quality of work products, as well as the standard idea of testing against requirements at different levels of granularity within the product or service architecture

              VAL discusses the idea of fitness for use within the intended and sometimes degraded operational environment, when used and sometimes misused, by the intended and sometimes unintended users.

              Hope this helps.

              DAGreer
              dagreer@...
              510-717-9655
              --- In cmmi_process_improvement@yahoogroups.com, "microsoft_egypt_it" <microsoft_egypt_it@...> wrote:

              > Whatis the main Focus to improve My Testing Process Area according to CMMI ?

            • Pat OToole
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2011

                What is your chief area of concern?  Are too many defects slipping by you?  Does it cost too much or take too long to test your products and work products?  Do your testers lack the skills and knowledge to perform their jobs effectively and efficiently?  Might you achieve greater success using automated test tools?

                The CMMI is not going to tell you what your problems are and precisely how to fix them.  Rather, it provides the good practices that other organizations have determined make them successful, and will suggest that those practices may help you as well.  But WHAT help depends on WHAT problem you’re trying to fix – and THAT is up to you to determine!

                Alternatively, if you have no “problem” per se, the CMMI can help you progress from “world class” to “universe class.”  But, again, the intelligence part of the work is housed in your brain and that of your people.  The CMMI can only provide guidance on where you might look (e.g., process, training, tools as well as VER, VAL, OPP, QPM) and good practices for implementation (e.g., OPF, OPM).

                Regards,

                Pat

              • John Miller
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2011
                  After reading Pat's response, which Pat - you are always so kind with your words - I thought of a couple of possbile additions to consider.

                  1. You could read OPD and OPF and figure out how you could use those practices to figure out what you might want to do regarding your test process, procedures, and other process assets to address the things Pat has suggesting.
                  2. You could do some real world research on what others have done to their organizational and project test process (not the procedures a project creates to verify their product/system requirements) from papers at different events like a test symposium.
                  3 You could decide to find and read Gilb, Kit, Pressman, or so many others on the subject of test, verification, validation, peer reviews, and other similar activities.

                  Regards
                  John