Re: Need sample measurements required at level II

  • Heather Oppenheimer
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2010
      Hi - there are no specific measurements *required* at CMMI ML2 or CL2.  For ML2 you need to satisfy all the goals of MA, which include determining what measurements you will collect based on the infomation needs of your business.  What do you need to know about your product, work, and processes to be successful??

      Several earlier threads have discussions about measurements that people recommend.  They pretty much all fall into the categories of measures related to scope, cost, time, and quality.

      Happy New Year everyone!
      Heather Oppenheimer
      www.oppenpartners.com
    • Pat OToole
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 31, 2010

        Daim,

        Careful with the word “required” as it has a specific meaning within the context of the CMMI.

        Some of the measures that are EXPECTED to be implemented by projects performing at ML2 include size, effort, schedule, and budget estimates and actuals.  (See PP and PMC).

        In addition, GP2.8 in each process area “suggests” (in the informative material) that “monitoring and controlling the process can involve measuring appropriate attributes of the process or work products produced by the process.”

        Finally, MA would suggest that metrics and measures should be considered to address other information needs as well – including those for projects, products, and processes.  That is, don’t simply limit yourself to those areas suggested by the model – rather, when the need for information arises, consider candidate metrics that might help you address those information needs and implement those that provide value and insight.

        Hope this helps,

        Pat

        Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 6:28 AM
        Subject: [CMMi Process Improvement] Need sample measurements required at level II

        Hi,

        Kindly, share with me some measurements required at Level II

        Regards

      • Neil Potter
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 31, 2010
          HI Daim

          There are no specific required measures for ML2. There is a requirement to have at least a measure as part of MA implementation. This would be tied to an objective.

          An example of MA is at

          gp2.8 does not require a measure, although some people do implement 2.8 by a measure

          An example of measures (more aligned with gp3.2, but still not required) is at http://www.processgroup.com/monthlytidbits.html#tidbit4

          Thanks and regards, Neil Potter
          Tel: 972-418-9541
          Fax: 866-526-4645

          On Dec 31, 2010, at 6:28 AM, Daim Phillips wrote:

          Hi,

          Kindly, share with me some measurements required at Level II

          Regards

        • John Miller
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 31, 2010
            Kindly show us the processes and procedures you are currently following and then we might be able to help point out some measures that could make sense to your organization.

            Regards
            John
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2011

              Please see http://www.psmsc.com/. Please also see http://www.sei.cmu.edu/training/find/ and select Measurement and Analysis. Please read http://www.psmsc.com/PSMBook.asp.

              Any template, indicator definition or other information shared with you will give you a false sense of security, since measurement is one step prior to decision making. Your question is akin to requesting us to share some tips on what decisions you have to make.

              Respectfully yours,

              Jorge L. Boria;

              SEI Visiting Scientist (Qualified Observer)

              Senior Advisor, Modelo de Procesos de Software - Brasil

              VP at Liveware Inc. a SEI Partner

              SCAMPI Certified HM Lead Appraiser # 0200168-01 (DEV, SVC)

              Intro to CMMI Certified Instructor (DEV)

              Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Master.

            • Jeffrey Dalton
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2011
                Daim,

                Just the other day I was at a client's SEPG meeting when a guy in the room kept repeating all of the things the "SEI makes you have."  This kind of comment only betrayed his complete lack of knowledge and creative thought. Worse yet, there were  people in the room, desperate to "achieve a leve,l" that actually wanted to believe him!

                Because of this type of mind-numbing thinking I like to start with clients by telling them to "forget the CMMI."  Don't start with it - start with thinking about what measures would really help you run your business - and especially those which will tell you if you are getting better at what you do.  These are the measures related to GP2.8 in Pat's message.

                While the CMMI is touted as a great "starting point" by many people, in practice it can sometimes be an obstacle - and not a great place to start THINKING.  People who use it that way too often limit their thoughts around what's in the book, and that doesn't always lead you where you think it will.

                Once you've gone through the process of deciding what information will tell tell you if you're really GREAT, then go back to the book and fill in some of the blanks.  The GPs will help you understand the infrastrcutre required to make them real.  Good luck!

                Happy New Year!

                Jeff

                Think

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2011
                  Thanks all for your suggestions.
                • EDWARD F WELLER III
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2011
                    As you consider measures early in the continuous improvement effort - it is useful to consider where you plan to be/want to be in the future (I hate to put it in these terms - L3/4/5 - so think of it along the  lines of "If I want to continuously improve, what measurement will be needed to support the org) then you will be able to define the "L2" measurement needs that will evolve to later needs.

                    As an example - you collect actual effort spent on a project. next step is to collect effort by activity on a project - in part to identify rework costs separately from development costs. Next step might be prediction models based on effort by activity. The data you collect would also need tags - i.e., what information do I need to identify type of project, technology., product line, and other information needed to sub-group the data. Looking ahead will enable your next steps

                    So, do not think merely in the short term - think of where you want to be 2-3-4-5 years down the road. Of course the downside is collecting too much too early can be wasteful and lead to "why are we collecting all this data when no one uses it?" questions from the data providers.

                    A delicate balance is needed as well as skillful leadership that can explain and convince the people measurement is worth the effort.
                  • RC Goyal
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 1, 2011
                      Let this Year be the year to be remembered for your kindness, helpfulness,
                      achieving greater hights in the area of your activities that you most
                      cherished.

                      --

                      Thanks & Regards RCGoyal

                      rcgoyal@..., rcgoyal@... , +919820068417, +9169463964